UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: ringoffire One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 4031  
Subject: Wireless Internet: AT&T ? Date: 10/30/2008 2:43 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
This was originally posted on the LBYM board here http://boards.fool.com/Message.asp?mid=27145792 , but I just noticed there's a board here on wireless stuff. If anybody is skimming through here, I would like to get your feedback.

Also, I am in New York City and it looksl ike AT&T wireless services are essentially almost everywhere here.

- - - - - - -

For about 8-12 weeks (until I can finally decide on a suitable laptop to buy), I have a PC laptop loaner from a friend. The only thing he suggested was to get my own wireless internet access and card, which is necessary because in some of the areas where I work and travel, wifi access is very awkward, or difficult.

I am very close to ordering the AT&T Laptop Connect. I have never had a laptop, nor am I familiar with wireless internet issues, but I'm trying to figure it out. Here in NYC, it sounds like all the areas we would work with the laptop is wholly serviced by AT&T and it seems to have a good service and availability reputation, as far as I can tell. (Other services like T-Mobile are available, but can be much more erratic or slower.)

My understanding, please correct me if I'm wrong!, is that once I finally order and receive my own laptop, the wireless card can be switched to my new machine and other than possibly downloading appropriate software, there is nothing else i need to worry about. Is this true?

With an employee discount, the monthly cost with a two-year contract is $48/month for the higher-access plan, which is a 20% reduction from the usual $60/month. For now, I am struggling between what is the real difference and relevance between two different cards: "Option GT Ultra (refurb)" and the "Option GT Ultra Express (Refurb)." Note that these are "Refurb" which mean they are free with the contract (otherwise they would be $99 each).

Other than the type of connection (the regular Ultra has the regular PC Type II slot, the Express has a USB), is there any difference between the two?

If you have any other suggestions or tips about ordering either wifi service, wifi cards, or even laptops in general (PC preferred, but also considering Mac), please let me know.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post Back To Top
Author: zsimpson Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 4026 of 4031
Subject: Re: Wireless Internet: AT&T ? Date: 12/4/2008 2:52 AM
Recommendations: 0
I am very close to ordering the AT&T Laptop Connect. I have never had a laptop, nor am I familiar with wireless internet issues, but I'm trying to figure it out. Here in NYC, it sounds like all the areas we would work with the laptop is wholly serviced by AT&T and it seems to have a good service and availability reputation, as far as I can tell. (Other services like T-Mobile are available, but can be much more erratic or slower.)

I live in Atlanta, not NYC, but here, there is no difference between the level of service between ATT & T-Mobile. MOF, from what I've experienced, T-Mobile was more reliable. I've had both, and Sandman is a BLS retiree.

My understanding, please correct me if I'm wrong!, is that once I finally order and receive my own laptop, the wireless card can be switched to my new machine and other than possibly downloading appropriate software, there is nothing else i need to worry about. Is this true?

And the monthly fee, of course. BTW, the cards are slower than a regular Wi-Fi connection. The cards are working on ell phone bandwidth - aka radio waves. Do not expect speeds like you get with a wireless to router signal.

Other than the type of connection (the regular Ultra has the regular PC Type II slot, the Express has a USB), is there any difference between the two?

I can't help with those details.

If you have any other suggestions or tips about ordering either wifi service, wifi cards, or even laptops in general (PC preferred, but also considering Mac), please let me know.

Also from experience, the Macs tend to have a stronger signal when using the built-in wireless. There are other details, too, like they tend to be more stable, everything is already built-in, etc. I don't know how much of a consideration price is, but because the Macs come with everything already, they tend to be more expensive than regular PCs which tend to have fewer features.
HTH,
Kathleen

Print the post Back To Top
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement