No. of Recommendations: 51
"The fact that we are here today to debate raising America 's debt limit is a sign of leadership failure. It is a sign that the US Government cannot pay its own bills. It is a sign that we now depend on ongoing financial assistance from foreign countries to finance our Government's reckless fiscal policies. Increasing America 's debt weakens us domestically and internationally. Leadership means that, 'the buck stops here.' Instead, Washington is shifting the burden of bad choices today onto the backs of our children and grandchildren. America has a debt problem and a failure of leadership. Americans deserve better."

~ Senator Barack H. Obama, March 2006
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 2
Add this to the list:

1. “I pledged to cut the deficit in half by the end of my first term in office.”

2. “Over the next two years, this [stimulus] plan will save or create 3.5 million jobs.”
http://blog.heritage.org/wp-content/uploads/Jobschart-MB.jpg......

3. “…we must have quality, affordable health care for every American. [LOL!] It’s a commitment that’s paid for in part by efficiencies in our system that are long overdue.”

4. “We will invest $15 billion a year to develop technologies like wind power and solar power; advanced biofuels, clean coal, and more fuel-efficient cars and trucks built right here in America.”

http://blog.heritage.org/2013/02/12/morning-bell-obamas-stat...
No. of Recommendations: 1
The problem is, most of America has a 30 minute attention span (TV comedy anyone). Asking them to go back almost 7 years is ancient history. And with the younger generation, its like asking them to listen to music off of a CD.

JLC
No. of Recommendations: 0
Here's the full text of Owebama's remarks in March 2006.

http://www.snopes.com/politics/obama/debtlimit.asp
No. of Recommendations: 7
Rec'd OP as it is indeed worth reading again and again...

...in context.

Context being that at the time of Obama's 2006 speech the USA was 5 years into the GOP deficit binge of

W Bush's Guns ('self-financing' $2 trillion Iraq war) and

Butter (Bush Medicare expansion largest increase in unfunded entitlements in USA history),

"deficits don't matter" Cheney, and

'let's dodge the bipartisan rules that have successfully restrained deficits by passing unpaid-for-tax cuts but cynically sunset them at 10 years out' Speaker Tom Delay,

thereby rapidly wasting away the budget surplus achieved under Clinton,

and setting up the economic disaster coming from

Alan Greenspan's faith that Too Big to Fail Banks would be magically prevented by 'market forces' from creating and fraudulently selling "instruments of mass financial destruction."

All worth reading again and again...

...in context.

But context, for the GOP, is tougher than seeing Russia from Palin's bathroom.

david fb
No. of Recommendations: 25
But context, for the GOP, is tougher than seeing Russia from Palin's bathroom

I'm sorry that we speak impiously of your god, but Bush43 is not President anymore. If you feel that Bush43s spending was so bad (and it was), then you need be several multiples of mad at Obama.

Please wipe up that puddle of spittle at Obama's feet when you leave, it's gross.
Wolverine:

As your rebut NOTHING that I wrote, but merely spat jr. high ad hominem vituperation, I guess I should add this

"...context, for the GOP, is tougher than seeing Russia from Palin's bedroom or coherent argument from Wolverine's desk."

david fb
No. of Recommendations: 31
Rec'd OP as it is indeed worth reading again and again...

...in context.

Context being that at the time of Obama's 2006 speech the USA was 5 years into the GOP deficit binge of

W Bush's Guns ('self-financing' $2 trillion Iraq war) and

Butter (Bush Medicare expansion largest increase in unfunded entitlements in USA history),

"deficits don't matter" Cheney, and

'let's dodge the bipartisan rules that have successfully restrained deficits by passing unpaid-for-tax cuts but cynically sunset them at 10 years out' Speaker Tom Delay,

thereby rapidly wasting away the budget surplus achieved under Clinton,

and setting up the economic disaster coming from

Alan Greenspan's faith that Too Big to Fail Banks would be magically prevented by 'market forces' from creating and fraudulently selling "instruments of mass financial destruction."

All worth reading again and again...

...in context.

But context, for the GOP, is tougher than seeing Russia from Palin's bathroom.

david fb

You'll find little disagreement on this board with anything you've said.

But you left out one important bit of context:

The Senator who publicly denounced Bush's profligate spending is now President, and making Bush look downright frugal.
No. of Recommendations: 2
As your rebut NOTHING that I wrote,

why should he rebut what he's publicly agreeing with?

Or are you under the delusion that we all suffer from the left-Democrat syndrome of "it's morally necessary when our guy does it but totally evil when the other guy does it"?
No. of Recommendations: 9
<America has a debt problem and a failure of leadership. Americans deserve better.">

What are the odds that one will see a video of this on ANY mainstream network news program at any time while our debt remains an issue? Does the phrase slim or none sound like it would fit?

This is what galls me. One can be on either side of a particular argument. Robust debate is healthy when all the points and couterpoints are put on the table. However, there should be some consistancy to the process. If $5-6 Trillion in debt was a sign of failure in 2006, how can $17 Trillion going on $20 in 2013 be a sign of success? The answer is It can't.

If drones were evil when Bush was using that strategy, how can a more than 100% increase in the use of them be a good thing when the new guy is doing it? Personally, this is one area where I give Obama credit. I have absolutely no problem using drones in whatever way needed by those whose job is to defend us. But I have remained consistant as I supported the same strategy when Bush used it too.

I could go on and on across many different important issues. How about the oft repeated line when Obamacare was being created "you will be able to keep your same coverage". Of course, the rules (unknown at the time as in "we have to pass it so we can find out whats inside") have become so onerous that even the CBO estimates that a minimum of 7 million people (plus millions more if you include their dependents) will lose their coverage as their employers opt to no longer provide it. Even medicare gets sold as you will be able to stay with your current doctor (offset by the fine print of "if they continue to accept medicare patients"). The fact that many doctors are not accepting any new or old medicare patients at all was an obvious trend anyone could see coming. Yet we were sold a bag of goods. And the media could so easily point out the crystal clear hypocracies about what was said then and what is true now. Yet they refuse to do so for some obscure reason.

Yes, America does deserve better in so many ways.

BG
For a republic to survive it's needs a robust independent press willing and able to take on whoever is in power.

For most of our country's history we had this but unfortunately no more.

Our nation, our freedom and our way of life is at risk because of this.
For a republic to survive it's needs a robust independent press willing and able to take on whoever is in power. For most of our country's history we had this but unfortunately no more. Our nation, our freedom and our way of life is at risk because of this.

Instead, we get anchors saying that "the nation is riveted" by by-the-minute coverage for five solid hours of a stricken cruiseliner. Were you "riveted" by this "news?" Me, neither.
No. of Recommendations: 15
why should he rebut what he's publicly agreeing with?

That's what these guys don't get. They project their pathology onto others. Libs will defend everything a Dem does regardless of anything. If Obama continues the same policies as Bush, they become strangely silent.

What he/she doesn't get is that I would abolish 95% of the federal gov't if I were in charge. When Bush went in a direction that I approve of (privatizing SS) I applauded. When he went in a direction I oppose (NCLB and Part D) I oppose. With liberals it is non-stop boot licking 24/7/365.

Trying to educate them on this difference is futile.
Instead, we get anchors saying that "the nation is riveted" by by-the-minute coverage for five solid hours of a stricken cruiseliner. Were you "riveted" by this "news?"

I was riveted on Rubio's water bottle.
What are the odds that one will see a video of this on ANY mainstream network news program at any time while our debt remains an issue?

Actually, the odds are quite high. As soon as a Republican is elected President, NBC will doctor the tape to make it show that Republicans are the ones to blame.
If $5-6 Trillion in debt was a sign of failure in 2006, how can $17 Trillion going on $20 in 2013 be a sign of success? The answer is It can't.

Its the same mental illness/thought process when one is asking the President where the jobs are when unemployment tops 5% but you hear crickets chirping when it tops 8%.

JLC
The problem is, most of America has a 30 minute attention span (TV comedy anyone). Asking them to go back almost 7 years is ancient history. And with the younger generation, its like asking them to listen to music off of a CD.

Go back seven years? I can't even remember what I did yesterday.
Instead, we get anchors saying that "the nation is riveted" by by-the-minute coverage for five solid hours of a stricken cruiseliner. Were you "riveted" by this "news?" Me, neither.

I do have to admit that I was "riveted" by today's coverage of that meteor that blew up over Russia, blinding drivers on the expressways and blowing out windows many miles away. It made me catch my breath, and that's not easy to do nowadays.
"
I do have to admit that I was "riveted" by today's coverage of that meteor that blew up over Russia, blinding drivers on the expressways and blowing out windows many miles away. It made me catch my breath, and that's not easy to do nowadays. "

- - - - -

A million square meters of glass blown out....tens of thousands of windows....some doors just blown in, too.....one building blown apart.....

schools wrecked....

The Paul Krugmans will be delighted (or is that de-lighted) that so much 'stimulus' is occurring in Russia...... he's a fan of the breaking windows theory of stimulating the economy...... you know, you go around breaking windows and that is good because it 'stimulates' business...folks have to spend money to repair windows, insurance companies pay off and the money is spent..... (duh!..typical Keynesian lib progressive).... of course, the overall wealth goes down because people have to dig into their savings to pay for it..but heck, to a Keynesian.......taking that 'wealth' and converting it to economic activity is 'good'. Duh!.....

traffic accidents are so horrific and frequent that loads of soviet drivers have 'dash cams'...... and those caught the meteor from many angles..along with security cameras...at least 10 times the hiroshima bomb power.....but of course, no heat......near the ground..it was 10,000 feet up......

t.
Advertisement