UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (13) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: StockGoddess Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 881846  
Subject: Would you fly standing to save money? Date: 11/12/2012 1:00 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Airline CEO states that "Seatbelts are useless in an airplane crash" and advocates creating airplanes where you stand for the entire flight:

http://www.waff.com/story/20070682/airline-ceo-seatbelts-don......

JUST in case you didn't already feel enough like a sardine in a can...

I can't see Grandma standing there holding a strap during turbulance, either.
Print the post Back To Top
Author: MetroChick Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 868694 of 881846
Subject: Re: Would you fly standing to save money? Date: 11/12/2012 1:12 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 4
No, but I'd pay extra for a "quiet" and young-children-less flight.

Author: Ringfinger Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 868695 of 881846
Subject: Re: Would you fly standing to save money? Date: 11/12/2012 1:15 PM
That's way too uncomfortable!

Author: Rael137 Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 868696 of 881846
Subject: Re: Would you fly standing to save money? Date: 11/12/2012 1:28 PM
Airline CEO states that "Seatbelts are useless in an airplane crash"

That's interesting. I have been on a couple flights with bad turbulence and sudden drops; seat belts certainly helped in those cases. The people walking in the aisle got thrown around a bit. I'd sure bet those situations happen more frequently than an outright crash, so seatbelts are still a good idea.

Then again this is the same airline that considered charging to use the onboard toilet, so it shouldn't be a surprise.

Author: sissylue Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 868699 of 881846
Subject: Re: Would you fly standing to save money? Date: 11/12/2012 1:41 PM
Recommendations: 3
Absolutely not. Think about it - aside from possible turbulance and safety issues, there would be the physical fatigue/discomfort issue. If the flying time is short enough to make that part of it do-able, it is probably short enough that you would be better off time-wise (because remember with flying it's not the time that is spent in the air but time spent with security and just getting to the airport) and money-wise to simply drive. If the time in the air is long enough to make it worthwhile it is probably too long to stand.

Author: vkg Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 868700 of 881846
Subject: Re: Would you fly standing to save money? Date: 11/12/2012 1:51 PM
No, and seat belts are only for crashes.

Having been on one flight where the flight attendant crawled to the nearest empty seat. The next announcement was "Place your seats in an upright position and put tray table away. Flight attendants are to remain where they are."

Author: tconi Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 868701 of 881846
Subject: Re: Would you fly standing to save money? Date: 11/12/2012 1:59 PM
Recommendations: 1
If the flying time is short enough to make that part of it do-able, it is probably short enough that you would be better off time-wise (because remember with flying it's not the time that is spent in the air but time spent with security and just getting to the airport) and money-wise to simply drive.

RyanAir services Europe.
MANY of their flights are little hoppers frm UK to western EU, where driving is not really an option.

These are short flight, yes, but even on a short flight I still want to sit.
While i would be OK without a seat, i do not want to stand.
ANd whoever mentioned *Grandma* standing - every low budget EU flight on which I have been (Easyjet/Ryanair,Flybe) has boarded On STairs from the tarmac - so i do not know how/if they even board passengers with mobility issues.

peace & budget air
t

Author: sissylue Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 868703 of 881846
Subject: Re: Would you fly standing to save money? Date: 11/12/2012 2:15 PM
Recommendations: 2
Ah - RyanAir. I didn't see that part since I didn't read what must be the post which asked the question. But yeah RyanAir - the airline that can make the chunnel look attractive to a claustrophobic.

Author: barneybetty Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 868704 of 881846
Subject: Re: Would you fly standing to save money? Date: 11/12/2012 3:38 PM
No.

Seat belts are not only for crashes. I have about 1.3m butt in seat flight miles after having a "different place anywhere in the world every week" job for 10 years.

Turbulence can be scary stuff. I don't fly without buckling the seat belt. Even with the seat belt sign off.

If you're wondering about the frequency of turbulence injuring someone, monitor this site for a week or so:

http://avherald.com/

Accident: Westjet B737 near Calgary on Nov 5th 2012, turbulence injures flight attendant

Some days/weeks it's very frequent.

I just wouldn't take the chance.

BB

Author: Jennlee222 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 868707 of 881846
Subject: Re: Would you fly standing to save money? Date: 11/13/2012 7:26 AM
I can't see people standing on flights. Even super short flights are like an hour or two if you include the boarding and exiting time. Then add on possible runway delays, etc, and that's the potential to be a really long time to stand in one position, and through plane movements and turbulence it seems like it would be dangerous.

The next solution they come up with will be to sedate passengers and then just pile them up like cordwood. Wouldn't that be an efficient use of space?

Author: ChiliChild Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 868708 of 881846
Subject: Re: Would you fly standing to save money? Date: 11/13/2012 9:44 AM
Recommendations: 5
The next solution they come up with will be to sedate passengers and then just pile them up like cordwood. Wouldn't that be an efficient use of space?

On flights, particularly long ones, with screaming kids, I would more than welcome a nice potent sedative. At that point I probably wouldn't object to being stacked like cord wood.

Chili

Author: PipneyJane Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 868718 of 881846
Subject: Re: Would you fly standing to save money? Date: 11/14/2012 9:04 AM
That story has been doing the rounds for a long time. Ryan Air's CEO, Michael O'Leary, believes any publicity is good publicity so will mouth off with his "next big idea" at any opportunity. Charging to use the toilets on flights was another of his.

Would he really introduce standing room only on flights if it wasn't illegal and against Civil Aviation Authority rules? Who knows.

- Pam (What's the difference between O'Leary and a rat? There are some things rats won't do.)

Author: bmillz Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 868803 of 881846
Subject: Re: Would you fly standing to save money? Date: 11/17/2012 9:14 PM
I would be fine with the standing part on shorter flights. And for me that would be anything less than 2 hrs.

But I think the hardest part would be my height. The overhead bins make it so the I have to be hunched over getting to/from my seat. There's no way that would work for more than a few minutes.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (13) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement