Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (16) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: emma06 Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 19483  
Subject: Wireless headphones Date: 11/17/2006 4:09 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
My father is almost totally deaf. He has a hearing aid. When he tries to watch TV the volume is at the max and it blast everyone else out of the room. I've seen these infrared headsets with a transmitter that sits on the TV but don't know anyone who's tried them.

Has any retired fool tried the IR headphones and do they work ?

Michelle
Print the post Back To Top
Author: khintul Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 10907 of 19483
Subject: Re: Wireless headphones Date: 11/17/2006 4:18 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2
Michelle,
I don't have any personal experience with them, but I have some friends who had the same issue with their grandfather who was living with them. They bought the headphones for grandpa to use, and reported that they were totally great. Grandpa was happy because he could hear his shows, and they were happy because they could listen in peace.

Karon

Author: DoLoop Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 10908 of 19483
Subject: Re: Wireless headphones Date: 11/17/2006 4:37 PM
Let your dad be part of the process of buying the headphones to assure that they are compatible with his HA's. Most of the ones I've seen have "ear buds" which probably would not work with any HA's.

I had an IR device for the tv some years ago and had it rigged up to use a set of normal lightweight, padded earphones which would sit on top of my HA's.

That particular device didn't work very well however, because I had to be in an "exact" position in order to receive the signal from the transmitter (which was on top of the tv). If I moved as little as a couple of inches one way or the other, the sound quality would drop off drastically. Maybe that's not an issue any more - or maybe that was a problem only with that particular brand/model. In any case, it kind of turned me off to the whole idea of IR devices. I ended up rigging up a hard-wired "extension cord" type of thing that I plugged into the tv and draped across the living room floor. I don't even use that any more - now, I just read the captions.

Author: tedhimself Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 10909 of 19483
Subject: Re: Wireless headphones Date: 11/17/2006 4:37 PM
They bought the headphones for grandpa to use, and reported that they were totally great. Grandpa was happy because he could hear his shows, and they were happy because they could listen in peace.

That is good to hear. DW runs the TV much too loud to suit me. I'd really like headphones that worked with a radio signal so she could still hear the sound when she leaves the room for a minute.
Ted

Author: mendomann Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 10910 of 19483
Subject: Re: Wireless headphones Date: 11/17/2006 5:15 PM
A friend of mine, who is hearing impaired, has an infrared listing device and swears by it. It is a box that sits on top of his TV that transmits audio to a set of earphones, where the listener can adjust the volume, tone and balance. It is called TV Ears and retails for about $100. He bought his at Costco.

Author: KenAtPcs Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 10911 of 19483
Subject: Re: Wireless headphones Date: 11/17/2006 5:37 PM
Has any retired fool tried the IR headphones and do they work ?

I wouldn't recommend the IR ones. I did quite a lot of research into wireless headphones last year, and the IR ones require line-of-sight between the transmitter and the headset. In general, the reviews were much more positive for RF units.

I actually bought 3 wireless headphones, one at a time, until I found one I liked. I paid as much as $150, and as little as $37.

I'm very happy with the one I purchased, an RCA WHP140 (Amazon link):
http://tinyurl.com/y4kr3h

Seems like now many reviewers don't like it, but I have few complaints. It does sometimes require adjusting the tuning knob on the headset, but it's no big deal.

I'd suggest whatever you get, you buy it someplace that you can return it if it doesn't work out for your father. Like I said, I didn't like the first 2 I tried.

Good luck,

Ken

Author: edcosoft Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 10912 of 19483
Subject: Re: Wireless headphones Date: 11/17/2006 11:11 PM
I use all three kinds, infra-red, RF and hard-wired. I like them all but :

The hard-wired ones are unweildy, dragging the cord and knocking things over on the coffee table. They are the oldest (they were my fathers in the late 1970s') They have a vollumn controo on each ear and are by far the best fidelity.

The infrared does require line-of -sight and difficult to find a proper place to mount it, Also the batteries wear out. The static when the "line" is broken is sometimes intolerable. It has a single volumn control.

The RF set has a rechargable battery, a volumn contro,land comes with all the plug adapters you'll ever need, recargeable bateris and 110V plug-in. It must be "tuned" to the right frequency (of 3 choices), which is a bit touchy. LUckily it doesn't drift. Handy to not miss any dialog when I have to use the bathroom. If I had to pick one, or when I get another, it will be RF. I originally got a set at Radio Shack which were so bad I returned them. The ones I have now are Acoustic Research 900 MHz. The sound goes through walls and good for severl hundred feet.

None of these interfere with my hearing aids as they are all "muff" ear pieces. I find the speech a bit more clear in the earphones than the actual TV speakers but since my hearing aids are to adapt to high-end loss I must have them one even though volumn is ample.

ON all of these you have to rig something to between the amplifier's plug and your set. If you just plug them in to the earphone jack it turs the sound off on the TV. There are a set of jumpers for audio out but you need a "Y" splitter to connect those two outlets with your transmiters' single inlet.

ed

Author: OldOne Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 10913 of 19483
Subject: Re: Wireless headphones Date: 11/17/2006 11:41 PM
As an alternative suggestion, consider placing a pair of extension speakers right next to your father's favorite chair.

If the speaker is 6" from his ear, he may be able to hear at a volume level everyone else can tolerate, and there is nothing to wear...

Author: Greenerd Two stars, 250 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 10914 of 19483
Subject: Re: Wireless headphones Date: 11/17/2006 11:48 PM
My dad has the VCR's next to his easy chair and runs the audio through an amplifier (for big speakers) and plugs in his padded headphones.

He now often forgets to turn up the volume for the normal folks.

Bob

Author: emma06 Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 10915 of 19483
Subject: Re: Wireless headphones Date: 11/18/2006 12:23 AM
Recommendations: 1
They bought the headphones for grandpa to use, and reported that they were totally great. Grandpa was happy because he could hear his shows, and they were happy because they could listen in peace.

That is good to hear. DW runs the TV much too loud to suit me. I'd really like headphones that worked with a radio signal so she could still hear the sound when she leaves the room for a minute.

Ted,

The headphones I'm thinking of buying for my father can be viewed on this website:www.activeandable.com

They sell products that are helpful for seniors.

Michelle

Author: emma06 Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 10916 of 19483
Subject: Re: Wireless headphones Date: 11/18/2006 12:26 AM
A friend of mine, who is hearing impaired, has an infrared listing device and swears by it. It is a box that sits on top of his TV that transmits audio to a set of earphones, where the listener can adjust the volume, tone and balance. It is called TV Ears and retails for about $100. He bought his at Costco.

Thanks for the tip, I'll check those out.

Author: arahfool Two stars, 250 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 10917 of 19483
Subject: Re: Wireless headphones Date: 11/18/2006 9:10 AM
I second the recommendation for the Acoustic Research headsets. I have the AW791 model that features surround sound and are very comfortable to wear. Not having to strain to hear and comprehend the dialog, not to mention umpteen 'what did he say' queries to the DW is priceless.

You can check the specs on them at http://www.shoptronics.com/acreawdodisu.html .

arahfool

Author: emma06 Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 10918 of 19483
Subject: Re: Wireless headphones Date: 11/18/2006 4:36 PM
second the recommendation for the Acoustic Research headsets. I have the AW791 model that features surround sound and are very comfortable to wear. Not having to strain to hear and comprehend the dialog, not to mention umpteen 'what did he say' queries to the DW is priceless.

You can check the specs on them at http://www.shoptronics.com/acreawdodisu.html .

Having purchased AR products in the past this is the one I'm going to buy for my Dad. Thank you so very much for taking the time to write and share the information.

Michelle

Author: MichaelRead Big gold star, 5000 posts Feste Award Winner! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 10919 of 19483
Subject: Re: Wireless headphones Date: 11/19/2006 12:52 AM
Recommendations: 1
I second the recommendation for the Acoustic Research headsets. I have the AW791 model that features surround sound and are very comfortable to wear. Not having to strain to hear and comprehend the dialog, not to mention umpteen 'what did he say' queries to the DW is priceless.

Having purchased AR products in the past this is the one I'm going to buy for my Dad. Thank you so very much for taking the time to write and share the information.

Michelle

To shore up buying the Acoustic Research headset. Hal brought up one of the most important things about headphones: comfort. In our studio we have large can-type headphones because they have the fidelity but equally they don't hurt your ears after an hour or so of wearing them.

Tip: don't make the headband too tight but let the phones sit comfortably to the fleshy part of the ears. Most people tighten headphones too much but the correct placement is having the feeling they can be brushed off.

The other thing is that your Dad may want to remove his hearing aids when wearing the headphones since the frequency response of headphones (especially the AR's) exceeds that of hearing aids. You'll have to experiment with what satisfies him.

Small point but an important one: the cabling to the transmitter. Go to Radio Shack and get a good mid-range cable set. It does make a difference since the transmitter carries a better signal when it has a better cable.

Another point in favor of headphones. What makes TV sound for the hearing impaired hard to hear even with hearing aids is the room reverberation especially as it affects bass. The sound from the TV's speakers bounces off all surfaces and while those with better hearing discount this reverb, those with a problem hearing say it makes listening harder. So headphones are the way to go. Headphones virtually eliminate muddying room reverb.

MichaelR

Author: tedhimself Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 10926 of 19483
Subject: Re: Wireless headphones Date: 11/19/2006 9:53 AM
One other thing to try. I have a TV that can be switched from stereo to mono. Even with headphones, I find that I can understand the dialog better in monophonic sound. "Your mileage may vary," but it might be worth a try if your TV's menu allows you to do this.
Ted

Author: tji1248 Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 11026 of 19483
Subject: Re: Wireless headphones Date: 1/19/2007 11:26 PM
Michelle,

I use a wireless headset at night so my wife can readwhile I watch my westerns. Alo use one when I work out in the AM at home. Great for both times. Just make sure you get a high quality set.

Tim

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (16) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement