Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 2
Would like to know if a foreclosed house is sold for an amount less than the amount owed on the mortgage, will the owner receive a 1099 for the difference between the sale and the amount owed the bank who holds the mortgage?

Maybe yes, maybe no. The real question is whether there's taxable forgiveness of debt. Here's a link to the IRS "homepage" regarding the issue and special legislation:,,id=179414,00.html

This person is going to declare bankruptcy with the hope she will not be taxed on the difference and that it will not be counted as income.

On the personal relationships front, the forgiveness of debt explanation may have nothing to do with why this person is filing for bankruptcy. Something sounds off to me. She seems to know an awful lot about an arcane area of tax law to have missed the special provisions enacted as a reaction to the foreclosure crisis.

Rule Your Retirement Home Fool
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.