No. of Recommendations: 0
With a 30 year time horizon, I don't think you're taking too much risk. If you have the stomach for it, you *might* even be able to take a little more with more daring asset classes and market sectors.

I'd presonally add growth and value components to your large cap and small cap holdings. I'd probably add 10-15% in REITs as well. I'd consider another 10% or so in more risky but potentially rewarding investments like emerging markets, natural resources and sector plays.

With 30 years to go and a stomach for volatility you don't need bonds yet -- but I do think some REITs are worth considering. With no bonds and 30 years to go, I'd look at something like this:

15% large cap growth
15% large cap value
15% small cap growth
15% small cap value
15% international developed markets
10% REIT
5% emerging markets
10% Other*

* Other could be more allocations into the classes above or could be sector plays (such as natural resources and health care, my two favorite sectors) or things like precious metals and micro-caps. As these are more risky, I'd not consider more than a total of about 10% in these categories.

I personally don't think mid-caps are that necessary. They tend to act halfway between large caps and small caps, and if you hold small and large caps your overall domestic portfolio acts more like mid caps in terms of return and volatility, anyway.

Again, this assumes that you are shooting for maximum growth with at least some dampened volatility through asset allocation, and that you have 30+ years to go AND a stomach for weathering storms in the market.

Print the post  

Announcements

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement