UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (8) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: hookemfins Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 65379  
Subject: Windows File manager vs Finder Date: 1/3/2013 12:28 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I love my Mac Mini. Getting used to Mac OS has been a relative smooth transition except where it comes to finder.

I am used to having all my folders listed first then the files that are not in a folder. I see I can list by kind then date modified but that affects the files not in a folder. Also inside the folder I want it date modified.

Is there an app or a way to get finder to act like windows file manager? I'm sure Apple has their reasons but I think it's a flaw in the system.
Print the post Back To Top
Author: TwoCybers Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 61867 of 65379
Subject: Re: Windows File manager vs Finder Date: 1/3/2013 2:03 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
I understand your frustration - I still appreciate Windows File Manager - it has been 40 months since I switched. I can tell you with time it can get better if one just accepts OSX is different than Windows. Here are some things that may be helpful. First off - it is not easy to find out all the stuff many OSX functions can do - and Finder is a good example. Go to MacMost.com and type in the search window "Finder" Look at the videos that come up. They are in the 4 to 5 minute time range.

Personally I find these good enough that I subscribe in iTunes.

My other main suggestion is a better way to deal with finding or opening files. There is an item in OSX call Spotlight - the little magnifying glass near the right end of the menubar. It does a lot of stuff and in its day I am sure it was awesome. Today I use something called Alfred. You can download a free version - it does a much better job of find things than Spotlight. I purchased the PowerPack which costs 15 British Pounds as I recall. That brings in a lot of additional functionality - I bought it mostly to automate logging in to websites with 1Password. Note: If you get Alfred, download it from the internet. (It is either Alfred or 1Password that can come form the MAS or internet -- but if you upgrade you must be using the internet version. I forgot which has this glitch.) Anyway it does a great job of finding (taking you to the containing folder) or opening files or folders.

Gordon
Atlanta

Author: stevenjklein Big funky green star, 20000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 61905 of 65379
Subject: Re: Windows File manager vs Finder Date: 1/6/2013 7:56 PM
I'm sure Apple has their reasons…

I don't understand that comment at all. If you're asking why Apple didn't choose to copy the Windows File Manager when they created the Finder, then the answer would be that the Finder pre-dates the Windows File Manager.

(I, for one, always found it odd that Windows insists on listing folders first, rather than showing them in alphabetical order with the files.)

If you could explain how you benefit by having folders listed first, then perhaps we can suggest an alternative method of achieving the same benefit using the Finder.

Author: toberead Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 61915 of 65379
Subject: Re: Windows File manager vs Finder Date: 1/6/2013 8:57 PM
Recommendations: 1
I am used to having all my folders listed first then the files that are not in a folder. I see I can list by kind then date modified but that affects the files not in a folder. Also inside the folder I want it date modified. Is there an app or a way to get finder to act like windows file manager? I'm sure Apple has their reasons but I think it's a flaw in the system.

I went in the opposite direction from many people on this board - I've been using Macs for years but I had to start using Windows for work, and now I probably use Windows more than Mac. There are a lot of things in the Mac finder that I really miss in Windows - I think you'll find that the Mac finder has a lot of great features, it just takes some getting used to.

However, if you want to put folders first, there is a program that will do this called Total Finder. I haven't used it but I read about it recently and remembered it when you posted this question. It seems to get good reviews. Unfortunately it costs about $20, although you can try before you buy it. Seems pricey to me, but if you really want this feature, it is available.

http://totalfinder.binaryage.com/

Karen

Author: hookemfins Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 61918 of 65379
Subject: Re: Windows File manager vs Finder Date: 1/7/2013 11:14 AM
(I, for one, always found it odd that Windows insists on listing folders first, rather than showing them in alphabetical order with the files.)

If you could explain how you benefit by having folders listed first, then perhaps we can suggest an alternative method of achieving the same benefit using the Finder.

For one thing, it's what I am used to.

IMO folders are the corner stone to organization. Do you want your Doctors office having your files loose or in a folder?

I have folders for various prospects, clients, properties..etc. Since I access them more often I need them up top. I know you can organize by kind but that affects to loose files I have under the folders.

I have spoken with quite a few Mac people (Apple Store, Apple Care and others I encounter) and they all agree that the Windows file system is a better organized. As I said, it is the ONE and ONLY part of the conversion I am struggling with.

Author: hookemfins Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 61919 of 65379
Subject: Re: Windows File manager vs Finder Date: 1/7/2013 11:22 AM
However, if you want to put folders first, there is a program that will do this called Total Finder. I haven't used it but I read about it recently and remembered it when you posted this question. It seems to get good reviews. Unfortunately it costs about $20, although you can try before you buy it. Seems pricey to me, but if you really want this feature, it is available.

Yea I agree, $20 is a bit much. I did find a hack and once I get my Mac mini back (HD went bad) I'll try it.

Thanks

Author: awlabrador Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 61920 of 65379
Subject: Re: Windows File manager vs Finder Date: 1/7/2013 1:43 PM
I know this isn't exactly what you're looking for, but I put my most frequently used folders in the sidebar of the Finder windows. It gives me easy access to important folders from anywhere in the Finder or from within any other folder in my filesystem, and it's rearrangeable. Folders in the sidebar are aliases to the originals, pointing to the actual locations in your filesystem. I'm not sure where those Favorites aliases themselves are stored.

It won't necessarily help if you keep more than a handful or two of folders there, but if you manage it and clean out infrequently used folders, then it's an alternative.

-awlabrador

Author: stevenjklein Big funky green star, 20000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 61932 of 65379
Subject: Re: Windows File manager vs Finder Date: 1/7/2013 11:19 PM
My doctor's office doesn't toss loose documents into filing cabinets. Every document is in a folder. Perhaps you should use that example as a model. If you don't put any loose files in your documents folder, that should solve the problem for you.

Some tips, in no particular order…

You should also learn to leverage spotlight to quickly find the files and folders you want. I have many thousands of documents on my Mac, but I almost never browse through the documents folder looking for one.

Do you know that spotlight searches file contents, not just file names? Do you know about saved searches?

And don't forget that you can quickly jump to recent folders from the Finder's Go menu.

You may also find column view useful.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (8) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement