UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (306) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: LaraAmber Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 308482  
Subject: Re: Bankrupt or try to 'gut it out'? Date: 11/5/2012 9:58 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
Wow the thread just exploded over the weekend. I haven't even read through it all yet.

The forum has helped me to understand and give her cleaning business a chance (although some still hold my view -- a '9-5 first', THEN work your cleaning business - the 9-5 would bring in a steady income rather than a 'well . . . lets see how many cleaning jobs we can get these week, especially since I have only passed out about 200 business cards and will not risk posting in the local newspaper or other venues).

As someone who has her house cleaned, I wouldn't hire a housecleane who came into my house in the evening or weekends. That's my time to be home. Cleaning service plus part-time weekend/evening job when you are home would work.

We all know that 'groceries' are expensive and a 'mysterious' dark hole in our budget. This morning while I was grazing I came across Yoplait Yogurt, YoPlait Trix yogurt and Dannon Danimals - Smoothie. They are a six pack of 3.1 oz per bottles. The Trix Yoplait come in little 3 oz cups. The regular Yoplait at least comes in a 6 oz cup.

Okay there are several fronts for tackling food wastage and over paying.

1. Plan your dinners for the next week before you go to the grocery store. Tired of having the same thing every night? Start pulling out easy crock pot recipes and take responsibility for at least one dinner a week.
2. Talk to your wife (nicely) about store brands. Ask her to just try the store brand of at least one product every trip. In some cases she will switch, in others there really is a taste difference. Safeway Select is usually pretty good.
3. Draw up a list of items you guys go through fastest. See if a friend can take you to Costco so you can price compare and see if a membership would save you money.
4. Tell the kids that "upgrades" to fancy versions of whatever come out of their allowance. They want the Trix yogurt instead of plain? They pay for it.
5. Clean out the refrigerator and pantry and organize it. You'd have a lot less waste and repeated items with a well organize pantry and kitchen. That also means everyone in the family is responsible for putting things back in their proper place.
6. Brush up on your cooking skills. If you whip up a batch of waffles on Saturday morning and put them in the fridge, the kids can pop them in the toaster for several weekdays for breakfast instead of eating Eggos. (Just an example).

Lara Amber
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (306) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

TMF Credit Center
The Motley Fool Credit Center arms you with real tools and simple messages, that will help you in every credit situation.
Post of the Day:
Berkshire Hathaway

Starting a Small Business
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement