Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (16) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: kholvoe Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 18154  
Subject: Re: From Time Mag. Date: 8/30/2000 9:19 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
With regards to safety, I think we can categorically (sp?) state that EVERY consumer vehicle is unsafe compared to a standard: professional race cars (Indy, F-1, Nascar, etc.)

Take NASCAR cars. They can wreck at 200Mph+, and the driver overwhelmingly gets up and walks away. In fact, IIRC, as many fans have died at NASCAR events over the last 5 years as drivers. And don't give me the "They are professional driver" bit, hitting a wall, or another car, at 200 Mph, and not getting hurt, has very little to do with the driver skills.

It has a lot do do with the *safety* harness, the helmet, and frame design of the vehicles. Why don't consumer cars have these? For the harnesses, we can't reliably get people to wear the much simpler seat belt. For helmets, everyone would have hat hair (God Forbid!) And as for the frame, well at $1.5Million+ per car, it *TOO EXPENSIVE TO BE USED*. We routinely put a limit on the $$$ we'll spend on our own safety. I think it is disingenuous, at best, for everyone to be up in arms.

I am not defending Ford, I think they screwed up. But the media / public reaction is just pissing me off. Think Ford is unsafe? Buy something else. Think Firestone is unsafe? Buy something else. The only people who might possibly have been wronged are people who *currently* own firestone and/or certain Fords.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (16) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Looking at Currency Ratios
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement