Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: Windowseat Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 803  
Subject: Worse all the time. Date: 12/8/2012 12:19 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Is there anyone who comprehends dates writing these things?

I'm trying to track down my 6x great-grandfather's second wife. (A whole blank area in Mom's genealogy just crashed in and there's lots of information. A month ago I couldn't find my 4x great-grandfather).

So, my ancestor, after the death of his first wife, married a young widow named Anne Greenslit or Greensleet. Anne's first husband was one Jacob Pudeater. He died. Anne Greenslit Pudeater was executed in 1692 during the Salem Witch Trials.

She must have been a really good witch, because she married my ancestor in 1710, and was granted administrator of his will in 1724. Pretty good going for someone who'd been dead that long.

http://familytreemaker.genealogy.com/users/a/v/e/Eileen-A-Av...

Obviously, the woman my ancestor married was some other Anne Greenslit. But when I look at a mess like this, I really shake my head.

Nancy
and she had several children, too! After being hanged!
Print the post Back To Top
Author: Windowseat Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 748 of 803
Subject: Re: Worse all the time. Date: 12/8/2012 1:00 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
And here's the flip side:

http://familytreemaker.genealogy.com/users/a/v/e/Eileen-A-Av...

Exactly the same thing, in adjacent sentences, and she (or he) still doesn't see the error.

But after a closer examination of the evidence, I have arrived at a minority position: the first wife outlived her husband. There was no second marriage.

Nancy
mutter mutter.

Author: pauleckler Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 749 of 803
Subject: Re: Worse all the time. Date: 12/8/2012 3:43 PM
The tendency of some families to reuse certain favorite given names again and again can make genealogy especially interesting. Records are often fragmentary. Sorting them all out can be challenging.

But men are easier than women. Men at least have records and usually keep the same surname.

Author: Windowseat Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 750 of 803
Subject: Re: Worse all the time. Date: 12/8/2012 4:59 PM
The tendency of some families to reuse certain favorite given names again and again can make genealogy especially interesting. Records are often fragmentary. Sorting them all out can be challenging.

But men are easier than women. Men at least have records and usually keep the same surname.

True, but when you discover you have five Jonathan Eatons and none of them bothered to add numbers to his name, it can be very frustrating.

But I'm getting there. I just wish the people working on the new Avery information would be a little more careful with the member connections, because I had Job, John, William, Ezekiel and Isaac all mixed together.

And then there's also the cute habit people had of writing down the same date. I've had a ton of birthdays, deaths and weddings dated January 1st of whatever year, and finally realized that whoever was writing in the church register (or in some cases rewriting it) just lumped everything together and gave it the same date.

Very irritating.

Nancy

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement