UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: arrete Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 734709  
Subject: Work disincentives Date: 2/10/2013 9:54 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 21
>> Mr. Alexander reports that a single mother of two in the Keystone State earning no wages will obtain welfare benefits—such as food stamps, child care and Medicaid services—worth more than $45,000 annually. If the woman begins earning wages, her total annual income, including the value of her welfare benefits, will rise as well—up to about $9,000 in wages. But the next $5,000 in wages will not increase her total income, because she will lose some Medicaid and other benefits. In short, she faces the equivalent of a 100% marginal tax.
What this means is that her total income—welfare benefits plus wages, minus taxes—won't reach $57,000 until her gross wage income rises to $69,000. In other words, the money earned by her between $29,000 and $69,000 faces a marginal tax rate, on average, of 100%. She receives no net benefit from her labor. Now if that doesn't motivate you to get up and go to work, I don't know what will. <<

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000142412788732423510457824...

But as we know, taxes don't affect behavior, so it must be something else. Racism! Single women with 2 children are being disrepected, but only when they make between $29K and $69K. Yeah, that's theticket.

arrete
Print the post Back To Top
Author: 307wolverine Big funky green star, 20000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 671021 of 734709
Subject: Re: Work disincentives Date: 2/10/2013 10:29 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
But as we know, taxes don't affect behavior, so it must be something else. Racism! Single women with 2 children are being disrepected, but only when they make between $29K and $69K. Yeah, that's the ticket.

With a side order of latent homophobia too.

Author: CCinOC Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 671023 of 734709
Subject: Re: Work disincentives Date: 2/10/2013 10:35 AM
Recommendations: 0
Paul Krugman was on Fareed Zakaria this morning. Krugman said the reason Owebama isn't focused on jobs is because the partisan House wouldn't pass anything, anyway, so Owebama hasn't bothered to present a plan for jobs to the House.

Author: lowstudent Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 671026 of 734709
Subject: Re: Work disincentives Date: 2/10/2013 10:39 AM
Recommendations: 1
Paul Krugman was on Fareed Zakaria this morning. Krugman said the reason Owebama isn't focused on jobs is because the partisan House wouldn't pass anything, anyway, so Owebama hasn't bothered to present a plan for jobs to the House.

That's great, now no one has to do anything

Obama is useless so there is no need for the Senate or House to do anything.

Krugman is a genius. If he had told Obama and the Dems this 4 plus years ago, just think how much better off we would have been.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement