Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: dlbuffy Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 4867  
Subject: Writing a movie? Date: 7/27/2004 11:10 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Hey all,
I was just about headed off to bed when I decided this was too important to wait till tomorrow.

Any ideas on how far a movie idea has to be developed before you start marketing it around? See the problem is not coming up with the creative ideas and storylines. The problem is fleshing out the characters and writting all that dialog and stuff.

Say you had this much of an idea. (Not one of my real ideas...)

Uhmmm,
Quiet character that lives in a suburb.
He likes to hike around some of the undeveloped areas around his suburb.

One day he notices a neighbor headed off on one of the trails. He takes off after him to catch up.

When he catches up the neighbor is talking to a bunch of foriegners back in the woods. They all see him and the neighbor heads over to him. They all quickly leave.

More and more things happen to where the guy becomes convinced that there is actually a 'cell' in his neighborhood.

No one believes him.

Cops start to get reports of stuff that he is supposedly doing, but he is innocent. They start to harass him. He notices that he is being followed and can't figure out if it is cops or neighbors.

Evenutally there is a climax where he manages to hook up with a rogue CIA agent who was kicked out for believing in these suburb cells but never had any proof. The climax happens during a .... democratic national convention where the explosives are actually detonated away from the target and just looks like part of the fireworks.

So there is a story line. (Granted it's a little contrived 'cause I did it on the spot.) But, how much to you have to have to get the movie shopped around? Would I have to have all the nitty gritty of the guy having an argument with the HOA when they don't believe him and all that little dialog and stuff about..."Shirley watched as John pulled into the nieghborhood, you could see that she was disappointed. After ten years of living alone he was bound to get a little crazy, but this was scary. Everytime he drove out of the neighborhood, she found herself wishing it was for good."

I tried searching for some information on the board but came up empty. I currently have four movie ideas and one book idea, but when I start getting into the fine details, I find I don't have the patience or skill.

Thanks
Buffy (who wants Gwen to star in his movie...)
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Post of the Day:
Apple

Apple and Ninety Years Ago
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement