Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: vjane Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 19221  
Subject: women & retirement planning Date: 11/14/2000 6:51 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Regarding "Fools & Retirement" of 11/14/00, I am a severe case of the unprepared woman. I'm 49, single, no children. Spent 13 years being a musician (singer-songwriter) and am now a freelance writer as well. Neither vocation is known as a rewarding career in monetary terms. I have never had any savings at all, own no real estate, etc. My social security payments over the years have been pitiful, as most of the time I haven't even had any taxable income.

Just this month I am finally putting together a retirement strategy. I now work part-time for lawyers to pay rent. I can join my law firm's 401(k) plan and have about $5,000 in cash to invest independently as well. I may have some other money if my aging parents are able to keep from spending theirs on catastrophic health care expenses, but as it is their money I don't include it in my future scenarios. If I do inherit, I think my two (single, childless) sisters and I will just keep our shares together and invest as a unit to take advantage of the compounding effect.

I've been able to SEE the handwriting on the wall for years, but I have never had a stable enough or large enough income to convince myself that I could take out even a small amount monthly for savings. Unfortunately I will have to bear the consequences of that mistaken belief in later years. But I do not regret following my talents and inclinations to work as a creative and analytical person in fields that are not well supported by American culture. I do resent that women are so marginalized when it comes to financial planning. Thanks for the Motley assistance. It's encouraging and lucid. Wish me luck!!
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Medallion Financial: TAXI!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement