Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
I would like to minimize the taxes I have withheld to include only money I am required to withhold. In my case that amount is the taxes I owed last year.

I have 2 sources of income, only one of which allows withholding. I would like to increase my withholding from the one source so that I do not have to pay estimated taxes on the other.

In the past, I have simply claimed 9 exemptions (to get my calculated withholding down to zero), but then checked the box stating that I wanted an additional $X withheld each month. This way I can control exactly how much gets withheld. In the end, my monthly withholding is where it needs to be.

But then I came across this from the instructions for the w-4:

Employees may adjust their withholding to bring the tax paid closer to the tax owed, but they may not claim more allowances than they are entitled to, based on their expected exemptions, deductions and credits.

So is what I have been doing not allowed? I am only entitled to ONE exemption, but I claim 9. On the other hand, I am not doing this to avoid withholding, since in the end I have almost TRIPLE withheld from my check than I would if I simply followed the instructions.

Should I worry about this? I've been doing it for years without issue. It's not like I'm doing this to avoid withholding, so I think I am ok with the spirit of the law if not the letter...
Print the post  

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement