Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
Would you please be so kind as to show me where in Pub 590 Chapter 2 it states that I can roll a IRA/401k directly into a Roth without paying taxes on the rollover

Rollovers are taxed. If you were going to take a distribution that is taxable and invest it, then a conversion to a ROTH has the advantage of the potential for future income being tax free.

ROTH IRAs also don't have required minimum distributions.

I can contribute to a Roth and take anything more than the original priciple back out before the 5 year time period without paying taxes on the interest/dividends?

The five year period is from the time the IRA owner established their first ROTH IRA. It is not for every conversion or contribution. You can establish a ROTH of any size now to start the clock.
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.