Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (16) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: jackcrow Big gold star, 5000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 39312  
Subject: Re: index funds Date: 5/10/2013 11:30 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 13
Worker,

I hope this provides a clearer picture for feedback.

It does.

And here is the first place you need to work on as an investor

Lastly, I consider myself a patient
then later
So really my question (which feels quite pressing) is: Into which indexes or ETFs do I put the remaining 30%?

If you are patient, be patient. YOU don't have the "understanding" of what differentiates one ETF from another. Why would you invest in any investment vehicle that you don't understand enough to take an educated risk. Being an anxious investor is a dangerous place to be. I know. I learned the hard way.

Here are the basics that you should know before you buy any stock, bond, index fund, managed fund, CD or whatever:
The basics of the security you are investing in:what is it, how do you use it.
What price are you willing to pay?
Under what conditions do you hold?
Under what conditions do you sell?

Truth be told you should have nothing in a portfolio unless you can answer those basic questions. I would suggest one of the first steps you take is that you go through what you own now and answer all those questions for each and every item you hold including your savings account.

The most tragic question we see repeated over and over is I bought X and now its down 50% or 75% what should I do? There are answers to that question but they should have been considered before you clicked buy. If you have those answers prior to owning then when something ugly comes your way you don't panic you execute. When a windfall drops in your lap you don't wonder if you should take profits or not, you already know.

I keep an investing log. Each and every purchase I have ever made going back to when I only new mutual funds are suppose to be good investments to my last trade. I keep one file card for each individual thing I hold or bought but have since sold, on that card is the investment thesis(why I bought it), how often I should review, conditions to hold, conditions for sale and in the case of a sale why I sold it.

You said and 20% MF recommendations that are more speculative. I find myself very interested in David's efforts to identify disruptive and emerging "game changers"
I too find these intriguing and I cannot invest in them. I don't have the right mind set. They always look too expensive. I don't know when I should sell. I don't know when I should hold. I would love to buy and hold one of these 10 baggers but I don't know how to pick them and manage them. I love the way David's mind works on these issues but I cannot blindly follow him and hope it turns out well, if I'm going to do that I would be better off giving my money to a professional manager and gone fishing instead of waiting for a newsletter to be emailed to me so I know what to do next.

You say you are sitting on 30% cash and are(my words) fretting about putting it to work. I've sat on 30% cash for over a year waiting for the right opportunity. I'm not saying that is what you should do. I'm just throwing it out. I like to have 1 full 'position' in my portfolio in cash so if I find an opportunity I can execute. I often don't have that cash. So I am often fully invested but I'm not fully invested because I think its best to be fully invested.

The most important point is that Worker needs to learn how to work "Workers Investment System". My way is not likely to be your way. David's way is not likely to be your way. We can learn from each other, pick up nuggets from each other but there is no one or five universal ways to invest, there are as many ways to invest as there are investors. You don't have to reinvent the wheel but you do need to pick out the cart, the wheels, the axle and hub caps if you want em.

makes sense?

jack
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (16) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Economic Implications of Cuba
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement