No. of Recommendations: 0
Just over a minute - actual best visual scale at the end
video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DUcR-anHVs0
World Biggest Diamond mine Russia
Print the post Back To Top
God that's scary looking. I'd hate to go down into that thing.

Artie
Think about those dump trucks going up and down on what appears to be very precarious roads.

Donna
Think about those dump trucks going up and down on what appears to be very precarious roads.

Donna
---------------------

That's what I was thinking, too. Dirt roads: just think about how treacherous those are in regular circumstances, but knowing how companies only care about money and the bottom line, imagine what happens when it is raining. Do they stop in the winter when there is snow and ice? I bet they don't.
No. of Recommendations: 1
That's what I was thinking, too. Dirt roads: just think about how treacherous those are in regular circumstances, but knowing how companies only care about money and the bottom line, imagine what happens when it is raining. Do they stop in the winter when there is snow and ice? I bet they don't.
----------------------------------------

The mine is now inactive.

FWIW it's smaller than the Berkeley pit was in Butte Montana.

That car next to the truck could have been our car the last time we went to Butte. We took an almost identical picture. Unfortunately you'll have to take my word for it, since all our pictures burnt in the house fire.

The one in Utah is even bigger.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bingham_Canyon_Mine
Thanks, Jean. I didn't realize the Russian mine is inactive.

And look at the link info you gave on the Utah mine: not only the deepest, but owned by a UK company. It didn't say "owned" but headquartered in UK - don't know what that means exactly. Could it be an American company be located in UK? Doesn't make sense to me, but I know nothing about these things.

"It is the deepest open-pit mine in the world. The mine is owned by Rio Tinto Group, an international mining and exploration company headquartered in the United Kingdom. The copper operations at Bingham Canyon Mine are managed through Kennecott Utah Copper Corporation which operates the mine, a concentrator plant, a smelter, and a refinery. The mine has been in production since 1906, and has resulted in the creation of a pit over 0.75 miles (1.21 km) deep, 2.5 miles (4 km) wide, and covering 1,900 acres (770 ha). According to Kennecott, it is the world's largest man-made excavation.[3] It was designated a National Historic Landmark in 1966 under the name Bingham Canyon Open Pit Copper Mine.[2]"
Jean: Unfortunately you'll have to take my word for it, since all our pictures burnt in the house fire.

That's why there is Flickr and snapfish.

Count Upp
That's why there is Flickr and snapfish.

Count Upp
========================

Hindsight is 20/20
Advertisement