UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (9) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: synec One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 127802  
Subject: Re: Water heaters Date: 3/18/2000 10:21 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Wow.

Prompted by responses in this thread, I just went and found the very long thread on tankless water heaters that was started with cmonkey's question:
http://boards.fool.com/Message.asp?id=1040003001893000&sort=id

Very cool info. I'm going to toddle over to Home Depot today and check these things out.

We just bought an old house with an old oil burner and no water heater tank. The hot water comes directly off the boiler and is mixed with cold water (in proportions that we determine by adjusting a spigot near the boiler). This method of getting hot water sucks. When the heat is on, the water is scalding. When it's not on, the water is lukewarm. Back-to-back showers invariably result in not enough hot water for the second person.

Anyway, we've been getting estimates from plumbers on water heaters. (The prices: ouch!) Now, I think I want to look into these tankless systems.

I keep wondering whether I should just suck it up and replace the whole heating system--get a new, more efficient burner along with whatever new hot water system I choose. (Our old burner is pretty well-maintained. It has an efficiency rating of 77.5; but our service guy says the new burners are typically 10 points higher than that.) I was hoping to hold out with the old burner for 2-4 more years; we'd wipe out our savings right now, if we did the full replacement.

Problem with these tankless heaters is that we don't have a gas line in our house. Gas is available in this area, but the previous owners (who had the house for 35 years) never used gas for anything. I assume the electric ones are a lot less efficient.

Thoughts?

s.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (9) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Useful Resources
Our Home Center has all you need to make buying and owning a home a great experience. Get or refinance a mortgage and much more!
Buying/Selling a Home FAQ

Mortgage Professor
Offsite resource for mortgage questions.
Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Economic Implications of Cuba
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement