Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (18) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: DrBob2 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 54061  
Subject: Wolverines & global warming Date: 2/3/2013 9:13 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 5
Two stories from Friday:

Feds: Warming imperils wolverines
http://news.yahoo.com/apnewsbreak-feds-warming-imperils-wolv...
The tenacious wolverine, a snow-loving carnivore sometimes called the "mountain devil," could soon join the list of species threatened by climate change — a dubious distinction putting it in the ranks of the polar bear and several other animals the government says will lose crucial habitat as temperatures rise. Federal wildlife officials Friday proposed Endangered Species Act protections for the wolverine in the Lower 48 states. That's a step twice denied under the Bush administration, then delayed in 2010 when the Obama administration said other imperiled species had priority.

and

Once extinct here, wolverines on the rebound
http://seattletimes.com/html/localnews/2020260612_wolveriner...
The wolverine’s return to Washington is amazing scientists. “We are witnessing what we think is the expansion of wolverine into their former range,” said Keith Aubry, research wildlife biologist with the U.S. Forest Service, Pacific Northwest Research Station in Olympia. Aubry for eight winters had led the first-ever radio-tracking study of wolverines in Washington. Genetic testing shows the animals they are finding can be traced to populations in Canada that recolonized here once the persecution stopped. Now, those animals, once just visitors, have established resident populations — and they are spreading. “We have growing evidence of them using larger and larger areas over time,” Aubry said.

DB2
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post Back To Top
Author: telegraph Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 40622 of 54061
Subject: Re: Wolverines & global warming Date: 2/4/2013 10:33 AM
Just like the polar bears.

the feds trot out cuddly little bears and wolverines...to show how they are disappearing ...

while the facts show they are increasing in population just about everywhere.

Duh!

Liberalism - a mental disease

t

Author: LorenCobb Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Favorite Fools Top Recommended Fools Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 40631 of 54061
Subject: Re: Wolverines & global warming Date: 2/4/2013 8:07 PM
Recommendations: 105
tele: Liberalism - a mental disease.

I suppose it is a lot of fun telling half your audience that they have a mental disease, but it does very little good for your reputation.

Mathematics -- my profession -- is well-known for the high prevalence of mental disease within its ranks, all the way up to the most brilliant practitioners. This brings us no pleasure, and for many of us there is only lifelong pain and vast periods of time in which even the simplest and most routine affairs of life are enormously difficult.

It's hard to see the label of mental illness used as a club to shame or humiliate others. I thought only high-school bullies did things like that.

I look at my friends and companions in mathematics, and I see people who produce amazing results despite episodes of psychosis, depression, mania, and crippling dysphoria. Our families are our refuge and rescue, without whom we could not continue. We lead fragile lives.

Despite steady progress in psychiatry over the decades, many people with mental illness are utterly unaware of their affliction. We, as mathematicians, are all too painfully aware that we are affected. Are you so safe in your assumption of personal sanity that you feel justified in diagnosing wholesale mental illness among the entire class of your political opponents? Not to put too fine a point on it, if you were fully sane and sober would you ever say such things?

Loren

Author: wadigo Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 40632 of 54061
Subject: Re: Wolverines & global warming Date: 2/4/2013 8:38 PM
Maybe if 'they' weren't obsessed with controlling and picking the pockets of others using fraud based fantasies....
Having a mental variance doesn't equate to integrity.
Throwing around sympathy trips is typical for a user.

Author: bjchip Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 40633 of 54061
Subject: Re: Wolverines & global warming Date: 2/4/2013 9:56 PM
Recommendations: 26
Again you prove to be utterly ignorable.

... and of course the failure of the OP to notice that there are conflicting forces at work.

Removing the hunting/trapping/human-predators from the Wolverine population may well be a larger local effect than the changes in the environment.

Failing to notice that there were in fact two conditions influencing the population is a sad reflection on someone's ability to parse reality.

Failing to notice that failure on your part, and indulging in rhetoric that exposes your own lack of respect for others? That's simply where the ignore button comes in. Everyone knows you for what you are now.

You are SO busted.

Author: lindytoes Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 40635 of 54061
Subject: Re: Wolverines & global warming Date: 2/4/2013 10:27 PM
Recommendations: 20
Are you so safe in your assumption of personal sanity that you feel justified in diagnosing wholesale mental illness among the entire class of your political opponents? Not to put too fine a point on it, if you were fully sane and sober would you ever say such things?

Loren

Thanks for your post. I especially like "We lead fragile lives." Doesn't that really describe a lot of people who might be influenced by bad environment (or poor choices) and not technically have mental health issues?

'We lead fragile lives' is a wonderful reminder for all of us to be kinder and gentler to each other.

Author: Art53 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 40636 of 54061
Subject: Re: Wolverines & global warming Date: 2/4/2013 11:59 PM
Recommendations: 8
"Are you so safe in your assumption of personal sanity that you feel justified in diagnosing wholesale mental illness among the entire class of your political opponents? Not to put too fine a point on it, if you were fully sane and sober would you ever say such things?" - Loren
-------------------

I've known Tele for a long time and I'm fairly certain he has Asperger's syndrome. He displays many of the signs for it. Asperger's syndrome is common among engineers. One of the signs of Asperger's is saying inappropriate things at inappropriate times which I myself suffer from.

Tele appears to lack empathy. His two most favorite things in the world are ham radios and accordions. He doesn't pick up on sarcasm or humor easily. He never gets bored talking about his favorite subjects and can go on and on with them.

And in all fairness I think I also have a touch of Asperger's. I have taken several online tests and I usually score in the mild Asperger's range.
-------------------

Asperger's syndrome - symptoms

"Not pick up on social cues and may lack inborn social skills, such as being able to read others' body language, start or maintain a conversation, and take turns talking.

Dislike any changes in routines.

Appear to lack empathy.

Be unable to recognize subtle differences in speech tone, pitch, and accent that alter the meaning of others? speech. So your child may not understand a joke or may take a sarcastic comment literally. And his or her speech may be flat and hard to understand because it lacks tone, pitch, and accent.

Have a formal style of speaking that is advanced for his or her age. For example, the child may use the word "beckon" instead of "call" or the word "return" instead of "come back."

Avoid eye contact or stare at others.

Have unusual facial expressions or postures.

Be preoccupied with only one or few interests, which he or she may be very knowledgeable about. Many children with Asperger's syndrome are overly interested in parts of a whole or in unusual activities, such as designing houses, drawing highly detailed scenes, or studying astronomy. They may show an unusual interest in certain topics such as snakes, names of stars, or dinosaurs.

Talk a lot, usually about a favorite subject. One-sided conversations are common. Internal thoughts are often verbalized.

Have heightened sensitivity and become overstimulated by loud noises, lights, or strong tastes or textures. For more information about these symptoms, see sensory processing disorder."

http://www.webmd.com/brain/autism/tc/aspergers-syndrome-symp...

Author: jck101 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 40637 of 54061
Subject: Re: Wolverines & global warming Date: 2/5/2013 12:18 AM
Recommendations: 3
'We lead fragile lives' is a wonderful reminder for all of us to be kinder and gentler to each other.

Sure!

BTW, whenever someone on the board uses the term denier it is a misrepresentation of the position of the people they are talking about. Just like saying a liberal is a mental disorder is a misrepresentation. So there is room for improvement for everyone.

Author: tracyll Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 40644 of 54061
Subject: Re: Wolverines & global warming Date: 2/5/2013 12:45 PM
Recommendations: 0
What a thoughtful, heart felt note to write. You've reminded me to always do my best to be compassionate and respectful to others that may have a different opinion on any subject. Thank you for all of your posts!

Author: TMFSpeck Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 40657 of 54061
Subject: Re: Wolverines & global warming Date: 2/5/2013 3:06 PM
the feds trot out cuddly little bears and wolverines...to show how they are disappearing ...

while the facts show they are increasing in population just about everywhere.

I read something entirely different than you. Both articles state that there are an estimated 250-300 wolverines in the lower 48. Both articles state that climate change threatens their future existence. One article discusses how wolverines are returning to former range in Washington state.

I see nowhere in either article that there's and increasing population of wolverines, just an expansion to former range by Canadian wolverines.

Speck

Author: JoshRandall Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 40660 of 54061
Subject: Re: Wolverines & global warming Date: 2/5/2013 4:46 PM
Recommendations: 1
Strange indeed that liberalism, a mental disorder, effects a whole class of people, but it's true. Hope 0'care doesn't think there are too many in that class. What to do? Death panels? Perhaps just old liberals for now.

Author: flightdoc101 Two stars, 250 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 40665 of 54061
Subject: Re: Wolverines & global warming Date: 2/5/2013 5:56 PM
Recommendations: 3
affects...

Author: CCinOC Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 40669 of 54061
Subject: Re: Wolverines & global warming Date: 2/5/2013 8:10 PM
Recommendations: 1
I suppose it is a lot of fun telling half your audience that they have a mental disease, but it does very little good for your reputation. [...]
It's hard to see the label of mental illness used as a club to shame or humiliate others. I thought only high-school bullies did things like that.

tele meant to say liberalism is a mental DISORDER--which it is. Now...now...there's nothing inherently shameful about having a mental disorder. The first step on the road to recovery is admitting that you have a disorder and then taking action to heal. Lots of people suffer from disorders of one type or another yet live to acquire clear thinking.

Author: LordFoolman Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 40683 of 54061
Subject: Re: Wolverines & global warming Date: 2/5/2013 11:47 PM
Recommendations: 6
tele: Liberalism - a mental disease.

I suppose it is a lot of fun telling half your audience that they have a mental disease, but it does very little good for your reputation.

Mathematics -- my profession -- is well-known for the high prevalence of mental disease within its ranks, all the way up to the most brilliant practitioners. This brings us no pleasure, and for many of us there is only lifelong pain and vast periods of time in which even the simplest and most routine affairs of life are enormously difficult.

Talk about given an inch and taking a mile. My lord. Someone uses a cheap political phrase (which never happens on the Fool, of course)....and you, Loren, go on a personalized, elaborate rant of biblical proportions with such overwrought histrionics. And close to 100 recs!! Congrats!

So the new pet cause is "mental disorder" in mathematicians.

Loren, you overdo things. Have you thought maybe the very disorder you account for in your post is causing you to write this explosive exposition?

Author: bjchip Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 40684 of 54061
Subject: Re: Wolverines & global warming Date: 2/6/2013 12:37 AM
I am trying to figure out why you bothered.

I mean that seriously. However, you can join Telegraph in the p-box, as your contribution is just as inane - and useless - as his was.

The OP was wrong because several things that affect population were mixed and area was conflated with population. Then Tele failed to analyze what had happened and discussed mental disorders. So far the "conservative" side has two strikes. Loren hits one out of the park and you get your knickers in a twist and get insulting. There is a problem with conservatives these days. Didn't used to be so. I remember the days before Reagan and Limbaugh... but now? You lot can't compromise, don't use logic and don't need facts. Just your gut instincts.

Sorry mate. I don't need your gut instincts.

Author: wadigo Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 40685 of 54061
Subject: Re: Wolverines & global warming Date: 2/6/2013 2:22 AM
Recommendations: 2
Jeez bschip, recommending to your followers to p-box people you don't like? Is that all you got?

I learned in (from asking the A students) High School, the best way to a good grade is to be good with the Bul! Shot! Thats ALL YOU GOT?
pathetic... imo. no humble about it.

Author: bjchip Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 40686 of 54061
Subject: Re: Wolverines & global warming Date: 2/6/2013 5:39 AM
Recommendations: 7
I don't p-box people just for not liking them. I p-box them for utter uselessness.

Author: jgc123 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 40692 of 54061
Subject: Re: Wolverines & global warming Date: 2/6/2013 2:11 PM
Speck: "I read something entirely different than you. Both articles state that there are an estimated 250-300 wolverines in the lower 48. Both articles state that climate change threatens their future existence. One article discusses how wolverines are returning to former range in Washington state."

THAT is more interesting to me than tele's claim that liberalism is a mental disorder.

The fact is that tele is deliberately misstating the evidence, as he has done repeatedly for years, while simultaneously accusing "liberals" of having a mental disorder. It's a textbook case of accusing others of that which he denies in himself.

As for those who rec'ed his claim with full knowledge that it contained a clearly false factual predicate, I bet they are the same posters who regularly claim that 'liberalism is a mental illness'.

As for those of you who bother to respond to anything tele says, with full knowledge that he regularly makes up his facts, I am reminded of Charlie Brown trying to kick the football.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (18) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement