UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (1) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: TParadiso Two stars, 250 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 532  
Subject: WorldCom's Capellas Missing a Key Body Part Date: 1/16/2003 9:50 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 5
Mike, You Lose Something?

George Anders a Wall Street Journal reporter has written a book on Carly Fiorina and the events leading to the merger of HP and Compaq. It illustrates how Carly hoodwinked HP's inept board into thinking the merger was a good idea. Not that difficult with a board that is afraid of its own shadow. But that's not the interesting part.

What was interesting was the jockeying between Fiorina and Michael Capellas, Compaq's former CEO and now head of WorldCom. As you would expect, there was a minor disagreement regarding who would run the merged company. Capellas must have been on drugs because he evidently thought he might actually gain control. Earth to Mikie, HP bought Compaq not the other way around. Check chapter one in Mergers for Dummies and you'll see it's the CEO with the money that gets first dibs on being head honcho.

Capellas, still in his delusional state, made a feeble attempt to pressure Fiorina by suggesting the merger wasn't in Compaq's best interest. That amateurish tactic lasted about a heartbeat before Mike, like a puppy that just relieved itself on the living room couch, came back to the bargaining table.

Here's the best part. When the lawyers needed code names for the paperwork, Carly, whose undergraduate degree is in medieval hsitory, chose Heloise for HP and Abelard for Compaq. I'm sure you're all familiar with these characters. Oh, I forgot, you read the drivel I write not medieval French literature. Well, let me enlighten you. It turns out Abelard was castrated because he ticked off Heloise's family. Capellas, being the astute businessman he is, didn't become aware of the ironic symbolism until September 2002. What a moron. Worse yet, a moron with no balls. Good luck WorldCom.

Carly, I think you're destined to crash and burn but I do admire the way you handled this little episode. Too bad the executives at IBM and Dell aren't missing any body parts.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (1) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Looking at Currency Ratios
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement