UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: TMFBreakerWade Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 89  
Subject: With the Goal in mind - Date: 7/9/2008 11:09 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2
Hello Fools!

In an effort to keep true to my goal of outperforming the market by at least 3%, I have bought my first few positions in the Stock Trak simulation.

Imo, the only way to keep up (or down) with the market is to mirror it's results until such time as the portfolio begins to round out.

So -

I bought equal positions with 75% of the available funds. This leaves a 25% cash position which will allow me to be liquid enough to deploy money to good ideas. Obviously, when I need more funds, I will sell some diamonds/spiders etc.

What and Why,

DIA - In an attempt to track the greater market and circumvent the 250K per holding restriction.

SPY - Making sure that I match my benchmark from this point on.

EFA - For the purpose of matching the eventual international exposure of this portfolio (which will be anywhere from 25% and up). Specifically, I chose an ETF that will mirror the MSCI EAFE index.

Caveat -
Before fees and expenses, EFA will generally match the returns of publicly traded securities in the European, Australasian and Far Eastern markets.

The race has begun, and the BreakerWade Fund has drawn first blood. =)

Foolishly on Foot,

Wade
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Mylan Transitioning from Generics
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement