UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (8) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: rael4mozo Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 17930  
Subject: Re: My Car Was Stolen -- Now What? Date: 10/13/2004 4:31 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2
Wow--

Let's hope that this Halloween your car doesn't get an RIP in front of it and that your four-wheeled friend is returned home promptly (heck--I'll bet you'd even settle for 1/4 tank of gas in it at this point!)

But, to your questions --

"Was I right in calling my insurance company right away?"

Since you knew you only had liability coverage on the Honda, calling GEICO seems like it should have no relevence in the the present or in the future. However, if the hoodlums were to find your insurance info (was that in the glovebox or the visor?) and try to call in a fraudulant claim using your information, then at least GEICO should know to look a bit deeper into it. Should you purchase a newer car to <sniff> replace your car, take a closer look at the Comp coverage. BTW, how many miles were on the car? If it were a Foolishly high-miler, then GEICO may have only offered you a smaller settlement. Same goes if it had existing damage, less options, etc, so maybe in the long run, Comp simply wasn't worth having on it.....

"How long should I wait before giving up hope of recovery?"

Hondas are among the most popular stolen cars out there, and Accords are among the most stolen Hondas -- double ouch. Many of those that are stolen usually wind up in those aforementioned "chop-shops". As there's no insurance settlement involved, anything over 72 hours for a grieving period would IMFO be time wasted.

"Do kids take cares to chop shops, or was this a probably a professional job?"

I guess the answer to that question would be best answered by the thieves themselves. Kids are sometimes employed to go out and scope for certain makes/models and then relay the info and locations to the shops, who then send out the "Gone-in-60-seconds" crew to take away your baby. Car theft and chop shops are big, big business. Your Honda is worth more disaasembled that it is put together.

"Is there any workaround to the whole liability thing or should I just kiss goodbye any chance of getting a KBB-valued check made out to me from Geico?"

No ticky, no washy. No coverage, no KBB check. If there's a way around that, I don't want to know. Then again, I work in insurance, so maybe you can pass that little nugget along to me (wink wink, nudge nudge)

Take this post as a FWIW, and I hope that your Honda makes a prompt return from the fools who took it.

All the Foolish Best!

R4M

Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (8) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Kate Spade's Wild Ride
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement