Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (14) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: 2gifts Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 121223  
Subject: Re: question on potential 401k rollover/distribu Date: 12/2/2013 10:35 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Would it make a difference if he gets the distribution in 2013 or 2014 ?

I don't think this will make a difference for him. I suspect it will all shake out that he doesn't change jobs til next year, or at least late enough that the distribution will probably be in 2014, but I like the option for him to roll it directly to a Roth and pay the income taxes separately to avoid any tax withholding. I'd even be willing to pay that pittance of tax for him so that he could do this, but I do know that he has enough to be able to handle it.

Did you provide more than half his support for 2013 ?

This is a completely separate question that I also had relative to taxes this year, but I think it works out that he has supported himself since graduation in May, so since he's been living on his own for more than 6 months, I tend to think that he will be claiming himself. I also think it's probably just a bit cleaner to have him do that as his taxes will already be complicated enough since he'll file part-year resident in 2 different states.

Now the other child is a different story. She didn't start her job until September, and she is still living at home, so I have provided more than half of her support in 2013, and expect I will be able to claim her as a dependent this year.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (14) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Managing Your Wealth
Our own TMFHockeypop from Rule Your Retirement fame on the TV show Managing Your Wealth.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Should You Be an Index Investor?
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement