UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (9) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: Myownigloo Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 190816  
Subject: Windows Live Mesh ActiveX for Remote Connections Date: 1/11/2013 2:43 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I've been having speed issues and CPU overload for some time now and have been searching for why this is happening.

I note that the referenced program appears in my programs in several different languages. I suspect it's all the same program. It's just named in English, Chinese, French, Spanish, and a couple of other unknown languages with cyrillic characters. They are all the exact same size and they were all installed on the same day in July 2012.

At around that time, I had gotten what was supposed to be a one-time analysis of my computer by the company from whom I bought my internet security/firewall protection. It was one of those deals where they could continue the service monthly if I signed up afterwards.

I suspect that they installed these programs on my computer so they could look at it from a distance.

Am I wrong? Is that what it's for?

Since I didn't continue with the service, would it hurt to remove the program?

What are the chances that these are all identical programs but named in different languages so that anyone fluent in another language could find the program?

If so, would it hurt if I deleted all but the English version?

MOI
Print the post Back To Top
Author: chasb Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 183325 of 190816
Subject: Re: Windows Live Mesh ActiveX for Remote Connect Date: 1/11/2013 3:15 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
Clone your hard drive and then delete the programs.

If there are any untoward affects, pop in the clone and continue.

Or, if you want to keep the original "C" drive, boot from the clone and clone backwards.

Charlie Brown

Author: Myownigloo Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 183326 of 190816
Subject: Re: Windows Live Mesh ActiveX for Remote Connect Date: 1/11/2013 3:39 PM
Clone your hard drive and then delete the programs.

If there are any untoward affects, pop in the clone and continue.

Or, if you want to keep the original "C" drive, boot from the clone and clone backwards.

I see the words.

I have no idea what you're talking about. I have two recent system backups. Is that the same thing?

I also have Spybot program that offers to "create a CD to boot and clean from." Is that cloning?

MOI

Author: ptheland Big gold star, 5000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 183328 of 190816
Subject: Re: Windows Live Mesh ActiveX for Remote Connect Date: 1/11/2013 3:55 PM
I see the words.

I have no idea what you're talking about.

Then don't worry about it. It can be a bit complex to do what he's asking, and might involve opening up your computer and swapping some things around.

Out of sheer curiosity, I did a bit of poking around with Google. It looks like Windows Live Mesh is some kind of file sharing system. And I'm sure it's something that Microsoft is discontinuing in the very near future.

Based on that, I'll stick my neck out and say it's OK to uninstall those programs. I was a bit concerned that they might be some kind of spyware or virus. I'm guessing they're not, just a legit program that you no longer need (and won't be able to use soon even if you did).

Before you do that, I'd wait for confirmation from someone smarter than me.

--Peter

Author: Myownigloo Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 183329 of 190816
Subject: Re: Windows Live Mesh ActiveX for Remote Connect Date: 1/11/2013 4:01 PM
Before you do that, I'd wait for confirmation from someone smarter than me.

Thank you.

So, anyone smarter than Peter?

Please post your IQ before responding.

:)

MOI

Author: exeter17 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 183330 of 190816
Subject: Re: Windows Live Mesh ActiveX for Remote Connect Date: 1/11/2013 9:31 PM
Live Mesh is safe to remove. If you don't know what it is, you don't use it :)

Windows search will also slow your machine as well.

Author: Myownigloo Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 183331 of 190816
Subject: Re: Windows Live Mesh ActiveX for Remote Connect Date: 1/11/2013 9:55 PM
Live Mesh is safe to remove. If you don't know what it is, you don't use it :)

Windows search will also slow your machine as well.

Thanks! I already removed them all after Peter said that (and after looking it up online myself and confirming I don't use it at all).

Windows search? Is that what the program is called?

I have noticed an improvement in speed since I liberated those programs, but that could as easily be related to the computer having finished is updates. Not sure.

MOI

Author: riprock45 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 183332 of 190816
Subject: Re: Windows Live Mesh ActiveX for Remote Connect Date: 1/11/2013 11:08 PM
Windows has been floundering around with file sharing for years. They haven't got it right yet.

They started with "Foldershare" then changed it to "Windows Livesync", then it became "Windows Live Mesh" which brings us to you. They will discontinue Live mesh in Feb 13. Now they have "Skydrive" which is actually kind of usable.

They were all programs to help synchronize data between two (or among many) devices over the internet.

It's unlikely that your service company installed it to monitor you. It was part of a package called "Windows Essentials" which they installed as a common package.

If you don't use it, or don't even know what it is, just get rid of it.

Here's how:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-live/essentials-u...

Rip

Author: exeter17 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 183335 of 190816
Subject: Re: Windows Live Mesh ActiveX for Remote Connect Date: 1/12/2013 11:35 AM
You can do either:

Stop the "Windows Indexer" or "Windows Search" service. Or in control panel you can remove windows components => search feature

I have an SSD so I don't care about the "search" feature. Plus even in Windows 7 its kinda dumb and doesn't back off when your computer is under high load.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (9) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement