UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (9) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: tpault Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 128074  
Subject: Re: wet carpet Date: 10/10/2012 6:17 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
Wolferd,

What is under the carpet? Padding, and then what... a wood floor, concrete, or what? Sublooring should withstand several soakings before swelling, or rotting.

Is it in a basement? If it's in a basement, it will take longer to dry, thereby increasing chances of rot and mold.

Like PSU suggested, if you are to salvage the carpet, a Rug Doctor type machine is a must, unless you are overstating the "flood." You can even use a deoderant additive when the carpeting is as dry as possible, by going over it quickly with a normal cleaning cycle.

In addition to that, you should be willing to get multiple fans blowing on it. And in addition to that, you need to be able and willing to open all your windows. You should allow the fans to run across the carpet and out a well ventillated house, for at least 24 hours. If it's chilly outside, don't worry... it will only help if you can run your furnace while the windows are open and the fans are running.

You may be able to avoid mold, odors and further damage to the subfloor if you follow this advice. But be aware that the carpet may dry to a shrunken or stretched state and you may notice a ripple or two.

What caused the washer to run over if I may ask? Were you home at the time? It's never a good idea to start a load and then run out to the store.

Here's a product that I think every house would do well to have.
http://www.homedepot.com/buy/plumbing/pumps/basement-watchdo...

Don't let the wires and tab fool you. The tab is actually the bottom of the alarm and snaps on, with the wires tucked inside. The wires are only as a convenience in case you want to put the sensor, somewhere other than where you put the box (like the sensor can go in a sump pit so that if it nears the top it alarms you before overflowing.

I have one next to my washer, and also in my water heater pan. They sound off very loud at the first sign of water. A plumber friend told me he was at home and he had a water leak for about 4 hours and didn't know it until he just happened to go in the basement. Happens very easily and faster than we know it.

If it's just the hallway, maybe it's just 4 foot wide and 10 foot long? Heck, you can buy remnants or even throw rugs to replace the ripped up carpeting.

Paul T., fixing his own mistakes since age 4.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (9) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Disclaimer - Please Read
A message about professional advice.
Useful Resources
Our Home Center has all you need to make buying and owning a home a great experience. Get or refinance a mortgage and much more!
Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Medallion Financial: TAXI!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement