Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 2
WiscFool writes:

Thanks for the info. The property is in Illinois. Is there something I have to file to renounce the gift I still have to file this quitclaim, or would that be instead of it? How can I find out if it is a gift?

My mother says it's not a gift, but this was after my father said it is a gift, and I'm quite sure neither of them know what they're talking about. Meanwhile, they keep wondering why I want to talk to their lawyer directly instead of relying on whatever nonsense they tell me.

I reply:

Since the property is located in Illinois, Illinois law probably will control whether you can renounce the attempted gift, and if so, how. I can't imagine how the transaction could have been anything but a gift, because you didn't pay for any interest in the property and you had no rights to it. If the value of your putative interest is enough to trigger gift tax concerns, then you should probably bite the bullet and hire a lawyer of your own. Do NOT rely on your parents' lawyer; he is paid to have their interests in mind, not yours, and the two might very well diverge. --Bob
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.