Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (1) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: JACKCALI Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 294  
Subject: Wrigley Mess! Date: 11/3/2008 3:41 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Hi.. I think I'm in a bit of a wrigley mess and need to get untangled...

I think I now (thanks to fool.com) 'get' the retirement challenge as far as I have to do something.. but I need to untangle this mess I've made.

OK.. so, Im 38, married man (to a 24yr old). 3 kids (13,12 and a newborn). Decent job making about $150K. 401K that I max, but company doesnt meet federal qualifying? so I cant put the full amount in? (if that makes sense). But I have about $80K in there..

I do own a house.

Savings: Liquid about $75K in a silly Wells Fargo savings account earning poor interest (that cant be good can it).
$2000 each in 12 and 13 yr old savings accounts (put in $50 a month). Im worried about a strict 'school' savings in case they (for whatever reason) dont pursue college? (even though I'll die pushing them)..
$10,000 in mutual fund. Vanguard Index 500.. but not adding to it monthly..

I guess my question is: I'd like to take the majority of the savings and put it somewhere to earn the interest I'll need for retirement. Im guessing because of my age, I'll need better than 7-9%.. so does that count out mutual funds and push me closer to stocks? Fool.com recommendations? And then the kids' $50 each a month.. is that enough? where should it go for them if i'm worried about the 'non' college issue?

Im hoping for a simple.. "take all money and diversify into X, Y and Z. and then add X dollars into each every month....."

Thank you..
JACK
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (1) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Economic Implications of Cuba
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement