UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: TMFCogitarius Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Home Fool Global Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 195  
Subject: World's largest rare earth refinery Date: 3/9/2011 11:32 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 3
'A giant Australian mining company, Lynas, is hurrying to finish a $230 million rare earth refinery here, on the northern outskirts of Malaysia’s industrial port of Kuantan. The plant will refine slightly radioactive ore from the Mount Weld mine deep in the Australian desert, 2,500 miles away. The ore will be trucked to the Australian port of Fremantle and transported by container ship from there.

Within two years, Lynas says, the refinery will be able to meet nearly a third of the world’s demand for rare earth materials — not counting China, which has its own abundant supplies.'

'The new Lynas refinery, with nearly two dozen interconnected buildings and 50 acres of floor space, will house the latest in pollution control equipment and radiation sensors. A signature feature will be 12 acres of interim storage pools that will be lined with dense plastic and sit atop nearly impermeable clay, to hold the slightly radioactive byproducts until they can be carted away.

But carted to where? That is still an open question.'
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/03/09/business/energy-environmen...
----------------------------
GG Home Fool
Print the post Back To Top
Author: Zurdoc1 One star, 50 posts Global Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 124 of 195
Subject: Re: World's largest rare earth refinery Date: 3/15/2011 12:08 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
So the material will be mined in Australia and then shipped to Malaysia to be refined.

Has anyone looked at Lynas as a company?

Author: aleax Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Favorite Fools Global Fool Pro Community Winner Motley Fool One Everlasting Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 125 of 195
Subject: Re: World's largest rare earth refinery Date: 3/15/2011 2:26 PM
Recommendations: 2
Has anyone looked at Lynas as a company?

Yes, Anna and I made it part of a rare-earths "basket" we put together for ourselves about 6+ months ago (with REE, MCP, TASXF, GWMGF, AVARF, and NEMFF -- all very small positions of course, adding up to about twice a "normal full size position" for all 7 together).

Then as we decided to liquidate some positions about three months ago (to make funds available for a portfolio-fraction for a new MF service we'd joined), we liquidated the whole basket, realizing nice short-term profits but leaving almost as many profits on the table compared to today's prices (due esp. to the amazing run-up in TASXF and GWMGF since our sales).

I was starting to get worried that the whole group had seen such a huge run-up, so fast, and (besides having acted earlier and gotten in at good prices;-) I really had no special advantage compared to the masses of investors who clearly were piling in based on the relentlessly positive mass media coverage of these investments.

I can (just barely) make sense out of financial reports drawn up by European, Australian or Canadian (rather than American) accounting standards, but beyond that, what do I really know about rare earth exploration, mining, refining? Not nearly enough to warrant such exposure without a more knowledgeable advisor to guide me -- hence the decision to pick these among the positions we liquidated at the time.

Say for example rumors surface about any one or more of them being to some extent fraudulent or even just having "somewhat pumped up" financials AKA "creative" or at least "aggressive" accounting -- how would I evaluate such rumors without a knowledgeable advisor, ideally one who has visited the company, interviewed management, &c, to help? (Thinking of what I'd have done with YONG and CGA w/o GG's precious guidance reinforces this point to me;-).

If GG (or another paid advisory service I trust) decides to research and recommend any of these companies I'd have absolutely no qualms getting back in, but it's not the kind of investment I can be comfortable handling entirely on my own (as I do for a few selected names of small companies that unaccountably appear to have slipped below the sensitive radars of all the many trusted paid advisory services I'm on, such as RGR or CALM;-).

Author: mfishb Two stars, 250 posts Old School Fool Global Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 184 of 195
Subject: Re: World's largest rare earth refinery Date: 12/1/2011 4:21 AM
Recommendations: 0
FYI
It does seem from this that Lynas bears serious watching, now that that plant is about to come online.

Lower rare earths price healthy – Lynas CEO
COMMENT PRINT EMAIL |

By: Esmarie Swanepoel
30th November 2011
Updated 1 hour 33 minutes ago
TEXT SIZE

PERTH (miningweekly.com) - Australia-based Lynas CEO Nicholas Curtis said on Wednesday that the recent price retracement for rare earths was a healthy development for the industry.

He said rare-earth prices, particularly those outside of China, had reached unsustainable levels.

“The first half of this year saw an extraordinary explosion in rare-earth prices. Prices of various rare earths more than tripled from an already high point at the beginning of the year,” Curtis said.

Since August, prices have come down, leading to a readjustment of equity market valuations.

“We believe this price retracement is healthy for the industry. Prices are still very satisfactory, but much more sustainable for our customers,” Curtis said.

Meanwhile, he reported that the first phase of its rare earths processing plant in Malaysia was “on the verge” of being completed. It would be ready to receive concentrate from the Mount Weld mine in Australia in the first quarter of 2012.

Under the first phase, the Lynas Advanced Materials Plant (LAMP) would produce some 11 000 t/y of rare-earth oxide, which would be doubled during Phase 2 in 2013.

Lynas initially scheduled first ore feed into LAMP for September, but the date was pushed back after the Malaysian government imposed a number of recommendations to address fears over health and radioactivity concerns.

“Construction is more than 85% complete and as we gear up for first production, our ready-for-start-up programme is largely complete,” said Curtis.

“We will be the first new and significant source of rare earths in the world outside of China for about 50 years. We will have the largest rare earths integrated processing capacity, from mine to separated rare-earth oxides in the world. We will also have the highest environmental standards of any rare earths plant in the world.”

Edited by: Maria

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement