No. of Recommendations: 42
I woke up yesterday thinking it would be a simple day: I had to finish an interview paper for my yearbook class, and do a project with a friend for Geometry.

At about 11:00 I had done most of the things I needed to do at home and was preparing for my friend to come over.

I will go a little off track...

The last two Tuesdays I worked at the movie theatre getting “trained in.”

I guess the movie theatre determined I was ready to start working and scheduled me to work on Monday, Presidents Day.

Back to where we started…

At about 11:10 yesterday I got a call from the ******* Cinema. The manager told me I was scheduled for that day and asked me if I knew. No.

He then asked me if I could come in and work today.

I told him that I couldn't, because a friend was coming over and we had to finish project for school. There goes Homer Simpson duh!

My dad asked who it was and I told him it was the movie theatre, he then asked me what they needed, and I told him that I was supposed to work today, but didn't know where the schedule was, and turned down an offer from my manager to come in and work.

I swear I thought my dad either had a heart attack or was just unconscious from surprise.

He told me that turning down work was the thing that I would get fired for.

So then I called back my manager and asked him if it was okay if I got there at 11:30, that would be fine he said.

Phew!

While my dad drove me to the movie theatre I was thinking that I would be there and, like the last two Tuesdays, would be serving maybe… 10 people every other hour.

Huh, yeah right.

See when I was working before, on a Tuesday, not very many people came in at all, maybe a few old people coming in or some middle aged married people getting away from there kids.

But, yesterday was a holiday.

While I worked, yesterday, there were three main times when people came to see the movies.

And wow did they come.

I worked for a total of six hours -- from 11:30 to 5:30.

When the people came they came about a hundred at a time.

I'll bet I made at least 200 tubs of popcorn, 100 “icees” and about 25 pretzel or nachos.

That may sound easy to a seasoned worker at a movie theatre but let me say this: I didn't know how to do the popcorn or the icees, heck I didn't even know where the pretzels were.

I never really understood why my dad was tired everyday when he got home, I mean: I sleep two hours less then he does, wake up only 30 minutes after he does (at 5:30 :-( ), and get home from school only two hours before he does. And I'm never tired when I get home.

Well, after working for six hours I could hardly keep my eyes open on the way home.

-Mike
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement