Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (8) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: polarg Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 7313  
Subject: Wow, I Feel Good Date: 1/26/2005 1:43 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 31
So, a month ago I ran into this strange guy on the train who was very chatty and in the course of my polite and minimal involvement in the conversation, he told me about a little girl (7 y.o.) who is very sick in Children's Hospital. He was watching me knit and asked if I would make a hat for her and that her favorite colors were purple, pink, and blue. I told him that I would (he seemed very suprised) and he told me her name and I took the information and then we parted ways.

I made her a hat using the Berroco Plush yarn (it knits up super soft like fleece) and dropped it off at the hospital today in a little gift bag and included a note for her parents telling them who I was, what the hat was made out of, and included my business card, if they wanted to talk to me (I was trying to minimize the weirdness-factor of having their child receive a gift from a perfect stranger). I just received this email from her mom:

hello jennifer, today we recieved the hat that you knitted for emily. it was so very thoughtfull of you to think of a complete stranger and do something kind to brighten their day. and you did, emily has not taken the hat off yet. i just snuck and took it off of her because she is sound asleep and sweating. she is going to the operating room very very early in the morning and i wouldnt want anything to happen to it as i know she would be very very upset. the card with the kitten on it was perfect as well, kittens are her favorite animal. i promised her when she is all better she can get one. we had one when we lived in cali but had to leave her their when we moved here.emily is not doing so well and the hat really cheered her. please feel free to visit her care page that we have made her. i am not sure of the address off hand but i will forward you an invite .it has pictures of her .thank you again for your kindness, if the world were filled with more people like you a ! lot more people would be smiling! health,love and happiness,Anne & Emily
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post Back To Top
Author: eyecolts Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 4146 of 7313
Subject: Re: Wow, I Feel Good Date: 1/26/2005 11:31 AM
Recommendations: 0
What a fabulous story -- we've recently been doing craft projects for others through our Girl Scout troop -- I hope you don't mind if I share your story with my girls -- what a kind thing to have done, and how lovely of the mom to have thanked you..

Author: aamandarys Two stars, 250 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 4147 of 7313
Subject: Re: Wow, I Feel Good Date: 1/26/2005 11:37 AM
What a thoughtful thing to do. I applaud you for actually doing it instead of just thinking about it. It was lovely of the mom to send you a note, too.

Keep feeling good! You deserve it.

Amanda

Author: Sparkle13 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 4156 of 7313
Subject: Re: Wow, I Feel Good Date: 1/27/2005 3:59 PM
Recommendations: 1
polarg,
That is a great story, and you did a great thing. Thanks for sharing.
Stacie

Author: PipneyJane Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 4161 of 7313
Subject: Re: Wow, I Feel Good Date: 1/31/2005 12:11 PM
Jenn, that is a lovely story. Bless you.

- Pam

Author: Stockbuyer2 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 4163 of 7313
Subject: Re: Wow, I Feel Good Date: 1/31/2005 9:24 PM
I think you did a wonderful thing. I also think the stranger on the train did a wonderful thing, also. It's great to know that people like you two are out there.

Stockbuyer2

Author: jezebel14 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 4166 of 7313
Subject: Re: Wow, I Feel Good Date: 2/1/2005 10:14 AM
It is nice to think you sent some positive energy their way, sounds like it was very appreciated.

What was the stranger's relationship to the sick girl?

Jez

Author: polarg Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 4167 of 7313
Subject: Re: Wow, I Feel Good Date: 2/1/2005 11:18 AM
Recommendations: 4
It is nice to think you sent some positive energy their way, sounds like it was very appreciated.

What was the stranger's relationship to the sick girl?

Jez

Well, her father is in Afganistan w/the Marines and they have been very short of $$ with her extended stays in the hopital, and he (the stranger I met on the train) has been part of the group helping to raise money for her care. Additionally, he is a regular blood donor for her transfusions. From what he told me, he got involved because his boss was involved with the fund raising.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (8) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement