Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 2
Without specifying your state, it's hard to answer. But in any case, if it were me, I'd ask my CPA. And if I didn't have one, I'd get one. A good CPA is an asset to any investor or businessperson. Make sure you don't engage one who thinks his or her job is to collect tax. A good CPA, by my lights, is approachable and willing to answer your questions--and understands that his or her primary work and goal is to helpfully guide you to ways that you can legally avoid tax.
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.