No. of Recommendations: 0
I just recently started my 401(k) through Fidelity. I max out the allowable contribution at 13% which my company matches 46% of it (6% total) at 55% rate with company stock. When I went through the list of available funds, I was very disappointed since there aren't that many funds to choose from, specially in the small cap section. I know from other postings that I have to diversify so I tried my best to choose from different types of funds.

Below is the list of available funds and the percentage that I have in my 401(k):
1. Company stock (10%)
2. Large Cap: (30% total)
- Domini Social Equity
- Fidelity Blue Chip
- Fidelity Equity Income (10%)
- Fidelity Over-the-counter Portfolio (20%)
- Spartan US Equity Index
3. Mid Cap: (10% total)
- Alger Small Cap RTM (10%)
4. Small Cap:
- Fidelity Low Pr Stk
5. International: (20% total)
- Fidelity Divers Intl (20%)
- Templeton World A
6. Blend Fund Investments (25% total)
- Fidelity Freedom 2000
- Fidelity Freedom 2010
- Fidelity Freedom 2020
- Fidelity Freedom 2030 (20%)
- Fidelity Freedom 2040
- Fidelity Freedom Income
- Fidelity Balanced (5%)
7. Bond Investments (5% total)
- Income: Pimco Tot Return Adm (5%)
8. Short-term Investments
- Fidelity Retire Mmkt

I think that I have a high tolerance of risk because I will not touch this account for another 30-35 years (I'm 24yo) and I plan to open a Roth IRA account soon. Do you think my portfolio is wisely diversified? If not, could you please point out where sections I should cut from and which ones I should put more? For my Roth IRA, should I concentrate more in a growth fund, a value fund, an index fund or a specific company stock?

Note: I have asked those mutual fund companies to send me their prospectus so I can have a better understanding of what the mutual funds consist of.

Feel free to make comments on this situation. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated! Thank you very much.

wizard1994

Print the post  

Announcements

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement