Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: alstroemeria Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 2369  
Subject: Re: Desert views Date: 10/22/2013 6:45 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2
With weak wifi for a few days I missed your post, sorry. I will pass your info along to DH, but he already fixed the oven. Something about pushing 2 tubes closer together? With his aphasia, communications can be difficult.

AS for the govt shutdown raining on our parade, YES! We had planned to stay in Northern New Mexico and visit various Anasazi sites (petroglyohs, pueblos) that are almost all federal, but instead headed early to Southern New Mexico. On the way south we had planned to visit the National Very Large Array (of radio telescopes), but it was still closed when we passed nearby. We're very much looking forward to seeing the Bosque del Apache Natl Wildlife Refuge when we return to the area in November--we might catch the Very Large Array at that time, too.

We're having a more laid-back trip than planned--most excitement has been the Geronimo Springs Museum, Montezuma Quail roosting in our campsite, and pleasant drives and walks in the desert and along the Rio Grande (more like the Rio Petite here!). We saw Sandhill Cranes and Great Blue Herons in the muddy Rio Grande (it tends to be low this time of year because they take water out for irrigation in the summer and the monsoons are long over--we have seen a couple of hours of rain since we've been out west, and that was in Albuquerque). There was nobody else on any of the trails we followed and saw just a coupleothe cars coming he other way on our drive a couple days ago up to the northern ened of Elephant Butte Lake State Park (the biggest SP, and biggest lake, in NM).

A couple of days ago a solo woman RVer from Alaska whom we were camped next to at the ABQ Balloon Fiesta arrived in our current campground. We enjoyed hearing about her adventures since ABQ (snow in Taos, nearly getting stuck in the sand while boondocked on BLM land-), over a shared dinner. She brought chicken enchiladas (the best I ever tasted!) and apple cake (ditto!). I fixed refried beans, cilantro-jalapeno cole slaw, salsa fresca, guacamole, margaritas (first time I used the pitcher this trip!), and coconut ice cream for the cake. I was unable to score Cointreau in this small town, but Triple Sec'll do in a pinch, and we were able to get decent tequila and had fresh limes from our last Walmart visit, so all is well, adult-beverage-wise ;-)

There are more interesting folks here, and Kristin & I will try to pull together a pot luck thing for tomorrow. The woman camped next to us is an 80-yr-old German immigrant who lived in France after WWII and moved to the US around 1960 (she was offended when DeGaulle kicked out the Americans), starting in Amarillo TX, where she taught German to children via song, and later worked at White Sands Missile Range in Alamagordo, a place we're planning to visit in early December. She gave us advice on where to camp and which ranger knows his stuff about the area. We also got a good RV maintenance tip from her. She opened her engine compartment and removed the sandy dust from her drive here. We have never done this, so DH did the same. DH shared the name and process for waxing the RV as she admired its shininess.

RVers are typically pleasant, interesting, and informative people. Or maybe I just remember the interesting ones ;-) And I have another Tony Hillerman novel to read on my iPad, more Jane Austen fan fic (guilty pleasure-), and a rec from a fellow camper about an English translation of the Wallander novels about a Swedish police detective (we saw a few episodes starring Kenneth Branaugh on PBS Mystery a year or two ago). It isn't only about the sight-seeing.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

2013 Feste Award Voting Begins!
Who will win the 2013 Feste Award? Vote now for the Fool that most exemplifies the Fool Community mission of Learning Together!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Tax Strategies

TMFPMarti-Feeling Good
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement