Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
With respect, "low risk income" is an oxymoron.

Let me suggest things most retires should be concerned about:

Loss of money -- as is buy high and sell low
Loss of purchasing power -- as in earning a x% returns (which usually are taxable) when inflation is x+y %

My approach to avoiding the second concern is invest a large (for us that is 65%) of our portfolio in equities - things like an S&P index fund.

My approach to avoid the first concern is more nuanced. A portion of our fixed income is in a money market. Those funds generally are in the amount equal to 12 to 18 months of spending. We also have another hunk of our fixed fund in short term bonds. A third hunk of fixed in corporate bonds.

The last paycheck we had was May 1, 2008. The above approach meant we did not have to sell any equities in 2008 or 2009. That meant the "risk" from the great recession had past as measured by the S&P. I plead guilty to accepting the idea a financial panic/meltdown like 2008/2009 is unlikely to happen very often.

From Investopia:
Risk involves the chance an investment's actual return will differ from the expected return. Risk includes the possibility of losing some or all of the original investment. Different versions of risk are usually measured by calculating the standard deviation of the historical returns or average returns of a specific investment.
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement