Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: alstroemeria Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 2373  
Subject: Re: My summer vacation Date: 8/8/2012 10:46 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Wow, you do a lot of driving!

Yeah, this is a particularly long trip in distance as well as time--about 6 months. I wish we could leave earlier and slow it down, add some in-between stops to shorten driving days, but that would only be possible if my husband retires after fall semester...I've told him that's fine with me. You know, I think I'll tweak my plan, shortening some stays and adding some in-between stops anyway. Thanks for making me see this!!

ten years age when we went we slid right into Glacier (and Yellowstone!) without a reservation. Yellowstone was the day before July 4th weekend, and we got in (admittedly the next to last spot), and Glacier, if memory serves, was easy.

Cool! We arrived at Yellowstone sans reservations 4 years ago. IIRC it was mid to late June. The night before, we camped in a Walmart parking lot in Cody WY along with 1-2 dozen other RVs--never seen the like before or since--and were the 2nd or 3rd to get out in the morning. When we got to Yellowstone, there was one spot available for a few days in one campground, and another for the following few days in another CG. It worked out, but at the time I felt lucky...can I continue to count on good luck?!

Oh! Flashback to my cross-country tent-camping trip w/my boyfriend in May to September of 1972(!). We arrived at Yellowstone w/out reservations and had to spend the first night in an open field off in some wilderness area of the park...ALONE (no other campers)...a hiker had been killed by a grizzly just a week or two before(!)...I was terrified when I needed to pee before turning in just after sundown, walking maybe 100 yards alone with my flashlight, hearing or imagining scuffling and sniffing, shiny animal eyes...perhaps it's that memory that keeps me making reservations!!

We're more "lopers", do about 3-4 hours and camp, repeat, repeat, repeat.

I would like to do this, but I suspect we need to pay more attention to cost than you do, which is why we seldom camp in private CGs. I try to keep average daily site expense to $15, but it was a bit over $18 this trip despite more free camping than usual. Prices are up, and the pvt CG we used for a whole week near my art class was $43/night. My experience is that in general, public campgrounds tend to fill up earlier than private ones. I had no reservations for the last week of this summer's trip. We were lucky to get a site at Lake Powhatan Recreation Area near Asheville NC the last week in July. And there were only a few available sites with electricity at Cumberland Gap, although we did arrive there on a Friday, something I try to avoid (I have to make another pass through my itinerary to eliminate most/all Friday/Saturday arrivals.)

We'd both prefer driving 3-4 hours instead of 5+. My back aches after 2-3 hrs in the front seat, even as a passenger, and I need to switch to reclining with pillows in the dinette (I wear the seatbelt), where I read and miss most of the en-route scenery. On the other hand, we don't like to make & break camp every 2-3 days either, not on a long trip.

Thank you very much for your comments.

I'd love to see more posts about this...I feel a poll coming on!
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement