Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (24) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: Foolferlove Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 444991  
Subject: Wish me luck! "Coming out" event Date: 10/14/2002 3:15 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 47
Tomorrow I am have the honor of attending a breakfast with Dr. Michael Newdow, who sued and was able to get a court to decide that "under god" in the pledge was unconstitutional (but you all know who he is, of course).

After that I am going to the state courthouse in montgomery alabama to join a protest against the 10 Commandments display at the state supreme court. The protest is being held just before the suit against Judge Roy Moore, who placed them there in the first place.

Although it is not exactly a secret to those who know me that I'm an atheist, it's quite a different thing to appear in public. This event will likely generate some tv and paper press coverage. There is likely to be some backlash...especially from my girlfriend's parents who are true fundies, and happen to live in montgomery as well. It will definitely be interesting.

I'm a little nervous just typing this. It's not easy being an atheist in alabama, and although I've been here 7 years this is my first activist type activity. But with Judge Roy Moore wanting to make this a christian nation, and with prayer before all the football games (yes it still goes on dispite the past rulings against it) any visibility for atheists will be helpful to rally the few non-religious and religious-freedom people here in the state to make a stand against the christian right that has gripped this state.

You should see all of the political commercials here. EVERY CANDIDATE, no exageration, has an image of them attending church or praying with their family...Republicans and Democrats. Sigh.

I'll let you all know how it goes!
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (24) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Implications of the Ballad of Ted Plotz
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement