UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: Pfreak One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 75797  
Subject: With whom should I set up my Roth? Date: 11/29/2000 3:40 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I think that was proper grammar...

Anyway, I am about to set up my wife's and my first Roth IRAs. I have pretty much decided on VFINX. What I am having trouble deciding is whether to set up the Roth through Vangaurd or through E*Trade (I already have a brokerage account with E*Trade).

The benefit to using Vanguard as I see it is the ability to invest small amounts on a regular basis into the fund. However, they charge an annual fee if the account is under $10,000. E*Trade's is free.

What I would like to know is if anyone knows if I can invest incrementally into VFINX using E*Trade's Roth without commission.

Any help would be appreciated.

Pfreak
Print the post Back To Top
Author: Ringfinger Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 26359 of 75797
Subject: Re: With whom should I set up my Roth? Date: 11/29/2000 3:42 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
I don't think so. You are saddled with the commission as far as I know. It would be cheaper to directly invest with the fund company.

Author: Pfreak One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 26364 of 75797
Subject: Re: With whom should I set up my Roth? Date: 11/29/2000 5:21 PM
As I was putting my question in text, I started to think the same thing. Why would E*Trade offer a free account and then let you bypass their commission?

Thanks for clearing me up, Ringfinger. Perhaps since I am going with VFINX, I should change my username to INDEXfinger ;)

Pfreak out.

Author: asarver Two stars, 250 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 26387 of 75797
Subject: Re: With whom should I set up my Roth? Date: 11/30/2000 11:25 AM
Hello there, my husband and I have our Roths at Vanguard and are very pleased. Unless they've changed it recently there is only a custodial fee ($10/year) if your IRA account is less than $5000. There are no commissions on buying or selling the funds. I would go directly to the source.

Author: Pfreak One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 26403 of 75797
Subject: Re: With whom should I set up my Roth? Date: 12/1/2000 2:02 PM
asarver,

Thanks for the info. I believe, if I read it correctly, the account needs to be above $10,000 to get rid of the custodial fee.

Either way, that's not to bad. I have decided to go with Vanguard (as long as I can get the full-service broker/wife's friend off our back).

Thanks again,
Pfreak

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement