UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (18) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: JohnEBgood Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 1961540  
Subject: With Seconds on the Clock Date: 12/31/2012 10:44 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 4
Absent a last-minute deal, Mr. Reid is expected to move on Monday to bring to a vote a stopgap measure pushed by Mr. Obama, which would retain lower tax rates for incomes below $250,000 and extend unemployment benefits. But it was not clear that would even get a vote. The objection of a single senator on Monday would run out the clock on the 112th Congress before a final tally could be taken.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/01/01/us/politics/2-sides-in-tal...

This would be cute if it was just some football game.

But it isn't. The US will be taking a big hit at midnight if these guys don't settle.

Jack
Print the post Back To Top
Author: lowstudent Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1849868 of 1961540
Subject: Re: With Seconds on the Clock Date: 12/31/2012 10:50 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
This would be cute if it was just some football game.

But it isn't. The US will be taking a big hit at midnight if these guys don't settle.

Jack _______________

I agree, I can't believe the President is demanding the absurd condition that his position is unmovable under any circumstances.

Regardless of the fact it makes little difference even if it results in the revenue it claims it will, though we all know it will not.

The President will not move an inch, unless he can make a move that will keep class warfare as part of the equation

Sure, you can claim others are playing games, but give the President his due, he is the biggest jerk we have in Washington.

Author: telegraph Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1849870 of 1961540
Subject: Re: With Seconds on the Clock Date: 12/31/2012 10:54 AM
"Absent a last-minute deal, Mr. Reid is expected to move on Monday to bring to a vote a stopgap measure pushed by Mr. Obama, which would retain lower tax rates for incomes below $250,000 and extend unemployment benefits. "

Heh heh

Obama wants to tax the rich...and not cut a penny from the trillion dollar a year deficit....

Heads he wins...tails we lose.

Sorry...that isn't a 'deal' or a 'stop gap' measure. It would be 'total surrender'.

Better to go off the cliff and get 800 billion in actual spending CUTS.....

t.

Author: cjb44 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1849871 of 1961540
Subject: Re: With Seconds on the Clock Date: 12/31/2012 10:58 AM
The US will be taking a big hit at midnight if these guys don't settle.

Don't confuse a deal with a solution. If we don't get spending cuts, it's not a solution. Placing the growing burden of government on a smaller group of people doesn't solve the problem.

The expected revenue won't be there. Just ask France or Greece.

Politicians will have to finally come to terms with the fact that you can't promise the world to voters, because there isn't enough money to do so.

Author: lowstudent Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1849877 of 1961540
Subject: Re: With Seconds on the Clock Date: 12/31/2012 11:03 AM
The US will be taking a big hit at midnight if these guys don't settle.

Whatever hit we take will be merely integrated when the solution is eventually implemented. So it is just a little quicker, rather than the steadier decline we will have. N0 biggie unless you wanted your cash soon, it'll be about the same by a few weeks after the settlement with this or without. This will be true whether the settlement is in days, weeks or months. But it'll be based on the settlement and how bad it is or how good, so ....

Author: JohnEBgood Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1849879 of 1961540
Subject: Re: With Seconds on the Clock Date: 12/31/2012 11:07 AM
Recommendations: 1
Obama wants to tax the rich...and not cut a penny from the trillion dollar a year deficit....

That is simply UNTRUE. What planet are you guys living on?

I've watched and listened to both sides. The President has clearly negotiated.....take the simple example of changing the limit for the tax increase from 250K to 400K.

At this stage of the game, we need a "stop gap" measure. There is NO WAY that the complexities of cuts in things like Medicare can be negotiated in a few hours.

I'll agree that the President is "playing hardball." Which he had better do, because he is up against a nasty gang of people in Congress who have clearly shown that they are "Party First."

Jack

Author: lowstudent Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1849882 of 1961540
Subject: Re: With Seconds on the Clock Date: 12/31/2012 11:12 AM
I've watched and listened to both sides. The President has clearly negotiated.....take the simple example of changing the limit for the tax increase from 250K to 400K.

Considering his rhetoric was always a million doesn't seem like the biggest compromise I have ever seen. In fact it looks like BS fed to fools.

Author: goofnoff Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1849884 of 1961540
Subject: Re: With Seconds on the Clock Date: 12/31/2012 11:21 AM
Recommendations: 32
I agree, I can't believe the President is demanding the absurd condition that his position is unmovable under any circumstances

Your crticism confirms that the President is exactly right on his position.

Author: cjb44 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1849885 of 1961540
Subject: Re: With Seconds on the Clock Date: 12/31/2012 11:21 AM
At this stage of the game, we need a "stop gap" measure. There is NO WAY that the complexities of cuts in things like Medicare can be negotiated in a few hours.

But it's not a few hours, it's been over a year. The reason we are at this point is because of several stop gaps. They could pass Simpson/Bowles, the Ryan Plan, the Obama Plan, Plan B, the Senate verison, the House verison or tweak any of them in about 30 seconds.

This isn't new or a surprise. A stop gap is just kicking the can down the road again.

It's not as complex as you think, and these guys have been dealing with this for a long time. It's just a question of will Obama agree to any cuts because clearly if he does the votes are there for tax increases.

Author: goofnoff Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1849888 of 1961540
Subject: Re: With Seconds on the Clock Date: 12/31/2012 11:26 AM
Recommendations: 2
Due to gerrymandering the Republicans have enough votes in the Senate to filibuster anything they want. The Republicans can ignore legislation in the House. Thius state of affairs exist even though a majority of Republicans do not want Medicare and SS touched by a 2:1 majority.

The state we are in is strictly the result of uninformed voters. Voters need to put on their big boy pants and take responsibility for the mess they have made.

Author: JohnEBgood Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1849896 of 1961540
Subject: Re: With Seconds on the Clock Date: 12/31/2012 11:47 AM
But it's not a few hours, it's been over a year. The reason we are at this point is because of several stop gaps. They could pass Simpson/Bowles, the Ryan Plan, the Obama Plan, Plan B, the Senate verison, the House verison or tweak any of them in about 30 seconds.

This isn't new or a surprise. A stop gap is just kicking the can down the road again.

It's not as complex as you think, and these guys have been dealing with this for a long time. It's just a question of will Obama agree to any cuts because clearly if he does the votes are there for tax increases.

It has not been a good year for making deals. The presidential election campaign produced a real circus of Republican freaks. (I don't even have to NAME them)

This gave Congress the excuse to do nothing about the economy. And the President, I must admit, had to focus on getting re-elected.

Anyway, "it is what it is." (I hate that saying, but it really fits here) Time for action.

"Kicking the can down the road" makes sense to me right now. Remove the most painful parts of "the cliff" e.g. payroll tax increases. Let the Bush cuts expire on those making more than, say, 500K/yr. Then work on the other things in the coming months.

I believe that Boehner is refusing to budge because he doesn't want to lose his position to some Teabagger.

I also think (hope) that we'll hear about a deal within the next few hours.

It's a MESS alright. But messes can be fixed.

Jack

Author: cjb44 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1849899 of 1961540
Subject: Re: With Seconds on the Clock Date: 12/31/2012 12:00 PM
It has not been a good year for making deals.

_________

It hasn't been a good four years for deal making because nobody trusts the other side. Why would anyone agree to a stop-gap that only raises taxes on the sucessful based on a promise to deal with spending later? Nobody believes that the idiot in the White House will ever cut a dime.

The entire GOP knows Obama wants the cliff because he thinks it will raise enough revenue to cover his new spending and the GOP gets the blame. Obama doesn't want a deal, he wants a crisis to create more government programs.

Author: jerryab Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1849900 of 1961540
Subject: Re: With Seconds on the Clock Date: 12/31/2012 12:02 PM
It's not as complex as you think, and these guys have been dealing with this for a long time.

True. It has been conservatives creating the problems all along.

It's just a question of will Obama agree to any cuts because clearly if he does the votes are there for tax increases.

Wrong. It is whether conservatives will finally accept the fact they lost the election based on their failed policies.

Conservatives "kicked the can down the road" specifically to enable themselves to try to win the 2012 election and thus be able to do as they chose. They failed in the 2012 election and now are faced with the "fiscal cliff" they created and now can not avoid.

Author: cjb44 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1849904 of 1961540
Subject: Re: With Seconds on the Clock Date: 12/31/2012 12:09 PM
Wrong. It is whether conservatives will finally accept the fact they lost the election based on their failed policies

_________

Wrong,

Romney lost. Every Republican in the House won their election and the vast majority from districts that Obama failed to carry. Not a single Repbulican won because they said they would rubber-stamp the Obama failed policies of the past four years.

Once Obama realizes that the House isn't his lapdog, then a deal (if he actually wants one) can be done. The American people saw 2009 and 2010 and didn't want to give Obama another blank check.

Offering more taxes and more spending isn't a deal.

Author: goofnoff Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1849907 of 1961540
Subject: Re: With Seconds on the Clock Date: 12/31/2012 12:11 PM
Why would anyone agree to a stop-gap that only raises taxes on the sucessful based on a promise to deal with spending later

LMAO..

Do you write for the comedey channel?

Author: HMALETTER Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1849910 of 1961540
Subject: Re: With Seconds on the Clock Date: 12/31/2012 12:14 PM
People will be gradually educated when they see the actual revenue increases generated at the $450 k mark.

This was as close as I've ever seen Democrats to giving in on COLA calculations, and changing the retirement age. But not enough time was left on the clock as they bickered about everything.

We'd all be in a much better situation had Jon Huntsman been elected IMO.

When John Boehner looks like a moderate, it's time to look at the children next to him. When it takes a Biden to negotiate, it's time to look for a new boss.

Hopefully, changes put forth by adults will be discussed in the first half of the new year.

Author: lowstudent Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1849914 of 1961540
Subject: Re: With Seconds on the Clock Date: 12/31/2012 12:21 PM
Wrong. It is whether conservatives will finally accept the fact they lost the election based on their failed policies

_________

Because the two years when no one could touch a Dem initiative, were the two most popular political years we have ever seen, and so much good has come from that time, Republicans should know that Dem ideas are indeed supreme.

Author: jerryab Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1849972 of 1961540
Subject: Re: With Seconds on the Clock Date: 12/31/2012 2:42 PM
Republicans should know that Dem ideas are indeed supreme.

The 2012 election proved it.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (18) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement