UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (58) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: Mangard Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 308882  
Subject: worstnightmare Date: 5/29/2001 3:55 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 53
Hello, I just wanted to make sure you got this message.

First of all, welcome to the cc board. Secondly, I don't know if you are a completely new person to this board or are using a new dopple, of course. Thirdly, you have posted several times today. I have read the new messages. You seem, IMHO, to have quite the strong personality. That, in life, can be fascinating, in the proper context. IMHO, however, your commentary today has been quite harsh. The points you have made are well understood by the majority of people on this board. At least in my case, I came to this board looking for advice in order to pay my debts and organize my financial life. I am not trying to duck out from under any debts I owe to creditors and/or society. IMHO, 98% of the people that post several times to this board, feel the same way. There are the occasional black sheep that want the "easy answers", without having to actually give the creditors anything. In general, this is not the case and this behavior on the board is frowned upon by the 98% participating members that come here to find the most painless way to fulfill their credit obligations. It is very easy to become overwhelmed by one's debt, to become melancolic, and in a depression to contemplate suicide and bankcruptcy. This is a human response to stress and people come here to talk about it, discuss financial alternatives, and share in the trials, tribulations, and the occasional moments of joy while struggling through debt. Please consider these words. Please do not type unduly harsh responses because it is quite discouraging (especially during a happy dance). People know they are in trouble and they come here seking help and ecouragement. They KNOW what and to whom they OWE. Or come here seeking the answers. I feel as though I am here to educate and be educated not to berate others. Good Luck.

Mangard
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post Back To Top
Author: ishtarastarte Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 72981 of 308882
Subject: Re: worstnightmare Date: 5/29/2001 4:03 PM
Recommendations: 3
Thank you, Mangard!!!

You showed much more restraint than I was contemplating!
Ishtar

Author: JLizNY Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 72982 of 308882
Recommendations: 6
Thank you, Mangard, for saying so eloquently what I myself wanted to say. And I do agree that anyone who is on this board is serious about getting out of debt and living up to their obligations (as I myself am) and this board serves as a forum to exchange ideas and get the moral support needed when confronted by collectors demanding obscene amounts of money today and adding to our already stressful lives with threats.

Thanks again, Mangard,

And shame on you, worstnightmare, for not realizing what this board is about - moral support and advice.

JLizNY

Author: worstnightmare One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 72983 of 308882
Recommendations: 1
I just have a hard time with people taking about all these "rights" that can & do get people sued.

I said from the get-go that nearly everyone that is making an honest attempt at regular payments will NOT be sued.

Getting "cute" by proclaiming all these "rights" does not help and indeed hurts.

All the collector wants is arrangements you can & will live up to so he never has to call you. (Or once every year)

The sad case is most times people pay once and then you have to hammer them over & over & over.

Nobody should consider suicide over debts. Go bankrupt. Pay or whatever but dont get "cute" because it only makes things worse.

Author: worstnightmare One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 72989 of 308882
Subject: Re: worstnightmare Date: 5/29/2001 4:13 PM
Moral support is not saying "send me proof" or sending "do not contact" letters. That is compounding the problem and will lead to bigger problems later on.

I flat out told you that most people with somewhat reasonable debts, can pay $50-100 a month and not be sued. In fact, if you are SURE you will pay each and every month, go ahead and send the "do not contact" letter. But, if you quit paying for 3-4 months and we cant call you.
Dont be suprised if you get sued.

Spending countless hours on every technical aspect of collection law shows incredible denial of the very issue that got you there.

By the way, we used to honor VERBAL "do not contact" requests.

You people seem to forget, you are NOT a customer. You are a DEBTOR. Its not a pleasant "shopping" like atmosphere.

Author: TheDynamo One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 72991 of 308882
Subject: Re: worstnightmare Date: 5/29/2001 4:15 PM
Heh, I just reported him and sent him to "Ignoreland" :)

-Dynamo --speaketh softly and carries a large keyboard

Author: Squawk1200 Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 72995 of 308882
Subject: Re: worstnightmare Date: 5/29/2001 4:27 PM
Recommendations: 10
You people seem to forget, you are NOT a customer. You are a DEBTOR.

Yes, but you, for all your bluster and alleged experience seem to have forgotten that the DEBTOR is the dource of the MONEY. If the debtor doesn't pay, you get nothing. Zip. Nada.

Your attitude might have worked in your collections days to weasel money out of people that didn't know their rights, but when your ilk tried this type of nonsense on me I sued and they paid. All of your pretend outrage at the notion that some creitors don't get paid in accordance with the contract is laughable. This is the real world. Contracts get breached. There are remedies. It isn't a crime, and it isn't any kind of moral failing. It's just money.

Author: worstnightmare One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 73000 of 308882
Subject: Re: worstnightmare Date: 5/29/2001 4:33 PM
Actually, we get more & quicker via a garnishment.

And YES, failing to pay ones obligations IS INDEED a moral failing. Particularly if it gets to an agency. (Some medical bills do not apply)

Author: Mangard Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 73001 of 308882
Subject: Re: worstnightmare Date: 5/29/2001 4:34 PM
Recommendations: 12
If someone was to say to you, Mr. Worstnightmare, you owe us xK of dollars for an overdue bill, please give me your checking acount number over the phone, would you do it?

Without any written payment agreement or any kind of statement do you just hand out money?

Do banks, credit card companies, mortgage lenders, modeling agencies, acting agencies, car salesmen, COURTS, lawyers, doctors, post offices, prenuptial agreements between married couples, landlords etc..., act only on good faith arrangements or do they send bills and have written statements? Why would a reputable, honest collection agency be above and beyond any professionals and/or consumers in our society that demands written agreements of payment?

Mangard

Author: tomchick29 Two stars, 250 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 73002 of 308882
Subject: Re: worstnightmare Date: 5/29/2001 4:34 PM
Squawk-

If I could rec your post 1000 times I would.

Sometimes people really need to hear that financial mis-steps are just that...financial mis-steps.

Life goes on. Bills get paid. The end.

Author: Squawk1200 Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 73004 of 308882
Subject: Re: worstnightmare Date: 5/29/2001 4:36 PM
Recommendations: 0
we get more & quicker via a garnishment</i.

Ahh, now I see. You're just playing with us here, 'cause its obvious that you did not, in fact, work for a collections agency.

Good one, but it's P-box time.

Author: worstnightmare One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 73008 of 308882
Subject: Re: worstnightmare Date: 5/29/2001 4:39 PM
Please understand that back then we didnt have the phone checks. But, indeed, I have called the varios bills that didnt get here and gave them my checking info over the phone.

But to a collection agency, probably not.

a COLLECTION AGENCY is not in the business of sending out statements. The creditor did that and you ignored them for months on end. Thats why it got to an agency. You have PROVEN that the written communication didnt work !

Author: wallywest00 One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 73011 of 308882
Subject: Re: worstnightmare Date: 5/29/2001 4:46 PM
Recommendations: 10
All I can say is worstnightmare's comments are typical of collectors. And that's exactly why you have to get everything in writing. You're dealing with an individual that has no care for the law, your rights, or anything else for that matter. His ONLY concern is seperating you from your paycheck and he will lie his head off to get it.

Ironic that a person of this nature would lecture us about honesty and fair play. "Debtors are scum sucking low lifes who deserve to have their rights trashed" he says. Nice, thank you Mr. judge jury & executioner. I hope you never get a job with any real power.

Author: worstnightmare One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 73022 of 308882
Subject: Re: worstnightmare Date: 5/29/2001 4:57 PM
Recommendations: 2
I happen to feel that those that dont pay their obligations are "scum sucking low lifes who deserve to have their rights trashed" .
That doesnt change the fact that getting "cute" is hurting YOU, not the collector.

Author: wallywest00 One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 73024 of 308882
Subject: Re: worstnightmare Date: 5/29/2001 5:01 PM
Recommendations: 4
And I happen to feel that people who ignore the law and use tactics typically reserved for loan sharks are "scum sucking low lifes" themselves.

Hiding behind the theoretical nature of your clients doesn't change the fact those tactics are against the law.

Author: worstnightmare One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 73026 of 308882
Subject: Re: worstnightmare Date: 5/29/2001 5:03 PM
Other than a few unintential calls to Hawaii in the middle of the night, i did not break any laws while i was a collector. We had a supervisor and a manager on the floor most of the time to see to that.

Depsite the garbage you hear, collectors rarely break the law. Deadbeats do break their word however. Thats why their credit is shot and they have collectors calling.

Author: saruchi One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 73027 of 308882
Subject: Re: worstnightmare Date: 5/29/2001 5:04 PM
Hey, worstnightmare, was that your brilliant quote or someone else's? Please post someplace else - we don't need your negativity and bad vibes here. We're going to pay off all our "obligations" despite your opinions!! (Getting real close to clicking on Mr. Frownie-Face!)

Author: gwagle Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 73035 of 308882
Subject: Re: worstnightmare Date: 5/29/2001 5:12 PM
<<Nobody should consider suicide over debts. Go bankrupt. Pay or whatever but dont get "cute" because it only makes things worse.>>

Would it be fair to say that getting "cute" means forcing you to work harder for your comission?

Greta

Author: worstnightmare One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 73039 of 308882
Subject: Re: worstnightmare Date: 5/29/2001 5:18 PM
nO, GETTING "CUTE" means creating more problems than you need by denying a just obligation and/or pretending the collection agency is the bad guy. YOU were the one that didnt pay...for MONTHS on end. Otherwise collectors wouldnt have the account.
You showed a intentional failure to pay or work out ANY arrangements despite your word.

My word is my bond. I can buy $30,000 worth of cars on my word anytime I want.

Author: gwagle Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 73044 of 308882
Subject: Re: worstnightmare Date: 5/29/2001 5:26 PM
<<nO, GETTING "CUTE" means creating more problems than you need by denying a just obligation and/or pretending the collection agency is the bad guy. YOU were the one that didnt pay...for MONTHS on end. Otherwise collectors wouldnt have the account. You showed a intentional failure to pay or work out ANY arrangements despite your word.

My word is my bond. I can buy $30,000 worth of cars on my word anytime I want.>>

You shouldn't assume that just because someone is not fond of collection agencies' abusive tactics that means she's a debtor. And I feel certain that your ability to get credit is of no greater interest to anyone on this board than mine is, so why do you flaunt it?

Greta

Author: MarkHiatt Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 73051 of 308882
Subject: Re: worstnightmare Date: 5/29/2001 6:01 PM
>
> Would it be fair to say that getting "cute" means forcing
> you to work harder for your comission?
>

There it is! I'm namin' all of my kids "Greta!"

-MH- Paying bills responsibly, since 1902.

Author: MarkHiatt Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 73052 of 308882
Subject: Re: worstnightmare Date: 5/29/2001 6:03 PM
Recommendations: 5
>
> I can buy $30,000 worth of cars on my word anytime I want.
>

Hell, I can do that with one credit card and a signature! :-\

Sort of reminds me of the David Spade quote, on seeing a stretch limousine drive by: "Wow! You had sixty-five dollars!"

-MH-

Author: warrl Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 73054 of 308882
Subject: Re: worstnightmare Date: 5/29/2001 6:07 PM
It occurs to me that if a debtor has two accounts that she is aware of with a particular creditor, and has made arrangements to pay those debts, and is not only living up to those arrangements but going beyond them -

and then a THIRD account with that creditor appears, after several years absence from any correspondence, BEGINNING with a threatening letter from a collection agency that takes the same "forget the law" attitude that worstnightmare exhibits....

it isn't the debtor that is CURRENTLY being unethical...

and it isn't the debtor that has been ignoring notices LATELY...

Author: Mangard Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 73062 of 308882
Subject: Re: worstnightmare Date: 5/29/2001 6:39 PM
"My word is my bond. I can buy $30,000 worth of cars on my word anytime I want. "

And then, bing, you sign a credit, loan, payment agreement. Unless you are a better con artist then you make us believe.

Mangard

Author: wildgirl Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 73074 of 308882
Subject: Re: worstnightmare Date: 5/29/2001 8:03 PM
Recommendations: 21
I'm here! I was away today.. busy in and around the beautiful Commonwealth of PA. Ok I'm biased.. I was "born and raised" here. Wish I had the money to live here but another story entirely...

I went to Lancaster County Pa, yes my dear Fools, the land of the lovely Amish & Mennonite populace. Just a bit of an afternoon ride.. for me it's just a few miles.. LBMM!

I rode so far gas prices went down 20 cents a gallon! Did I mention I LOVE to drive and just got a brand new tire on the old car?

I was in Intercourse, Pa.. so help me G-d, I was. There was a big old farm there with multiple cows. There was fresh, and I do mean to tell you fresh manure applied. I am not a first time starter to manure. I had a small farmette < 10 acres with many animals. I lived next to a production chicken farm with 30K plus chickens constantly turning over.And twice a year, they would spread said manure. I did not take a deep breath for miles. That and dodging the HUVs and the WUVs.. all were out today in the horses, buggies and wagons..

I know manure.

I will put Worstnightmare on the manure challenge. My first husband had more debt than any of us can imagine. The pond scum would call and call and call. They would run out of the 7 year time. They would sell the debt to the sucking the debris out of the pond that the pond suckers just vacated..

May I elucidate? Just sign here at this rate but that will REFRESH.....and guess what guys and gals.. you just activated the p/s/s for another 6.5 years.

Now Sir Worst..

I ask you.. what did the p/s/s do to Hub #1? They would call and Oh we will.. take the pool, take the swings, we will..

And they did what.. It was all manure.

And here years later I ran the old boy.. fico in ++++++++..

Now what about me? I owe a telephone bill actually two.. I have a porta pot rental bill for 5 years now.

I am a property owner, received a sizable settlement from a MVA a few years ago, pay my taxes including self-employment, my first husband and I have always kept current with addresses.

Now where is this GARNISHMENT. FWIW.. GARISH.. is something horrific.. unsightly, making one turn the head away.

Garnish of course is the FORCED payments. You as a shill for the creditor could no sooner "garnish" one of the poor souls on your "list" for the day then I could develop a 26 inch waist this evening.

And court.. I have been in court for a property I own. It took two years, many thousands of dollars, and I had to send the s.o.b. that owed me money all kinds of legal forms. I am back with the lawyer within a few weeks.

You can blow all the smoke you want.. I will go on record as saying that you are more full of the bovine manure that I passed today than of the truth.

wdg :>

Author: randypj Two stars, 250 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 73076 of 308882
Subject: Re: worstnightmare Date: 5/29/2001 8:21 PM
Again....he's just a bleedin' Troll......

-------------------------------
Geez people....why bother discussing it with him? He's just pushing your buttons.

IMO, worstnightmare = Troll

and....is attempting to scare ic1533.

with his inconsistent use of past/present tense, do you suppose he might still be a collector? Would you think he might be indicative of the average intelligence of collectors? ;)

LizKing would wipe him......
--Randy
------------------------------------

Author: Allisonh2 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 73085 of 308882
Subject: Re: worstnightmare Date: 5/29/2001 8:52 PM
I can't understand why worstnightmare is even bothering posting here! This board is supposed to be support for people who are having debt problems and need advise and friendship among fellow fools! I wish he'd just crawl back under the rock that he came from!

Author: FixitWoman Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 73087 of 308882
Subject: Re: worstnightmare Date: 5/29/2001 8:58 PM
I can't understand why worstnightmare is even bothering posting here! This board is supposed to be support for people who are having debt problems and need advise and friendship among fellow fools! I wish he'd just crawl back under the rock that he came from!

Why have him crawl when you can put him there yourself? Simply put him in the penalty box and you won't hear another word.

Kim
Who quit smoking 3 hours, 27 minutes ago and saved approximately $.96 so far.

Author: Abbaree Two stars, 250 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 73088 of 308882
Subject: Re: worstnightmare Date: 5/29/2001 9:00 PM

I second that motion. His/her statements were clearly uncalled for, isn't there a debt collectors board they can lurk on??

Author: AHOLLYS Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 73159 of 308882
Subject: Re: worstnightmare Date: 5/30/2001 2:01 AM
Actually, we get more & quicker via a garnishment.

Worst,

What % would you say goes to garnishment ?

Ho-Lo

Author: worstnightmare One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 73163 of 308882
Subject: Re: worstnightmare Date: 5/30/2001 2:10 AM
Not large but as a % of those who sent cease communication letters it is significant. Its usually those that we knew had a garnishable job and went several months with no payments since we got it.
In the case of those that listen to those who know so little and refuse all communication, the % is higher.

The firm I was with used to reccomend that JCPenny refer accounts to attoney for collection for amounts as low as $200 !

And this could be avoided by working with the collector and making a good faith attempt. Even $10 a month on a $200 balance would probably keep them from being sued. But they refused to communicate.

The agency is forced to collect really the only way left. Make no mistake, JCPenny puts several agencies up against one another to see who performs the best. Its very competitive. JCPenny couldnt care less if someone is sued...they just want the best overall collections.

i STRONGLY urge people to SEND IN SOMETHING...even $10-50 per month will often keep you from being sued. ITS WORTH IT !

Author: Mark0Young Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 73166 of 308882
Subject: Re: worstnightmare Date: 5/30/2001 2:45 AM
we don't need your negativity and bad vibes here.

If you click on worstnightmare's name where he is the author, you can then click on "report this profile". You will then be given an area where you can type your complaint.

Author: worstnightmare One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 73167 of 308882
Subject: Re: worstnightmare Date: 5/30/2001 2:52 AM
And I encourage you to do that. Forget freedom of speech. That must only apply to people who DONT pay their bills ! LOL

Author: Stockbuyer2 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 73169 of 308882
Subject: Re: worstnightmare Date: 5/30/2001 3:35 AM
"we don't need your negativity and bad vibes here.

If you click on worstnightmare's name where he is the author, you can then click on "report this profile". You will then be given an area where you can type your complaint."

I'm not sure what it is exactly that anyone has to complain about. I admit that I haven't read ALL the post on the worstnightmare threads (got seriously bored) but what I have read he/she has not use any bad language or called anyone bad names. It's that you don't agree with what they're saying. Where I'm not saying I agree with or disagree with anyone, as long as they're not being abusive they should have the right to post on these boards just like anyone else. Negativity and bad vibes are sometimes caused by truth and denial by some. Where there are many creditors who too easily turn people over to collection agencies there are also many people who owe money who will not and do not take responsiblity for their actions. I would hope that those on this thread would just agree to disagree and move on to another topic. Hopefully to one that will give me a new idea for LBMM.

Stockbuyer2

Author: SeattlePioneer Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 73222 of 308882
Subject: Re: worstnightmare Date: 5/30/2001 12:01 PM
<<I'm not sure what it is exactly that anyone has to complain about. I admit that I haven't read ALL the post on the worstnightmare threads (got seriously bored) but what I have read he/she has not use any bad language or called anyone bad names. It's that you don't agree with what they're saying. Where I'm not saying I agree with or disagree with anyone, as long as they're not being abusive they should have the right to post on these boards just like anyone else. Negativity and bad vibes are sometimes caused by truth and denial by some. Where there are many creditors who too easily turn people over to collection agencies there are also many people who owe money who will not and do not take responsiblity for their actions. I would hope that those on this thread would just agree to disagree and move on to another topic. >>

I agree. I do think there are a number of people aiming to game the system in order to avoid collection agencies and do what they want to do. At the same time, they seem to be the first to complain when collection agencies do the same thing.

I also think giving advice to people on the assumption they wont be sued and garnisheed is irresponsible. At a minimum, people who are giving advice should remind people that this is always a risk.

Worstnightmare is bringing a different point of view to the board, and importantly some insight into how collection agency personnel think and operate. That is a valuable resource for this board, in my opinion. You don't have to like that point of view or even respect it, but understanding it is both interesting and valuable for me.

Seattle Pioneer

Author: microfood Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 73223 of 308882
Subject: Re: worstnightmare Date: 5/30/2001 12:11 PM
While worstnightmare's message is certainly a different point of view, and he/she is entitled to voice them, is it really necessary to be so inflammatory conveying the message? Clearly he/she has been fortunate/careful enough to avoid ever being confronted with the "pay up or else" axe, but the passing of such harsh judgement on limited information is a bit disappointing. In this forum, it is unlikely we will hear the entire history of one person's journey into indebtedness, so I would think it inappropriate to jump to conclusions about their personalities (i.e. "deadbeats."). Simple unforseen events such as medical problems, divorce, or death of a spouse can turn carefully planned financial plans upside down.

As for being "good on one's word," you can count me in, too. I've been in the big debt boat and it sucked. I payed off every cent I borrowed as agreed over a LONG period of time. I come here to learn more about using tools like credit to my advantage and perhaps help someone who's still in the boat do the best they can to get out. I have yet to see a message telling someone to avoid their commitments (usually it's a message persuading someone NOT to file bankruptcy). And, probably most importantly, I try to be courteous to them. After all, they may be strangers but they're still human.

-A.

Author: Squawk1200 Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 73232 of 308882
Subject: Re: worstnightmare Date: 5/30/2001 12:38 PM
Worstnightmare is bringing a different point of view to the board, and importantly some insight into how collection agency personnel think and operate. That is a valuable resource for this board, in my opinion. You don't have to like that point of view or even respect it, but understanding it is both interesting and valuable for me.

With all due respect, there is little evidence to suggest that worstnightmare has the experience he claims. Indeed, his statement that his agency got more money and got it faster when resorting to lawsuits is absurd on its face.

The only "interest" and "value" added so far by worstnightmare's posts is the glee generated in some observers by his insulting and berating others.

Author: dianakalt Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 73247 of 308882
Subject: Re: worstnightmare Date: 5/30/2001 1:17 PM
I happen to feel that those that dont pay their obligations are "scum sucking low lifes who deserve to have their rights trashed" .
That doesnt change the fact that getting "cute" is hurting YOU, not the collector.

Are you for real? I get just as irritated with people who duck out of paying their debts as the next guy because it raises borrowing costs for responsible people, but damn dude--you seem to think you are the be all and end all of everything.

I don't think there is anything wrong with people who are being harrassed by creditors knowing their rights. I am not a big fan of people who owe money ducking out of that responsibility via obscure loophole, but I certainly don't think a Cease and Desist letter is unreasonable in many circumstances!

D

Author: dianakalt Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 73248 of 308882
Subject: Re: worstnightmare Date: 5/30/2001 1:20 PM
Deadbeats do break their word however. Thats why their credit is shot and they have collectors calling.

I once rented a video from blockbuster, watched it, and returned it. Blockbuster lost it, sent me a notice, and I told them I had returned it on XYZ date. They said OK. I never heard anything again until a few months later when a collection agency started contacting me and harrassing me regularly. I refused to pay for the tape because i didn't HAVE it.

Am I a deadbeat? You seem to think everyone who has a collector calling them is. Do I fit the bill?

d

Author: SpaceEngineer Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 73263 of 308882
Subject: Re: worstnightmare Date: 5/30/2001 2:02 PM

There is a difference between "being cute" in an attempt to delay collection procedures and someone exercising their rights to ensure that they are not unfairly taken advantage of by an industry that is notorious for it; and industry that subsequently required the writing of federal law to define what "fair practices" are because they were incapable of determining fair and reasonable on their own.

Although I realize that may are, not every person being contacted by a collections agency is an uncooperative deadbeat. It is unfair to assume that they are. "I don't have to be honest and professional as a collector because the debtors are not" just doesn't fly.

Author: SpaceEngineer Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 73267 of 308882
Subject: Re: worstnightmare Date: 5/30/2001 2:08 PM
And I encourage you to do that. Forget freedom of speech. That must only apply to people who DONT pay their bills ! LOL

Now Worstnightmare has made a couple of comments that are beginning to sound like he's accusing everyone on this board as being a deadbeat.

The first one in the previous thread, I just let go by. Gave him the benefit of the doubt.

Author: SeattlePioneer Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 73275 of 308882
Subject: Re: worstnightmare Date: 5/30/2001 2:22 PM
<<Although I realize that may are, not every person being contacted by a collections agency is an uncooperative deadbeat. It is unfair to assume that they are. "I don't have to be honest and professional as a collector because the debtors are not" just doesn't fly.
>>

This works both ways. Personally, when I've been contacted by collection agencies, I get hostile and angry right off the bat, and work up to obnoxious soon thereafter! This is no more justified than collection agents being abusive to people they are dealing with.

Let's face it, collection agency personnel are dealing with people who lie, cheat and want to avoid their responsibilities very often. I'm sure they are frequently greeted by hostile and abusive people such as myself when they call.

It would take a mighty personality not to be affected by all that, and I imagine that many collection agency types are quite ordinary people who tend to react with suspicion and hostility themselves. So squeezing money out of people who usually don't want or aren't able to pay is a tough job.

I can summon up a measure of sympathy --at least until the next time one of the so-and-sos calls me on the phone!

Seattle Pioneer

Author: saruchi One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 73315 of 308882
Subject: Re: worstnightmare Date: 5/30/2001 4:42 PM
Well, I tend to agree with Stockbuyer2. Better to use our energy towards learning ways to reach our debt elimination goals than mincing words with worstnightmare. Besides, I think worstnightmare is feeding on getting us riled!

Author: AHOLLYS Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 73413 of 308882
Subject: Re: worstnightmare Date: 5/30/2001 10:21 PM

To be honest I think that worstnighmare could be a valuable addition to the board, IF, the point of view changed. I think that it would be very valubale to havet he interworkings of ( at least one ) a conllections agency. To learn there objecitve and modes of persuale. I just know as a person that workson the phones there has to be a few GREAT stories.

I would like to envite worstnightmare to post input not attacks. I think that he can disagree with out offending. Please give us you insite,becuse I know that the problem's I have are not becuse I am a deatbeat. I do not have any accounts in collection. I however do have debt.

Worstnightmare, Try posting a humor story about the funniest excuse that you have gotten. If you post that I will post one from my field ( computers) that really happend in my center.

Ho-Lo

Author: goldie2000 One star, 50 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 73497 of 308882
Subject: Re: worstnightmare Date: 5/31/2001 9:30 AM
Well said Mangard! I am one of those who comes here to tap into the sage advice of those who have "been there" and I want to thank everyone for sharing their experiences.

Goldie

Author: ishtarastarte Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 73513 of 308882
Subject: Re: worstnightmare Date: 5/31/2001 10:26 AM
I think that it would be very valubale to havet he interworkings of ( at least one ) a conllections agency.

MrPurple is a collection agent and often answers questions on the "dealing with debt collectors" board, and has even poked his head in here a few times. Much more reasonable person to get insight from.

Ishtar

Author: LuluB Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 73539 of 308882
Subject: Re: worstnightmare Date: 5/31/2001 11:22 AM
That must only apply to people who DONT pay their bills

Who would that be? All my bills are paid. So have at me.

Author: LuluB Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 73545 of 308882
Subject: Re: worstnightmare Date: 5/31/2001 11:25 AM
Its difficult not to attack when surrounded by a dozen people in debt to their eyeballs looking for someone to blame. And it COULDNT be their fault

Please name the dozen. I am certainly waiting with baited breath.

Author: demodi Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 73587 of 308882
Subject: Re: worstnightmare Date: 5/31/2001 1:07 PM
Hi all. As the owner of a business that is licensed as a collection agency, I have been reading this thread with great interest. Could I suggest that everyone take a deep breath and relax just a little? There is a lot of name calling and infmammatory language flying back and forth that is not very helpful to anyone. I agree with AHOLLYS that it might be useful to have input from those in the collections industry that might be willing and qualified to provide it.

Here's a story from my early days as a collector that I still chuckle about to this day: In this business it is commonplace to use a "desk name"--an alias. It's a perfectly legal means of protecting the identity of the collector from aggressive and threatening debtors. Let's just say my desk name was Jane Jones. On the day in question, I was somewhat distracted as I pulled up the account to my computer screen of the next person that I was to call regarding the non-payment of their payment plan. I noticed that this debtor (let's call her Cindy Smith) lived in the same state as my mother. I then dialed the phone number and waited for someone to answer. Soon a woman answered the phone and I identified myself and then asked if I could please speak to Cindy Smith. The woman on the other end said that "no Cindy Smith lives here". I then asked if the number I had reached was xxx-xxx-xxxx. The woman replied no. I then apologized for dialing a wrong number and hung up. But as soon as I hung up I realized the voice of the person I had just talked to was vaguely familiar. Then it hit me. When I noticed the debtor lived in the same state as my mother, I'd gone into autopilot and dialed my mother's number instead of the debtor's! Of course I called my mother up and fessed up that the "Jane Jones" that just called her was her own scatterbrained daughter. I suppose this will lend support to the low regard that some here have of those of us in the collection industry-- "Some of those */"^@>* collectors will even call their own mother to squeeze money out of her!"

Author: joycets Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 73589 of 308882
Subject: Re: worstnightmare Date: 5/31/2001 1:10 PM
a Question: is a collector gonna come after me for $4.50?

Author: joycets Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 73591 of 308882
Subject: Re: worstnightmare Date: 5/31/2001 1:12 PM
Oh I know what my other question was........

I'd like to hear from worstnightmare if he ever did this, or Mr.Purple, or whomever......

What happens when you call to collect and the poor guy/gal is dead?

Author: aja91 Two stars, 250 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 73601 of 308882
Subject: Re: worstnightmare Date: 5/31/2001 1:25 PM
I would come after you for 1 cent.

Even though it would cost more than that to mail or call the individual you're collecting from?

Author: aja91 Two stars, 250 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 73615 of 308882
Subject: Re: worstnightmare Date: 5/31/2001 1:46 PM
Generally, one letter & one phone call were spent on accounts under $100. Unless the person promised to pay and then did not in which they would get dunned again for being a repeat liar with no remorse ! LOL

Okay, for $100 this makes sense. But for $0.01? How do you justify that economically? It's a losing transaction even if you collect immediately. There has to be an amount at which it no longer is worth the effort to collect.

Author: sunnybiss Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 73640 of 308882
Subject: Re: worstnightmare Date: 5/31/2001 2:51 PM
Has anyone noticed that almost every post by worstnightmare has 1 recomendation? I bet it was done by PAYyourBILLs...

...ha ha ha...evil little laugh...

Author: ishtarastarte Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 73643 of 308882
Subject: Re: worstnightmare Date: 5/31/2001 3:03 PM
I would come after you for 1 cent

Of course you would. . .

Ishtar

Author: Catleen Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 73644 of 308882
Subject: Re: worstnightmare Date: 5/31/2001 3:03 PM
Prevailing thought is that they are the same person. Just different screen names. Notice that the tone and message is exactly the same? They both appeared about the same time? It is easy enought to log on with different screen names.

Catleen

Author: SeattlePioneer Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 73655 of 308882
Subject: Re: worstnightmare Date: 5/31/2001 3:21 PM
<<. Then it hit me. When I noticed the debtor lived in the same state as my mother, I'd gone into autopilot and dialed my mother's number instead of the debtor's! Of course I called my mother up and fessed up that the "Jane Jones" that just called her was her own scatterbrained daughter. I suppose this will lend support to the low regard that some here have of those of us in the collection industry-- "Some of those */"^@>* collectors will even call their own mother to squeeze money out of her!" >>

Heh, heh!
Too bad she didn't agree to pay.

Seattle Pioneer

Author: cable666 Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 73731 of 308882
Subject: Re: worstnightmare Date: 5/31/2001 6:56 PM
What happens when you call to collect and the poor guy/gal is dead?

It does not stop them. Seriously.

PacBell went after my father after he had the nerve to die before his cell phone contract was up. When my mom told them that he had died and to please cancel the service, they turned their collection efforts on her.

It took her two years and a personal phone call to the president of PacBell to rectify it. Amazing.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (58) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement