UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (16) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: tjscott0 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 740289  
Subject: World Aging Population affect on Our Nation? Date: 11/20/2012 5:20 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
http://csis.org/program/global-aging-initiative

The world stands on the threshold of a stunning demographic transformation brought about by declining birthrates and rising life expectancy.

For most of human history, the elderly only comprised a tiny fraction of the population, never more than 3 or 4 percent until about a century ago. In today’s developed world, they comprise roughly 15 percent of the population. By mid-century, the share is on track to reach 25 percent—and that’s just the average. In some fast-aging European countries, the share will be approaching 35 percent and in Japan it will be approaching 40 percent. Along the way, the populations of most developed countries will cease growing and in some cases enter a steep decline.
The developing world as a whole is still much younger, but it too is aging—with some countries traversing the entire demographic distance from young and growing to old and stagnant or declining at a breathtaking pace. By the 2040s, Mexico will be nearly as old as the United States—and China will be older. Meanwhile, South Korea will be vying with Germany, Italy, and Japan for the title of oldest country on earth.

Ideas? Thoughts?
Print the post Back To Top
Author: AOLFoolman100 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 656183 of 740289
Subject: Re: World Aging Population affect on Our Nation? Date: 11/20/2012 5:33 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
This may be the unspoken, silent reason why illegal immigration to the US has been allowed to occur without too much resistance. Yeah, there are short term problems, but long run, you need a young working population to support the economy.

All the major Western countries, including Japan and China are aging. Even the underdeveloped countries will slow down in its birthrates eventually as well, as they grow more wealth and become educated. More and more of the population is not economically productive. The population becomes top heavy with the elderly. This is anathema to growth. Economies will eventually become stagnant. The thing you can hope for is that technology advances so dramatically that its effects on economic advancements will supplant the loss caused by aging.

People....have more babies!! The act to create one, I hear, is a very pleasant experience!

Author: ariechert Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 656186 of 740289
Subject: Re: World Aging Population affect on Our Nation? Date: 11/20/2012 5:39 PM
"Ideas? Thoughts?" - tiscotto

-------------

Yes, more than likely in 20 years or less I'll be dead and won't care. The second I kick the bucket what happens here on Earth will be of no concern of mine.

So I don't care.

Art

Author: AOLFoolman100 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 656187 of 740289
Subject: Re: World Aging Population affect on Our Nation? Date: 11/20/2012 5:53 PM
Yes, more than likely in 20 years or less I'll be dead and won't care. The second I kick the bucket what happens here on Earth will be of no concern of mine.

So I don't care.

Art

So if you could live youthfully and pain free for 100 extra years, would you want to?

Author: tjscott0 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 656188 of 740289
Subject: Re: World Aging Population affect on Our Nation? Date: 11/20/2012 6:01 PM
People....have more babies!! The act to create one, I hear, is a very pleasant experience!

Sounds like fun!!

Problem is it increases the number of people on a planet with declining resources. Methinks more health care rationing & death panels are in the offing.

Author: MadCapitalist Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 656189 of 740289
Subject: Re: World Aging Population affect on Our Nation? Date: 11/20/2012 6:04 PM

Sounds like fun!!

Problem is it increases the number of people on a planet with declining resources. Methinks more health care rationing & death panels are in the offing.

I've got an idea:

http://www.americanliterature.com/Jackson/SS/TheLottery.html...

Author: tjscott0 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 656192 of 740289
Subject: Re: World Aging Population affect on Our Nation? Date: 11/20/2012 6:22 PM
I've got an idea:

http://www.americanliterature.com/Jackson/SS/TheLottery.html......

or

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Sp-VFBbjpE

Author: CCinOC Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 656194 of 740289
Subject: Re: World Aging Population affect on Our Nation? Date: 11/20/2012 6:49 PM
tjscott wrote: Ideas?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SVpN312hYgU

Author: CCinOC Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 656196 of 740289
Subject: Re: World Aging Population affect on Our Nation? Date: 11/20/2012 6:52 PM
Haha...I was tele'd by tjscott.

Author: fleg9bo Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 656197 of 740289
Subject: Re: World Aging Population affect on Our Nation? Date: 11/20/2012 6:53 PM
The world stands on the threshold of a stunning demographic transformation brought about by declining birthrates and rising life expectancy.

...the populations of most developed countries will cease growing and in some cases enter a steep decline.

Ideas? Thoughts?

The biggest problem is that, with global warming causing the Arctic to become free of ice floes, where are we going to put all those old folks?

--fleg

Author: lowstudent Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 656226 of 740289
Subject: Re: World Aging Population affect on Our Nation? Date: 11/20/2012 8:21 PM
The biggest problem is that, with global warming causing the Arctic to become free of ice floes, where are we going to put all those old folks?

--fleg

Well we could just cook them before they go bad.

Author: AOLFoolman100 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 656228 of 740289
Subject: Re: World Aging Population affect on Our Nation? Date: 11/20/2012 8:23 PM

--fleg

And inflatable floatie will just have to do...

Author: ascenzm Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 656235 of 740289
Subject: Re: World Aging Population affect on Our Nation? Date: 11/20/2012 8:57 PM
Ideas? Thoughts?

tjscott0

More Muslim immigration. They have no shortage of young people. <g>

Mike

Author: ariechert Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 656255 of 740289
Subject: Re: World Aging Population affect on Our Nation? Date: 11/20/2012 11:19 PM
"So if you could live youthfully and pain free for 100 extra years, would you want to?" - Aolf

Nope, I've about worn it out on this side. I'm curious to see what's on the other side. Never have been much of a procrastinator.

Art

Author: andrew61 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 656573 of 740289
Subject: Re: World Aging Population affect on Our Nation? Date: 11/23/2012 2:15 AM

No.

Author: andrew61 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 656574 of 740289
Subject: Re: World Aging Population affect on Our Nation? Date: 11/23/2012 2:20 AM
Nope, I've about worn it out on this side. I'm curious to see what's on the other side. Never have been much of a procrastinator.

Art

Art, something occurred to me the other day that I had long forgotten about. When I was about 12 or 13 or so, my dad had an experience that, from the way he described it, might've been an NDE. I'm tired now and want to finish reading Tuesday's threads, so I'll post in more detail some other time.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (16) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement