UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: fredbobo Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 76237  
Subject: Withdrawing 401(K)to purchase a house Date: 12/11/2000 10:39 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I'm looking for help on the subject above. I was told that if I'm a first-time buyer, I can use the money on my retirement account as a down payment without paying taxes or penalties. Is this true?
Thanks!
Print the post Back To Top
Author: TMFExRO Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 26554 of 76237
Subject: Re: Withdrawing 401(K)to purchase a house Date: 12/11/2000 11:49 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
I'm looking for help on the subject above. I was told that if I'm a first-time buyer, I can use the money on my retirement account as a down payment without paying taxes or penalties. Is this true?

No. All withdrawals of pre-tax money from a 401(k) are taxed as ordinary income, and there's no homebuyer exception for money taken from a 401(k), so you'd also owe the 10% premature distribution penalty.

You may be able to get a loan against your 401(k) for this purpose, but that's a totally different concept. It can also be very dangerous, so tread carefully. Your starting point is your plan administrator.

TMF ExRO
Phil Marti

Author: Ringfinger Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 26560 of 76237
Subject: Re: Withdrawing 401(K)to purchase a house Date: 12/12/2000 10:15 AM
Recommendations: 2
I would not borrow from my 401k if possible. The amount of returns you lose due to the money being out of the market is a strong deterrent imho.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement