No. of Recommendations: 1

Well this is where it starts to get tricky...There are a multitude of providers out there...with more contracts out there than one can possibly shake a stick at. But I'll try to provide a brief rundown of the major companies, as well as the various types of plans.

First off the websites of the major players (not all carriers are national as of my writing this). You will need to check with the individual carrier to see if they have service in your area.

Sprint PCS.... http://s4.sprintpcs.com/index.html

AT&T Wireless.... www.attws.com/personal/buy/main.jsp

Vodafone Airtouch... www.airtouch.com/home.html

Bell Atlantic Mobile... www.bellatlanticmobile.com/

U.S. Cellular... www.uscc.com/uscc_com/SilverStream/Pages/index.html

Bell South... www.bellsouth.com/bsol/estore/content/clr/clr_map_fla.htm

Currently there are three plans out there that bear discussion. The call anywhere plans...the local area plans...and the prepaid plan.

Call anywhere...best for those who travel a lot, and don't want to have to deal with roaming charges. For a 500 minute plan you can expect to pay between 10 and 15 cents a minute. The advantages are no roaming charges, no long distance charges...However a local call will cost as much as a long distance one...

Local area plan...best for those who are only going to use their phone in the specified home (local) area. Here the prices are a bit cheaper 8-12 cents a minute for a 500 minute plan, but there are some drawbacks. The primary one being you must pay an additional 15 cents a minute for long distance calls. Other advantages...some plans will give you free nights and weekend calling in the local area.

Prepaid plans...I haven't found much info on these plans, but those that I did find looked to be quite pricey...

So that's a brief overview of the plans and what is out there...Have a good one, Michael
Print the post  

Announcements

Live Video Event Monday!
The GP team is hosting a live video event on Monday at 4 p.m. ET. Don't worry if you can't make it — we'll have a replay and a transcript. Click for more!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement