Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 18
After 35 years, i retired (early I might add at 57). What a relief!

I was really looking forward and eager to get my 401k roll over and pension lump sum (YESSS! I got one of those!), but now I am faced with a market timer's dilemma: buy now and face the consequences if the market tanks, or pretend to have and all seeing eye and stay cash fat for awhile.

I know we should never time the market, and foolish theory suggests continuous investment, looking for good value or growth stories out there and ignore the noise of the market is the best way to a happy ending. TMF has been good to me for sure. I have a giant list of new positions i can take from Premier Pass, and EP: but I am reluctant as much as eager. Right now I am dipping my toe into a few beaten down names and industries I am light in.

suffice to say, I take part in a lot of sophisticated trading: I do a lot of options trades per Options and Pro services, put spread hedging, futures, currency (Livemoney Investing Service). So I am not averse to volatility, but, seriously: jump in NOW?

Also, my after tax accounts are larger than my qualified accounts, but, my taxable accounts have about 60% of their value in unrealized gains (holy tax burden!) so the gains are immense and difficult to extricate oneself from. To wit, having the cash in my qualified accounts serves some market hedging purpose. I cant imagine a better outcome than having loads of cash in case of a market crash to console me for losses in my taxable accounts.

I still haven't taken my lump sum, as I am waiting to see this month's segment rates, but I think based on activity in the bond markets, this is a very likely event.

So i think I will only make small measured purchases and see how the market plays out, and not try to jump into the pool all at once like i imagined.

Smaug, the magnificent!
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement