UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (22) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: feedmeNOWhuman Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 1967147  
Subject: Wingnuts attack science yet again Date: 2/25/2014 12:56 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 50
Now there is parental notification with an opt-out option!

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/news/missouri-anti-evolution-la...

A Missouri lawmaker has proposed what ranks among the most anti-evolution legislation in recent years, which would require schools to notify parents if "the theory of evolution by natural selection" was being taught at their child's school and give them the opportunity to opt out of the class.

State Rep. Rick Brattin (R), who sponsored the bill, told a local TV station last week that teaching only evolution in school was "indoctrination."

“It’s an absolute infringement on people’s beliefs,” Brattin told the Kansas City Star of requiring schools to teach evolution. “What’s being taught is just as much faith and, you know, just as much pulled out of the air as, say, any religion."

Except for the fact that evolution has predicted the discovery of countless fossils, like Tiktaalik.

But at least you admit that religion is pulled out of the air, and therefore has no business in the science classroom.
Print the post Back To Top
Author: FoolishWaldo Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1923958 of 1967147
Subject: Re: Wingnuts attack science yet again Date: 2/25/2014 2:38 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Mi<A Missouri lawmaker has proposed what ranks among the most anti-evolution legislation in recent years, which would require schools to notify parents if "the theory of evolution by natural selection" was being taught at their child's school and give them the opportunity to opt out of the class.

State Rep. Rick Brattin (R), who sponsored the bill, told a local TV station last week that teaching only evolution in school was "indoctrination."

“It’s an absolute infringement on people’s beliefs,” Brattin told the Kansas City Star of requiring schools to teach evolution. “What’s being taught is just as much faith and, you know, just as much pulled out of the air as, say, any religion."

American Exceptionalism in action.

Author: kenm47 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1923970 of 1967147
Subject: Re: Wingnuts attack science yet again Date: 2/25/2014 8:43 AM
These frakkin' ignorance spreading morots!

Ken

Author: nigelwhalmsley Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1923977 of 1967147
Subject: Re: Wingnuts attack science yet again Date: 2/25/2014 9:16 AM
Recommendations: 1

---

I wonder how he feels about math. Maybe they want to have kids opt out of that as well...

Author: Vetiver Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1923989 of 1967147
Subject: Re: Wingnuts attack science yet again Date: 2/25/2014 10:02 AM
Recommendations: 34
" if "the theory of evolution by natural selection" was being taught at their child's school and give them the opportunity to opt out of the class."

when the kids get to college, if they a pursuing a meteorology degree the parents can also opt them out of thermo-dynamics and fluid dynamics.

If the parents believe in a 5,000 year earth they can also opt them out of nuclear physics (that e=mc^2 thin and an anything else having to do with the speed of light) as well as forestry (no point in counting tree rings if it does not give you the answer you want).

The kids can also be exempted from any study of optics, since the first rainbow only appeared after Noah's flood, the calculations that show rainbows forming under very common conditions, whenever there is localized rain and bright sun, are obviously wrong.

If they chose to be a metallurgist, they can also be exempted from any study of crystal growth ( those pesky measurements that show iron meteorites cooling over millions of years when the universe is only 5K years Old)

In fact, the kids can be exempted from any study of the natural world or the underlying properties that direct it.

V.

Author: MasonMcDan Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1924018 of 1967147
Subject: Re: Wingnuts attack science yet again Date: 2/25/2014 12:01 PM
If the parents believe in a 5,000 year earth they can also opt them out of nuclear physics (that e=mc^2 thin and an anything else having to do with the speed of light) as well as forestry (no point in counting tree rings if it does not give you the answer you want).

I wonder what they think of the deep field pictures from Hubble.

I guess God speeds up light, so the most distant object is only 6000 light years away.

Author: alstroemeria Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1924035 of 1967147
Subject: Re: Wingnuts attack science yet again Date: 2/25/2014 12:41 PM
I wonder what they think of the deep field pictures from Hubble.

lalalalalala, I can't see you!

Author: MasonMcDan Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1924061 of 1967147
Subject: Re: Wingnuts attack science yet again Date: 2/25/2014 1:24 PM
lalalalalala, I can't see you!

Red shift and Doppler. Clearly the work of Satan. Those train whistles and ambulance sirens know where I am and *choose* to change their pitch!

Author: PosFCF Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1924075 of 1967147
Subject: Re: Wingnuts attack science yet again Date: 2/25/2014 2:33 PM
Recommendations: 2
I wonder what these people think of antibiotics? If there is no evolution then there should be no need to have more than one kind of antibiotic for a given disease, right? How did MRSA occur?

I wonder how DDT resistant mosquitoes happened?

I picked these two because those that hold these anti-evolutionary viewpoints have small minds, so I picked small proofs of evolution at work. I still may have picked examples too large for them to grasp though.

Poz

Author: csayre Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1924102 of 1967147
Subject: Re: Wingnuts attack science yet again Date: 2/25/2014 4:23 PM
I wonder what these people think of antibiotics? If there is no evolution then there should be no need to have more than one kind of antibiotic for a given disease, right? How did MRSA occur?

I wonder how DDT resistant mosquitoes happened?

I picked these two because those that hold these anti-evolutionary viewpoints have small minds, so I picked small proofs of evolution at work. I still may have picked examples too large for them to grasp though.

Poz

They believe in the inch, but not the mile.

csayre

Author: JDCRex Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1924104 of 1967147
Subject: Re: Wingnuts attack science yet again Date: 2/25/2014 4:30 PM
I wonder how they think the fuel that goes into their beloved NASCAR Jaysus-approved vehicles works.

What do they think made the oil that it's refined from -- and how long it took to get there?

Author: JoelCairo Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1924107 of 1967147
Subject: Re: Wingnuts attack science yet again Date: 2/25/2014 4:34 PM
I'm curious what you think...

Normally, reality deniers -- the people who deny tobacco's danger with phony science, who think prohibition works and had phony science to prove it, who deny human-based climate change with phony science -- are just the peons of those who make a lot of money so long as the denial holds.

Who makes money off of denial of the truth of evolution?

Author: JDCRex Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1924108 of 1967147
Subject: Re: Wingnuts attack science yet again Date: 2/25/2014 4:37 PM
Recommendations: 2
Who makes money off of denial of the truth of evolution?

Televangelists.

And politicians use it as a wedge issue.

Author: CairnDad Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1924142 of 1967147
Subject: Re: Wingnuts attack science yet again Date: 2/25/2014 8:32 PM
This is not an attack on science.

This is an expansion of parental rights.

Author: CairnDad Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1924144 of 1967147
Subject: Re: Wingnuts attack science yet again Date: 2/25/2014 8:37 PM
when the kids get to college, if they a pursuing a meteorology degree the parents can also opt them out of thermo-dynamics and fluid dynamics.

The kids can also be exempted from any study of optics, since the first rainbow only appeared after Noah's flood, the calculations that show rainbows forming under very common conditions, whenever there is localized rain and bright sun, are obviously wrong.

If they chose to be a metallurgist, they can also be exempted from any study of crystal growth ( those pesky measurements that show iron meteorites cooling over millions of years when the universe is only 5K years Old)

In fact, the kids can be exempted from any study of the natural world or the underlying properties that direct it.

When the kids get to college, they will be adults and parental rights will no longer be a factor. Also, college is not government mandated.

Author: crassfool Big funky green star, 20000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1924160 of 1967147
Subject: Re: Wingnuts attack science yet again Date: 2/26/2014 12:35 AM
CairnDad says

Thank you for playing.

Author: PosFCF Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1924170 of 1967147
Subject: Re: Wingnuts attack science yet again Date: 2/26/2014 8:24 AM
Recommendations: 3

You already have the parental right to turn out adult idiots, through home schooling. This expands your right to do that to every other child.

Author: CairnDad Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1924179 of 1967147
Subject: Re: Wingnuts attack science yet again Date: 2/26/2014 9:21 AM
You already have the parental right to turn out adult idiots, through home schooling. This expands your right to do that to every other child.

How does having the right to pull my child out of the class expand my right to do that to every other child? If the other child's parent wants to leave him/her in, they can do that.

Author: NoSeeUm Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1924187 of 1967147
Subject: Re: Wingnuts attack science yet again Date: 2/26/2014 10:04 AM
Agreed, CD: You have a God-given right to have stupid children.

.....The very same right your own parents had.

Jimbo

Author: Vetiver Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1924190 of 1967147
Subject: Re: Wingnuts attack science yet again Date: 2/26/2014 10:20 AM
Recommendations: 3
"When the kids get to college, they will be adults and parental rights will no longer be a factor."

You wish. By the time the kids get to college they will have had a dozen years of indoctrination into applying magical thinking instead of scientific analysis and they will not have had the basic science to prepare them for any college science course. While the kids can certainly decide to change their path, they will be starting out well behind their peers that a good high school science education and behind the rest of the world.

As with learning new languages, the younger you are when you are introduced to your science education, the easier time you will have grasping and applying the concepts. Finishing high scool with big holes in your background, being taught to ignore observable data... As I noted in other posts, science is not just learning for learning's sake. All of those principles get applied to make things and cure diseases and such. If you can not apply those principals, you can not get those jobs. If you start off, as a young person, 4 years or 8 years behind your global peers, yes the parents matter all the way through college.

V.

Author: feedmeNOWhuman Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1924320 of 1967147
Subject: Re: Wingnuts attack science yet again Date: 2/26/2014 7:49 PM
Agreed, CD: You have a God-given right to have stupid children.

.....The very same right your own parents had.

But those stupid children don't have the right to a state-certified diploma.

Author: kenora Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1924473 of 1967147
Subject: Re: Wingnuts attack science yet again Date: 2/27/2014 4:17 PM
He would rather teach myths as fact and critical thinking as a sin.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (22) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement