UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (46) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: meili99 Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 308360  
Subject: with debt, want a wedding! Date: 1/13/2005 10:43 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
hi, i've been around just a few weeks and have found reading these boards to be extremely helpful. so thanks in advance!

i'd like some advice. my boyfriend and i have about $10,000 total in CC debt, maybe about $30,000 in student loans, and own our condo. we bought the condo a year and a half ago for $175,000. right now, we are trying to be as aggressive as we can on our cc debt so there isn't much room to save. so here's what i was wondering....

my bf (fiancee i guess) are planning our wedding for june '06. we are guessing that it will cost around $9,000. i had thought that taking out a home equity line of credit would be the way to go, but someone just told me that i couldn't do that if i have two morgages (i do). so i have to look into that. regardless, does anyone have any other ideas on financing it? is a $9,000 too much for a wedding with the amount of debt we have?
Print the post Back To Top
Author: xraymd Big gold star, 5000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 195417 of 308360
Subject: Re: with debt, want a wedding! Date: 1/13/2005 10:48 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 11
Greetings, meili99, welcome to the boards but you will want to don your flame-proof suit because you are certain to get a fair number of heated replies regarding starting off married life $9000 further in debt than you are!

I will leave it to others to offer advice, helpful or possibly otherwise. But I will leave you with this thought: what else in your future together could you benefit from by not having spent $9000 for just one day? Why not commemorate your commitment to one another by choosing instead to have a frugal, intimate, special, SMALL ceremony and reception and celebrate your increasing financial freedom (and life freedom) by not saddling yourself with another 25% of debt load compared to the debt you ALREADY have?

Okay, I guess I could not resist editorializing. But, indeed, you may WANT a $9000 wedding - but do you NEED a $9000 wedding? Think this over thoroughly. What would that $9000 spent that way ultimately cost you later?

xraymd

Author: credit4life Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 195418 of 308360
Subject: Re: with debt, want a wedding! Date: 1/13/2005 10:52 AM
Recommendations: 1
W/out sounding like sexism, wedding to female means lot more than it is to us man.

Having said that, $9000 further debt does sounds like crazy idea to start off the wedding.

Maybe you guys will have to get more jobs or save more money before you can jump on to that goal... I am trying to do the samething here....

good luck~~

Author: Smurfette823 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 195421 of 308360
Subject: Re: with debt, want a wedding! Date: 1/13/2005 11:12 AM
Recommendations: 11
meili99,

is a $9,000 too much for a wedding with the amount of debt we have?

In my humble opinion, YESSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Marriages are hard enough when you don't start out $224,000 in debt. The most common reason for divorce in the first two years? MONEY!

If there is no logical reason to hurry the wedding, pay the debt off first (at least the credit cards) and then pay for the wedding in cash. Or have a cheaper wedding now, and pay for it in cash. Either way, I would avoid acquiring more debt like the plague.

If you want help on how to go about doing that, we're definitely here for you. Keep posting and asking questions.

Cheers
Smurfette

Author: dswing Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 195422 of 308360
Subject: Re: with debt, want a wedding! Date: 1/13/2005 11:15 AM
Recommendations: 4
meli99:

The problem here is that weddings are often an EMOTIONAL purchase, as opposed to a regular-old purchase. People tend to make big mistakes when they let their emotions rule their finances.

Look at it this way. The rule about living debt free and recovering from past debts is that you don't pay for ANYTHING that you can't save money over time and pay in cash. Period.

Following this rule, you're allowed to have your $9,000 wedding when you can save up and pay cash for it. Period.

Make sense?

If you're already planning a wedding that you can't pay for, this sounds a lot like the thinking that got you into debt in the first place. Also I'd recommend the book "The Richest Man in Babylon" if you haven't read it yet. It addresses many of the issues you are facing.

Best of luck,

~dswing

Author: Aranknitter Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 195423 of 308360
Subject: Re: with debt, want a wedding! Date: 1/13/2005 11:17 AM
Recommendations: 2
is a $9,000 too much for a wedding with the amount of debt we have?
Yes. Especially if you don't plan to pay the $10K CC debt off by then.

Even if you ARE planning to pay the CC debt off, you'd do better to save some money and pay out of savings rather than run up more debt to replace the $10K.

Why not go to the courthouse?????

Author: MaestroCindi Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 195426 of 308360
Subject: Re: with debt, want a wedding! Date: 1/13/2005 11:24 AM
How much are you putting towards the cc monthly? If you're currently paying $1000-1500/month towards the cc, it's possibly you could pay off your cc this year, and once they're paid off put that money towards the wedding. Of course it also depends on other priorities. If say you want to start a family soon, it might be better not to have the $9K wedding at all so you can pay off your student loans quicker if you want to save for your child's education, since it can be hard to afford children, save for their college, plus pay off your own college loans. If you're not looking to have kids anytime soon or at all, this isn't as much of an issue. Obviously only paying down debt and not buying any "luxuries" like a wedding is the best option, but if your heart's set on a wedding (and if there's pressure from family, which sometimes there is) I'd look into what you could afford without taking on MORE debt, even if that means worst-case-scenario your current debt level stays where it's at.

If you decide to have the wedding, look for lower cost options. June is usually a very popular month for weddings, so prices are usually higher. You might want to marry later in the year if you can get better deals.

Author: Fuskie Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Ticker Guide SC1 Red Winner of the 2010 Rule Breakers Challenge Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 195429 of 308360
Subject: Re: with debt, want a wedding! Date: 1/13/2005 11:33 AM
my bf (fiancee i guess) are planning our wedding for june '06. we are guessing that it will cost around $9,000. i had thought that taking out a home equity line of credit would be the way to go, but someone just told me that i couldn't do that if i have two morgages (i do). so i have to look into that. regardless, does anyone have any other ideas on financing it? is a $9,000 too much for a wedding with the amount of debt we have?

On TLC's For Better Or For Worse they plan beautiful weddings for under $1000. Not that I watch, but I see promos for it while watching In A Fix. So let me ask a few questions to bridge the gamp between dreams and reality.

Why do you have two mortgages? Is there another property besides the condo? A HELOC is based partly on your credit rating and partly on the equity in your home. If the condo cost $175, how much did you pay down and what is it's current value? Note that I do not recommend using your home to finance your marriage. I do not recommend using your home to pay off debt. I recommend only using your home to finance improvements that increase the value of our home. I call that equity reinvesting.

That said, would you have to pay for the dream wedding up front, a downpayment, or not until you actually tie the knot? If the latter, you can save $9000 by setting aside $500/mo over the next 18 months. Not an easy task if you are also trying to pay down your CC debt as well. Why would the wedding cost so much? Is there any way to scale it down a little and still maintain the impact you desire?

Is there any way to get some help from family? It has always been traditional that the bride's parents pay for the wedding, bu I realize that we live in a modern era. Still, if Mom and Dad want to chip in, I would not say no. Does BF share the same feelings about the wedding? Whatever decisions you make you should make together.

Fuskie
Who wishes you the best and hopes the wait is worth the anticipation...

Author: eudaimon6 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 195430 of 308360
Subject: Re: with debt, want a wedding! Date: 1/13/2005 11:34 AM
I can only say that my lovely wife and I waited to tie the knot until we had all our credit cards paid off in full and could afford to pay cash for the wedding. The scale of our wedding was determined by how much cash we had. We waited about a year and a half to get married so we could achieve our goals. Its been four and a half years, and I could not possibly be happier with our decision.

Sounds to me like you need to find about $19000 in your budget over the course of the next 18 months. What do you think?

Author: dswing Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 195431 of 308360
Subject: Re: with debt, want a wedding! Date: 1/13/2005 11:38 AM
Recommendations: 3

If family pressures are driving you to have this wedding on a certain timetable, then maybe your family members can foot most of the wedding bill.

If your own "wants" are driving you to have this wedding on a certain timetable, you should re-examine your wants.

(Side Note: your living situation (buying property with someone you're not married to), your waffling about whether to call your "boyfriend" your fiancee or not, your debt load, and your burning need for a wedding make me question your motives in general. Maybe you can enlighten us further so we don't worry that you're rushing into a bad marriage!)

~ dswing

Author: dswing Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 195433 of 308360
Subject: Re: with debt, want a wedding! Date: 1/13/2005 11:51 AM
Why would the wedding cost so much? Is there any way to scale it down a little and still maintain the impact you desire?

Hey Fuskie, good advice as always. But have you tried to pay for a wedding lately? I'm sure it varies by geography, but after seeing my sister plan her wedding, staying on the short side of 10 grand for a church wedding and reception IS being frugal.

It's hard to find a dance hall or country club that will rent you the space for under $1,500 to $2K. And then you have to fill it with stuff like tables, chairs, and oh yeah FOOD for 100-200 people, and you have to pay for the church, the flowers, the clothes, the photographer, gifts for the bridesmaids and groomsmen, and oh yeah music and decorations and MORE FOOD, and a cake (which are NOT cheap) big enough for 100-200 people, and oh yeah ALCOHOL ... and I know for a fact I'm still leaving a bunch of stuff out, like invitations and stationery and napkins and programs and ...

~dswing

Author: Aranknitter Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 195434 of 308360
Subject: Re: with debt, want a wedding! Date: 1/13/2005 11:55 AM
It's hard to find a dance hall or country club that will rent you the space for under $1,500 to $2K. And then you have to fill it with stuff like tables, chairs, and oh yeah FOOD for 100-200 people, and you have to pay for the church, the flowers, the clothes, the photographer, gifts for the bridesmaids and groomsmen, and oh yeah music and decorations and MORE FOOD, and a cake (which are NOT cheap) big enough for 100-200 people, and oh yeah ALCOHOL ... and I know for a fact I'm still leaving a bunch of stuff out, like invitations and stationery and napkins and programs and ...

A good way to cut the price down a bit is to NOT tell them it is for a wedding until you have prices. Call up a hall and say you want to rent for a day for a party of 100 people to get the prices. When you formalize the booking and use the "wedding" word, it's too late for them to add 50% to the price!

Author: cattleman22 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 195435 of 308360
Subject: Re: with debt, want a wedding! Date: 1/13/2005 12:15 PM
{{and you have to pay for the church,}}

Really? I guess we were fortunate as my wife's church lets members use the church for free, though we gave a donation.

{{and oh yeah FOOD for 100-200 people}}

This can vary greatly. Are you having a fancy sit down wedding or just have snack foods.

{{and oh yeah ALCOHOL}}

Why do you have to have alcohol? The church hall our reception was held in forbids alcohol.

c

Author: BigRazorbackFan One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 195436 of 308360
Subject: Re: with debt, want a wedding! Date: 1/13/2005 12:18 PM
OK. June 06 is WAAAAAAAY down the road! That gives you plenty of time to do the following things.

1) Figure out why the heck you ended up in debt in the first place and determine not to let it happen again. Not judging here but just being realistic. If you aren't committed to getting out of debt, then there is not reason to discuss this matter.

2) Bargain hunt. I am not one of those people who thinks you should have a private or small wedding just to save money (though it's definitely a cheaper option if you are up for it...as is a destination wedding). If it's important to you to have all your friends and family, have em. But that doesn't mean you have to spend a lot of money. Cake is made out of flower and water. It should not cost 3.75 a slice. Contrary to popular opinion (by that I mean foolish people), more expensive doesn't mean better. Our "cheap cake" was incredible. Dresses can be bought on ebay, friends can take pictures (of course, don't be an idiot. Ask the guy who has been doing it for a hobby for 10 years).

The bad news is everything "wedding" related cost 3 times as much as it should. The good news is that everybody in this "industry" is self employed and you can ask for a bargain. (If you aren't working with people who are self-employed, I can already promise you you're paying too much.)

3) Pay off your debt. You have a year and a half! Change jobs, cut your expenses. Work two jobs if you have to. Between the two of you you should be able to pay for your wedding, pay off your credit cards, and pay cash for your honeymoon with the amount of time we are talking about. Plus, it's something you can do together that will set the tone of your marriage.

Definitely don't go into debt for a wedding that is 17 months away.

Hogsfan

PS Congratulations

Author: Aranknitter Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 195438 of 308360
Subject: Re: with debt, want a wedding! Date: 1/13/2005 12:35 PM

Really? I guess we were fortunate as my wife's church lets members use the church for free, though we gave a donation.

Yeah, I was wondering what religion that was, actually. When the in-laws got married, their Episcopal church didn't charge them at all, for either the use of the church or the priest's time. And when two friends of mine got married their Catholic church didn't charge them for that either. By contrast, the couple across the road mentioned hiring a hotel garden for their wedding and paying a licensed guy to come there to marry them - it was a good chunk of their budget. It seems to me that it is more common to not have to pay for a minister's time and pay for the venue of the vows if one has a church wedding, rather than a secular wedding.

Author: Fuskie Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Ticker Guide SC1 Red Winner of the 2010 Rule Breakers Challenge Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 195440 of 308360
Subject: Re: with debt, want a wedding! Date: 1/13/2005 12:49 PM
Hey Fuskie, good advice as always. But have you tried to pay for a wedding lately? I'm sure it varies by geography, but after seeing my sister plan her wedding, staying on the short side of 10 grand for a church wedding and reception IS being frugal.

Well, I have to disclaim that in general I am far away from having personal experience with weddings, but if and when it becomes my turn, my bride would share my frugal nature or else we would not likely be betrothed. We would keep it small, simple, and about us and not the guests.

Most of what you listed are choices. For example (and this is way OT here), why do you need a program? Everyone there knows who the bride and groom are, or will by the end of the ceremony. I would guess that most people can not afford $10k for a wedding, although I am sure many spend it anyway. Then they shell out $$ for the honeymoon and start their marriage deep in debt.

Fuskie
Who respects those couples who want the dream, but has lived too long to escape reality...

Author: dswing Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 195441 of 308360
Subject: Re: with debt, want a wedding! Date: 1/13/2005 12:51 PM
Recommendations: 4

{{and oh yeah ALCOHOL}}

Why do you have to have alcohol? The church hall our reception was held in forbids alcohol.

Let's restate the obvious again. You don't HAVE to have any of those things -- e.g. my friend who got married in the back yard.

Maybe this is because I live outside the bible belt, but if you don't think wedding receptions and booze don't go together, we've been going to very different weddings!

~dswing

Author: dswing Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 195443 of 308360
Subject: Re: with debt, want a wedding! Date: 1/13/2005 1:07 PM

Yeah, I was wondering what religion that was, actually. When the in-laws got married, their Episcopal church didn't charge them at all, for either the use of the church or the priest's time.

Not to keep posting to this thread ad-infinitum -- this is my last one honest (maybe) -- but obviously YMMV. My sister's wedding was in a large catholic church, more like a cathedral, in a metropolitan area. The demand for weddings there is high, and the number of ceremonies performed there is restricted. Call it a tithe, or a donation, or whatever, I assure you it was not free to get married there. In fact it was quite expensive and I believe the "donation" was non-negotiable.

Your church in Yourtown USA may well be free. But I do believe most of them would still have an unwritten rule that you should donate unless you already tithe on a regular basis. But all this is being way too nitpicky. My only point is that you can EASILY spend $9K on a wedding without trying too hard, especially if you live in a metro area.

~dswing

Author: Aranknitter Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 195444 of 308360
Subject: Re: with debt, want a wedding! Date: 1/13/2005 1:16 PM
My sister's wedding was in a large catholic church, more like a cathedral, in a metropolitan area. The demand for weddings there is high, and the number of ceremonies performed there is restricted. Call it a tithe, or a donation, or whatever, I assure you it was not free to get married there. In fact it was quite expensive and I believe the "donation" was non-negotiable.

Your church in Yourtown USA may well be free.

I have no idea whether the church in Mytown charges or not. The inlaws live in Atlanta, the wedding in question was there.

The donations are not automatically mandatory either. Some couples really cannot afford a large donation, and under Catholic canon law they are not married if they do not marry in a Catholic church. Due to this, most priests will waive the donation if faced by a hard-up couple from their parish. Of course, they are less inclined to waive it if the hard-up couple has 100 people coming and is throwing a lavish reception party. :) Or if the couple doesn't belong to their parish.

Author: Smurfette823 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 195446 of 308360
Subject: Re: with debt, want a wedding! Date: 1/13/2005 1:23 PM
I thought of something else to add to the conversation on budget weddings.... someone mentioned asking your friends for help with photography, which is an excellent idea. Same goes for everything - get your graphic designer friend to do the invites, get your friend who loves to bake to do the cake, get your friend with the nicely decorated place to do the flowers, etc. You might be surprised how happy people are to help out when you ask and explain your goal (your goal is no more debt, in case you hadn't picked that up yet!). My mom is getting remarried in June, and I'm doing the cake, and my sister is doing the flowers. Try to find a wholesale florist in your area... generally they're self-help but the prices can't be beat. Shop around for cheap vases. You can also call the local community college and ask for suggestions, or post flyers. I'm sure they have a cooking school or photography classes in your area with students in need of some money.

Good luck,
Smurfette

Author: xtn Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 195449 of 308360
Subject: Re: with debt, want a wedding! Date: 1/13/2005 1:44 PM
Recommendations: 22
staying on the short side of 10 grand for a church wedding and reception IS being frugal.

It is easy to see why you think it difficult to stay under $10K. You seem to think all that stuff you listed is mandatory. Well it isn't.

People who think outside the box generally come out better off than those who don't.

We had about 120 people at our wedding three years ago. The rounded off numbers are:

$150 for the dress
$250 for folding chairs and tables
$100 for the cakes
$100 for the judge
$740 for catering
$100 for sodas/punches
$100 alchohol
$200 for cups, plates, silverware, napkins, tbl cloths
$150 for disposable cameras and developing
$250 for invitations
$200 probably in small untracked incidentals

It didn't LOOK fancy, but damned if it wasn't the best fun ever. When we started planning, I told my bride I never wanted to look back and remember what a hassle our wedding had been. I only wanted to look back and remember how great a day it was. So any issue that came up causing any grief was simply discarded as an issue at all. The night we started to feel stressed about flowers choices we stopped right there and decided to go out and pick wildflowers the morning of the ceremony and put them im plastic cups on the tables. Strike the flower issue off the list. When food and its cost became an issue we just called around to BBQ joints until we found one that would bring its buffet truck out for $6 per person with ham, brisket, tater salad, slaw, baked beans, etc. We had a backyard BBQ reception with a horseshoe tourney for adults and water balloons for kids.

Now that might not be the kind of wedding that ends up on a magazine cover, but we had the greatest time, didn't bother with a lot of nagging problems, and started our future together with $0 debt of ANY kind. We've been married for three years last June and have never yet had one single arguement about any money issue, except once when we argued over which investment was better suited for our goals. Trust me, if that's the worst money arguement you ever have you will be much more likely to stay in love with one another.

xtn

Author: xtn Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 195450 of 308360
Subject: Re: with debt, want a wedding! Date: 1/13/2005 1:53 PM
My only point is that you can EASILY spend $9K on a wedding without trying too hard, especially if you live in a metro area.

Well certainly you can easily spend $9K on a wedding.

MY point is that you can just as easily spend under $2500 on 120 people.

Living in a metro area doesn't change anything. Sure, if you pick a SPECIFIC high-demand church, that changes something, but the geography doesn't. I'll bet you a million dollars that you can pick any intersection in any major metro area, and I can find a place to get married free within a mile.

How much you spend on stuff above and beyond the basic necessities of life is a CHOICE. If you keep going through life using excuses about your geography for your spending habits, you might end up with less than you dreamed of.

xtn

Author: AbsGal Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 195451 of 308360
Subject: Re: with debt, want a wedding! Date: 1/13/2005 1:59 PM
Recommendations: 8
Hi Meili99,

I too offer a welcome to you, an anecdote and a perspective.

DH and I married in our apartment. His college professor (PH.D. in Theology) married us for $25. I borrowed a dress, brother took the photos, Mom brought the cake and napkins, we had about 12 people total. We also spent about $500 for two to go on a Barefoot Cruise and we just celebrated our 19th wedding anniversary.

My uncle married his bride in the backyard of a friend. It was beautifully decorated with its own natural foliage and loving friends and family members brought the wonderful food. It was by far, the most fun I've ever had at a wedding and cost barely anything for the couple. (And it allowed all of us to express our devotion to these two - gifts of love in lieu of gifts of things.)

As Fuskie said, it'll take you $500 a month to "save" up for the wedding. I would add that you could get a nice get-away or a smaller, informal gig -- thereby still commemorating the event and making some nice memories -- for $1000. That would mean having to save only $55 a month!

Having said all that, weddings are extremely personal choices. I didn't need or want a big one, but I would never want to try to make someone feel badly because they do. In the end though, perhaps your question should not be "from whom can I borrow the money to finance my wedding" but instead ask "what changes must I make to PAY for it?"

Good luck and congratulations!

AbsGal

Author: Fuskie Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Ticker Guide SC1 Red Winner of the 2010 Rule Breakers Challenge Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 195452 of 308360
Subject: Re: with debt, want a wedding! Date: 1/13/2005 1:59 PM
It kind of surprises me that there is not a board for Fools planning a wedding, considering the fiscal aspects. I bet if you started one you would quickly attrack some Fools, professionals as well as those who have been 'round the track a few times (if you know what I mean), who could give loads of advice over the next 18 months.

Fuskie
Who is so far out of his comfort zone...

Author: meili99 Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 195453 of 308360
Subject: Re: with debt, want a wedding! Date: 1/13/2005 2:05 PM
whoa! i leave for two hours look what ensues! :)

i really appreciate the frank and honest replies. i had been thinking about a lot of what you talked about.... specificially about the fact that i don't *need* a $9,000 wedding. it's just the wedding i have been thinking about ever since i was a little girl. :( i do believe those who say that it's not about the frills of a ceremony, it's about the person you are marrying. it's just hard, because i'd really like to get married in hawaii, beach, etc. a luxury, i know.

ok, to respond to what some of you have said:

i'm not sure why i have two morgages. i am young, so this first purchase was a whirlwind. i tried to ask as many questions as possible, but man, it was tough to get everything. i think it's because my morgage broker was trying to avoid me having to pay PMI (insurance, right?).

motivies for relationship are good. we've been together for 5 years and he's really the one that took a leap of faith on that purchase. at the time we bought, he was in grad school, so it made more sense for us to use my credit (since i was working and he had no income) so although he and his parents contributed to the downpayment, his name is not on the morgage/title. he has been really supportive in our (my) mission to get us out of debt.

why am i in debt: i made bad decisions right after i got out of college. put too much on my cc for start-up costs instead of trying to work with what i had. i'd say my weakness is that i occasionally make impulse purchases (ha! irony of wedding!), though i have curbed that in the last year.

we, together, put between $400-500 towards cc each month. such a waste!!!!!!!!

whew, i think that's it. thanks again for your two cents.

Author: PanemetCircenses Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 195454 of 308360
Subject: Re: with debt, want a wedding! Date: 1/13/2005 2:31 PM
i'm not sure why i have two morgages. i am young, so this first purchase was a whirlwind. i tried to ask as many questions as possible, but man, it was tough to get everything. i think it's because my morgage broker was trying to avoid me having to pay PMI (insurance, right?).

That makes sense. In general, you're probably better off bootstrapping a second mortgage ratherr than having to resort to paying PMI.

why am i in debt: i made bad decisions right after i got out of college. put too much on my cc for start-up costs instead of trying to work with what i had. i'd say my weakness is that i occasionally make impulse purchases (ha! irony of wedding!), though i have curbed that in the last year.

You sound like you have figured out the causes and have built up a system to keep the damage from recurring. That's a good step.

Also, FWIW, sometimes there is no avoiding going into a little bit of CC debt. For example, my wife has a friend who, when she was finishing up at college and looking to go to grad school had no resources other than her credit card. She had to put her trips to look at potential grad schools on her credit card. Took her a while to pay it back, but it was an expense that was worth it to ther and she has no regrets (AFAIK) about having done it.

You have to make the deicision yourself just how important each aspect of the wedding is for you and whether it is worth having that amount of debt on your credit cards since spending money on the wedding is, for all practical purposes, the same as putting the money on your credit card. I can't tell you to do it or not to do it -- that decision is yours (and your fiance's of course).

Just try to get back out of debt as soon as you can.

Every dollar you put towards the debt reduces the amount of interest you have to pay out the next month. After you get out of debt, every dollar you save increases the amount of income you will receive in interest the next month.

All the best,
B+C

Author: xtn Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 195455 of 308360
Subject: Re: with debt, want a wedding! Date: 1/13/2005 2:38 PM
...as well as those who have been 'round the track a few times (if you know what I mean), who could give loads of advice over the next 18 months.

LOL what makes you think people who have a history of relationship failures are credible advisers on the subject?

Just kidding. I am myself learning how sometimes the wisest people are the ones who have been there and already made the mistakes.

xtn

Author: DeltaDog2 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 195458 of 308360
Subject: Re: with debt, want a wedding! Date: 1/13/2005 3:00 PM
It kind of surprises me that there is not a board for Fools planning a wedding, considering the fiscal aspects. I bet if you started one you would quickly attrack some Fools, professionals as well as those who have been 'round the track a few times (if you know what I mean), who could give loads of advice over the next 18 months.

There is one actually:
http://boards.fool.com/Messages.asp?bid=113553

Not a lot of posts... but maybe some good advice in there at least! Maybe if you start posting it'll attract others too.

Author: SueLinder Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 195461 of 308360
Subject: Re: with debt, want a wedding! Date: 1/13/2005 3:32 PM
Hi Meili:

All the suggestions I had about the debt have already been pointed out by the other good people on this Board.

I have a suggestion with respect to your wedding plans. A friend of mine recently married in November. She had a wedding that looked like a million bucks for under $5000 - and yes, she had a church wedding, 120 guests, a fancy schmancy hotel reception, fabulous dress, flowers, etc. When we sat down and discussed this, she gave me the low down, some of which I've listed here for you:

1. Make your own invitations. There are great packages and samples available at good stationery stores for fairly reasonable prices. You may need a good printer and some volunteers to help you create them. Search the Internet and see if you can find a good company online to deal with.

2. Get married in the "off-season". Everyone wants to get married in the summer. If you get married after the "wedding season", you may be able to get the hall/hotel of your choice, flowers, caterer, photographers, etc. at a lower price with a few complimentary items thrown in (ie. freebies). I say this because when it's low season, you as the consumer have a way more negotiating power with businesses.

3 Dresses. I'm not sure where you live, but you can definitely save yourself a ton of cash if you buy at the end of the wedding season (September or October, I think) - and most dresses go at 50 percent off by that time.

Good luck with your plans.

S.

Author: nikkiheaven Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 195462 of 308360
Subject: Re: with debt, want a wedding! Date: 1/13/2005 3:49 PM
"It kind of surprises me that there is not a board for Fools planning a wedding, considering the fiscal aspects"

http://boards.fool.com/Messages.asp?bid=113553

Now you know Motley Fool has a board for all your needs!

Author: Minxie Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 195463 of 308360
Subject: Re: with debt, want a wedding! Date: 1/13/2005 3:56 PM
Why not get married in a small intimate ceremony now and then celebrate your ten-year anniversary by renewing your vows with a larger ceremony?

Minxie

Author: Fuskie Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Ticker Guide SC1 Red Winner of the 2010 Rule Breakers Challenge Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 195464 of 308360
Subject: Re: with debt, want a wedding! Date: 1/13/2005 4:14 PM
LOL what makes you think people who have a history of relationship failures are credible advisers on the subject?

Because for every failed marriage their was a wedding.

Fuskie
Who would not be surprised if each one was successively cheaper and lower key too...

Author: Minxie Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 195468 of 308360
Subject: Re: with debt, want a wedding! Date: 1/13/2005 4:52 PM
Fuskie
Who is so far out of his comfort zone...

Oh, come on now, Fuskie...you know you secretly watch "A Wedding Story"! "In a Fix" is just your code name for it, isn't it? ;-)

Minxie

Author: terminalwriter Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 195481 of 308360
Subject: Re: with debt, want a wedding! Date: 1/13/2005 5:46 PM
3 Dresses. I'm not sure where you live, but you can definitely save yourself a ton of cash if you buy at the end of the wedding season (September or October, I think) - and most dresses go at 50 percent off by that time.

Or find a friend that knows how to sew. My wife's aunt made her wedding dress, it was beautiful and only cost us the material.

TW

Author: dianakalt Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 195538 of 308360
Subject: Re: with debt, want a wedding! Date: 1/14/2005 11:52 AM
Why not get married in a small intimate ceremony now and then celebrate your ten-year anniversary by renewing your vows with a larger ceremony?

Wow, since when do wedding vows have a 10 year limit?

Seriously, vow renewal services irritate the crap out of me...the whole premise doesn't make sense, since weddign vows are FOR LIFE.

Author: Aranknitter Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 195548 of 308360
Subject: Re: with debt, want a wedding! Date: 1/14/2005 1:02 PM
In the end though, perhaps your question should not be "from whom can I borrow the money to finance my wedding" but instead ask "what changes must I make to PAY for it?"

I'll suggest another possible change - get your flowers from the supermarket and don't tell them that the arrangements are for a wedding. I'm serious. My in-laws did just that. They told us the florist was going to charge 3x as much as the supermarket did. We didn't even know that the supermarket had done the flowers till afterwards! The table centrepieces and the bride's bouquet in particular, were gorgeous. But they all were great.

Author: Aranknitter Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 195549 of 308360
Subject: Re: with debt, want a wedding! Date: 1/14/2005 1:07 PM

Because they'll have had so many weddings that they'll know how to save money on any wedding. :)

Author: JBeauty Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 195554 of 308360
Subject: Re: with debt, want a wedding! Date: 1/14/2005 1:56 PM
I have to agree with xtn. It is possible to throw a wedding for less, but it requires creativity and not getting caught up in the whole wedding industry.

Check out the wedding books section for books about how to get married for less. I an understand your concerns, as I am engaged and in the midst of planning my own modest wedding.

At first, my fiancee assumed that getting married would cost $30,000. I tried to pitch eloping, but when it was clear his heart was set on a wedding with his friends and family, I predicted that I could do a nice reception for $1000 for 50 people. Well ... I was wrong. It is looking more like $2000, because I forgot to factor in some expenses you only get at weddings and I decided catering it was the only sane way that I could enjoy the day.

There are a few key decisions that make a big difference in the cost. Limiting the guest list is one. Choosing a lunch and daytime wedding at a state park was another. Making it casual, rather than a formal affair is another. Having a longer engagement, to allow time to save helps too.

Sit down and think to yourself, what is most important? We all have wants that can exceed our paychecks, but if you hit the really important things, then the day will be a success.

Two of my friends got married and decided 150 people was the minimum guest list. So they got creative. They hunted everywhere until they found a lodge in a State Forest they could rent for $75/day. They had involved all their friends in helping ... and we felt better for being able to be a part. They picked wild flowers, so only had to pay for the bride's bouquet. They hand made pottery cups, which served as the wedding favors. They printed their own brochures off the computer. Everything was thoughtful, an expression of their values, and so perfect. Total cost $5000.

So you don't have to spend a gazillion dollars to have a beautiful wedding, but you may have to invest time, effort, and bargain shop like you would for anything else.

With my own wedding, once we knew the budget was more like $2000, we started saving $70/month for the 2 year engagment. Every time I would get a bright idea for something we could spend money on, I would think about the budget and what I would have to give up to include that thing. And what felt right was having that guest list of 50 close friends in an intimate setting for a mountain top ceremony, so the inconsequential things that I might have blown money on if I wasn't keeping the big picture in mind was set aside.

Paying that $70/month into the wedding account also brought home reality for me. I tried working out $130/month so we could invite more people and spend more, but month after month I kept struggling to set aside the $70, so I knew that was a reasonable amount. It is also why I agreed to 2 year engagement instead of 1 year, because the payments are lower and it gave Fred more time to work on paying down debt.

Will I spend more than $2000? Probably a bit, but not as much more as I might if I didn't create a budget. I mean I was thinking of having us ride up in a horse-drawn carraiage, but that alone might run $500, so it became clear that was just out of the question. And really, we would have just ended up smelling like horse ... :-)

Also, remember your friends have things they might be willing to lend you for the wedding. Tents, candlesticks, vases, arches, etc can really add up, and if you ask around, I bet you will find people who already have these.

Good luck. It is a challenge, but you are allow to have a beautiful wedding to the man you love. It isn't all about saving money, it is about spending it wisely so you don't start off marriage horribly burdened. It is a celebration of your unique love, so make it uniquely yours and try not to stress too much about the cost.

As someone else pointed out, any wedding under $10,000 is frugal at this point. I agree. So if it turns out that yours is $9,000, then make the sacrifices you need to get there like a second job or selling some assets.

The important thing is marrying the person you love.
JBeauty

Author: Aranknitter Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 195557 of 308360
Subject: Re: with debt, want a wedding! Date: 1/14/2005 2:01 PM
There are a few key decisions that make a big difference in the cost.

In your case, I'd say so - in the cost of the MARRIAGE as well as the WEDDING, too. Number one key decision being, the man that you marry.

Author: Minxie Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 195562 of 308360
Subject: Re: with debt, want a wedding! Date: 1/14/2005 2:38 PM
Wow, since when do wedding vows have a 10 year limit?

Seriously, vow renewal services irritate the crap out of me...the whole premise doesn't make sense, since weddign vows are FOR LIFE.

They might not work for everyone. The OP seemed to want a nice wedding and this is one way in which some couples compromise.

No one said wedding vows have a time limit; vow renewal ceremonies are merely a celebration of the original vows and an affirmation that you would do it all over again.

Minxie

Author: Aranknitter Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 195684 of 308360
Subject: Re: with debt, want a wedding! Date: 1/15/2005 8:20 PM
vow renewal ceremonies are merely a celebration of the original vows and an affirmation that you would do it all over again.

They probably should be called something else. "Vow affirmation ceremonies" or something. Personally, when I hear "vow renewal" it makes me think of a rental/lease contract renewal. Or that maybe the vows didn't "take" the first time around. :)

Author: llamalluv Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 195853 of 308360
Subject: Re: with debt, want a wedding! Date: 1/18/2005 5:04 PM
Can you save $500/month between now and then? 'Cause that's all it will cost you if you pay cash.

Author: SeattlePioneer Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 195872 of 308360
Subject: Re: with debt, want a wedding! Date: 1/19/2005 11:51 AM
Recommendations: 5
<<whoa! i leave for two hours look what ensues! :)

i really appreciate the frank and honest replies. i had been thinking about a lot of what you talked about.... specificially about the fact that i don't *need* a $9,000 wedding. it's just the wedding i have been thinking about ever since i was a little girl. :( i do believe those who say that it's not about the frills of a ceremony, it's about the person you are marrying. it's just hard, because i'd really like to get married in hawaii, beach, etc. a luxury, i know.

ok, to respond to what some of you have said:

motivies for relationship are good. we've been together for 5 years and he's really the one that took a leap of faith on that purchase. at the time we bought, he was in grad school, so it made more sense for us to use my credit (since i was working and he had no income) so although he and his parents contributed to the downpayment, his name is not on the morgage/title. he has been really supportive in our (my) mission to get us out of debt.

whew, i think that's it. thanks again for your two cents.
>>

After reading your initial post and the one above, I think you have put your finger on the cause of your financial problems:

<<why am i in debt: i made bad decisions right after i got out of college. put too much on my cc for start-up costs instead of trying to work with what i had.>>

Your plans for your wedding are MORE OF THE SAME SYNDROME!

<<specificially about the fact that i don't *need* a $9,000 wedding. it's just the wedding i have been thinking about ever since i was a little girl. :( i do believe those who say that it's not about the frills of a ceremony, it's about the person you are marrying. it's just hard, because i'd really like to get married in hawaii, beach, etc. a luxury, i know.
>>

Mmmmmm. Lots of people can afford some luxuries now and then. But most people have to choose carefully what luxuries they purchase, or they will create problems for themselves in the future. You have already done that by spending too freely in the past, which compromises your ability to have the kind of wedding you would like.

But that is a decision you have already made. The spending of the past has already limited your freedom and options. The only real question is whether you are going to continue your pattern of unwise spending, which will foreclose yet more options for you in the future.

Frankly, you still sound immature and prone to emotional and unwise spending.

Seattle Pioneer

Author: jezebel14 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 195876 of 308360
Subject: Re: with debt, want a wedding! Date: 1/19/2005 12:05 PM
Also, asside from that wedding board (which I've never heard of) if you search on the Living Below Your Means board low cost weddings is a frequent topic full of great suggestions.

Jez

Author: joycets Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 196223 of 308360
Subject: Re: with debt, want a wedding! Date: 1/26/2005 11:48 PM
I got married in the Chapel at a local hospital. My mother worked there for many years, and I can also tell people I was married in the same place I was born. (there was no medical reason for this wedding location. The priest was a friend from the Jesuit college I went to).

Joycets (married 27 yrs).

Author: SeattlePioneer Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 217627 of 308360
Subject: Re: with debt, want a wedding! Date: 1/6/2006 3:01 PM
<<why am i in debt: i made bad decisions right after i got out of college. put too much on my cc for start-up costs instead of trying to work with what i had. i'd say my weakness is that i occasionally make impulse purchases (ha! irony of wedding!), though i have curbed that in the last year.

>>

Heh, heh! In light of Meili99's decision to revise the plans for her wedding and do it for a much lower cost, this comment struck me as relevent to re-post.

Seattle Pioneer

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (46) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement