UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (33) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: rfmjbs Two stars, 250 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 74759  
Subject: Re: Is $1 million enough? Date: 5/14/2007 9:38 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Wow. California actually has something CHEAPER than the rest of the country? I'm shocked by those numbers, they're amazing. I can't imagine it. :-) I've never seen a private family policy under $500 a month.

So at 1 physical a year for a couple of kids plus yourselves at say $150/visit plus say $500 total in routine labs (cholesterol, thyroid, blood sugar, school drug tests for sports, pap smears, etc.) www.healthcheckusa.com has amazingly cheap prices for labs for people paying out of pocket, use discount code 12345
that's around $3400 out of pocket for routine stuff plus insurance premiums.

Vaccines at the health department are usually free or a token fee for kids, if you vaccinate.

Dental cleanings and checkups 2x a year for 4 plus one set of xrays each for $100/cleaning and $35/xray is around $940.

So minimum routine out of pocket for medical care is under $4500 for a family of 4. That's still a good chunk of budget, but much better than $12K in just premiums!

Your mileage may vary on individual office visit costs, I'm using Austin, TX and Charlottesville, VA numbers, but even in those two places you can negotiate cash prices and comparison shop.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (33) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

The Retire Early Home Page
Discussion on accelerating retirement day.
2013 Feste Award Voting Begins!
Who will win the 2013 Feste Award? Vote now for the Fool that most exemplifies the Fool Community mission of Learning Together!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Real Estate Investment Trusts

Roosting Chickens: The CWH Saga
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement