Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: HMALETTER Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 157044  
Subject: Windows adoption Date: 9/25/2012 5:58 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2
I still can't believe how many businesses are running Windows XP. I've seen another company slowly start to adopt W7, and the hiccups have delayed the process a good nine months now. Major company, slow adoption and confusion.

I also have seen the relatively slow rate of W7 adoption in the consumer markets. They did it if they had to. Now the confusion begins with W8. I just haven't seen or heard any evidence that the W8 release will be a huge thing. Possibly the Surface will cause some excitement, but everything seems pretty helter-skelter now.
Print the post Back To Top
Author: 0gre Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 155897 of 157044
Subject: Re: Windows adoption Date: 9/25/2012 7:04 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
Microsoft by nature doesn't grasp the concept of incremental upgrades. They make huge leaps forward with massive changes between generations. At this point, an end user running XP looking to upgrade can just as easily adopt OSX or an iPad as Windows 8. If they have an iPhone, the chances are even higher they will do exactly that.

When you force you users to make big changes, sometimes you don't like the changes they make.

Author: HMALETTER Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 155898 of 157044
Subject: Re: Windows adoption Date: 9/25/2012 7:45 AM
Microsoft by nature doesn't grasp the concept of incremental upgrades. They make huge leaps forward with massive changes between generations. At this point, an end user running XP looking to upgrade can just as easily adopt OSX or an iPad as Windows 8. If they have an iPhone, the chances are even higher they will do exactly that.

When you force you users to make big changes, sometimes you don't like the changes they make.

It takes a lot of work and $$$ to undo years of reliance upon legacy systems built to run XP. Some were done properly, and have few glitches under W7. Some trouble pops up with 32/64 apps. The smart companies waited and planned. I don't know of any business that plans to adopt W8, or has even thought about it. You wouldn't believe the dollars and time spent to convert legacy systems over, especially the old ones using a DOS framework. New compilers, database engines, hardware, total rewrites.

Part of the problem was that many companies have IT departments that spend most of their time fixing PC's and dealing with user complaints and new builds. I know a company that still relies on Dell as their primary source, and about half of their user base (hundreds), have sent their new Dells back for some reason or another. It's a painful, and wasteful use of resources. If you want to feel like a victim of a monopoly, spend some time reviewing the day-to-day activities of a large IT department.

Now I have my own issues moving along and getting up to date on the latest Mac platforms. But nothing like total rebuilds and starting from scratch.

Author: Youngandold One star, 50 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 155901 of 157044
Subject: Re: Windows adoption Date: 9/25/2012 8:15 PM
Recommendations: 0
Windows 7 is fast, clean, awesome. I don't see a lot of reason to upgrade to 8 on a laptop but I am hoping for a good experience on phone ans tablet

Author: HMALETTER Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 155905 of 157044
Subject: Re: Windows adoption Date: 9/26/2012 6:48 AM
True, W7 is much better than XP or Vista. Whenever I work with W7, I can't help but feeling there was a laundry list of things to finish off, complete, tweak. Funny that as an OSX users as well, I found it easier and more familiar to work with than previous Windows versions ;)

It wasn't until after I saw W8 that I realized W7 would never be completed. They were off on something else, and didn't intend to tweak some of the file menus and general flow of the GUI. To this day, I think they erred in not sticking to the general W7 concept and layout. But it will be interesting to see what the verdict is when consumers start buying the first batches of W8 machines.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement