UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (34) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: Rightime Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 1947221  
Subject: WSJ California Date: 12/8/2012 5:44 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 53

The Wall Street Journal among others reports that California lead the nation in job creation:

With all the Caliphornia bashing that goes on the PA, it might be a change to sample that actual facts about california.

California contributed more than 15 percent of the nation’s new jobs between October 2011 and October 2012 - adding more jobs in 12 months than Texas and the rest of the other top-10 fastest-growing states combined -

Lots of breitbart chatter how feet are pattering out of the State to avoid... mmmh? employment? Well, let those feet go.

And according to the Wall Street Journal:
California attracts more venture capital investment than all other 49 states combined

So much for the high tax argument from the conservative left.

http://www.bizjournals.com/sacramento/blog/sanford-nax/2012/...

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000087239639044450850457759...

As California Goes, So Goes the Nation.
Print the post Back To Top
Author: JoshRandall Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1843320 of 1947221
Subject: Re: WSJ California Date: 12/9/2012 10:10 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
As California Goes, So Goes the Nation.

Yeehaw! Bankruptcy, moral decay and free stuff to illegal aliens here we come!

http://boards.fool.com/taxes-dont-matter-ca-learns-hard-less...

Author: CCinOC Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1843352 of 1947221
Subject: Re: WSJ California Date: 12/9/2012 12:02 PM
Recommendations: 4
Quoted: California attracts more venture capital investment than all other 49 states combined.

For libruls who won't read a link from RECF, here's the relevant portion:

Ninety-nine percent of those investors live out of state, make their investments, likely get matching CA and Fed dollars, cash out, and pay ZERO taxes to California!

My two friends do that!...set up new ventures, work with them for a few years not taking any salary from them (and having to pay CA taxes)...get their stock options, cash out, and pay not a dime in CA...then 2 years later, the ventures may or may not still be in business....but they have cashed out.......and in most cases, the manufacturing is done in China and the 'venture' has only a CA address but no reportable income there!.....that part is moved to a low tax state.....

It's a great place for start ups...and once you start it up, you outsource manufacturing to China, outsource your data needs elsewhere...and have a skeleton crew in CA.

Government is like watching whack-a-mole being played. American enterprise has pure capitalism in its DNA. Business leaders are always a step ahead of ham-handed strategies by libruls to legislate the world to be the nanny state they so dearly love. Never works. Anywhere.

Author: CCinOC Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1843355 of 1947221
Subject: Re: WSJ California Date: 12/9/2012 12:14 PM
The practical reality is, California is going bankrupt.

California, increasingly pulled down by its unsustainable social welfare system, heavy legislative and regulatory burden and exploding Third World population, is going bankrupt – one city at a time, it seems. The latest city to go belly up is San Bernardino. With more than $1 billion in debt, California’s San Bernardino filed for bankruptcy on Wednesday. The city, which is the third in the state to go bankrupt in five weeks, blames its economic catastrophe on the 2007 housing crash.
The bankruptcy filing states that the city has between 10,001 and 25,000 creditors and owes “more than $1 billion.” It disclosed a 30 percent shortfall in the city’s budget – $46 million. San Bernardino is California’s third city to file for bankruptcy protection in the past two months, following Stockton and Mammoth Lakes.

More at: http://southernnationalist.com/blog/2012/08/02/third-world-c...

Next up: Atwater, Bell, Compton, Los Angeles, San Diego, San Francisco, San Jose

Most significant cause of fiscal instability: union pensions.

http://video.foxnews.com/v/1708683237001/how-many-us-cities-...

http://globalpublicsquare.blogs.cnn.com/2012/07/20/why-u-s-c...

Yet the goofuses in California elected yet another Democrat as Governor. Therefore, I care not what happens to California...and I live here. When it gets intolerable, I'll do what everyone with half a brain will do: move.

Author: Gingko100 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1843361 of 1947221
Subject: Re: WSJ California Date: 12/9/2012 12:40 PM
Many on the Fool Boards seem so blinded by their visceral dislike of the politics of my state, that they ignore the fact that we are the single biggest part of the American economy. And as goes CA so goes the nation. If one wants CA to do badly and fail, one is rooting for a national recession. We are too large a contributor to the fundamental structure of the US economy to ignore what happens here.

I have noticed a substantial economic improvement here over the past year. Both in my industry (construction/commercial development) and among people outside my field. It definitely feels like things are starting to pick up again, which is great.

Author: jakalant Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1843363 of 1947221
Subject: Re: WSJ California Date: 12/9/2012 12:43 PM
Recommendations: 0
Newsom 2016, if not Hillary.

Author: Gingko100 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1843364 of 1947221
Subject: Re: WSJ California Date: 12/9/2012 12:44 PM
<i<>When it gets intolerable, I'll do what everyone with half a brain will do: move.
I often wonder about this. You seem to hate this state, yet you are still here. There are plenty of other places to live, and I would think that you would have voted with your feet long ago - especially in light of the recession's impact on the housing/real estate industry.

Me, I agree our politics are dysfunctional, yet I love living in CA and have no plans to move ever. The Bay Area has been very good to me both personally and financially, and I love living here. I pay more taxes than most people in CA, but it's still a relatively unimportant part of the entire picture of my life - both fiscal and personal.

Author: Rightime Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1843366 of 1947221
Subject: Re: WSJ California Date: 12/9/2012 12:55 PM
Recommendations: 2

Ninety-nine percent of those investors live out of state, make their investments, likely get matching CA and Fed dollars, cash out, and pay ZERO taxes to California!

More Repubnik opiated mythology. First there's no way to track such numbers in that most all venture capital is invested in private held startups and not in large joint stock companies. It would be impossible to have any real "data" that 99% of the investors live out of state and what kind of taxes they pay.
Second, California represents the highest taxpayers in the country. The fiscal cliff would effect californians far more than the rest of the nation precisely because of the large numbers of multimillionaires that live in the state.

The facts don't matter to the GOBers mythology club. They'll go on and on about how taxes create deficits OR how gay couples destroy heterosexual families OR how Republican controlled legislatures are fiscally conservative; trying to present evidence is like trying to teach algebra to a tapeworm.

Author: paralwaysgood Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1843370 of 1947221
Subject: Re: WSJ California Date: 12/9/2012 1:20 PM
Not only is the weather great, California is the most beautiful state in the union, with the greatest geographical diversity. One reason why the great innovations of the past half-century or so were hatched in California.

I'm proud to be from California. I grew up in Palo Alto, California, the center of west coast liberal thought. California is the greatest. People who invest in new California businesses and hire illegal aliens only to cash out later to offshore businesses to China are just greedy, and miss out on the weather.

Hey Randall, name a state of the union not in moral decay. By your standards, they are all in decay. People walking around in PJs. Maybe in California you have less chance of being assaulted for having unconventional beliefs. Funny how unconventional beliefs and innovation go hand in hand.

One thing, though. L.A. sucks. First thing you learn growing up in northern California.

Author: telegraph Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1843376 of 1947221
Subject: Re: WSJ California Date: 12/9/2012 1:51 PM
Recommendations: 3
"Not only is the weather great, California is the most beautiful state in the union, with the greatest geographical diversity. One reason why the great innovations of the past half-century or so were hatched in California."

Yeah...got live volcanoes....

Home of the megaquake that will take down half of the Bay area when it happens....

You can't get over the passes half the months over the winter without chains...if it all....

Isn't death valley in CA.....? heh heh....

Southern CA running out of clean land....the salt is infusing into the land there - won't be growing much.

Cities - going bankrupt one by one.....

State - already essentially bankrupt....

you keep voting yourself more goodies and you can't afford them.

I'd say CA is a disaster waiting to happen.....financially, and geologically.....

t.

Author: sano Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1843381 of 1947221
Subject: Re: WSJ California Date: 12/9/2012 2:30 PM
Government is like watching whack-a-mole being played. American enterprise has pure capitalism in its DNA. Business leaders are always a step ahead of ham-handed strategies by libruls to legislate the world to be the nanny state they so dearly love. Never works. Anywhere.

I just heard an interview with a Texas politician discussing the tax incentives they have been giving to corporations to lure them to Texas.

He said that, after years of competing for these companies - like Apple - he realizes that the Texas goverment agencies are outgunned by corporate legal departments, and are tiring of being lied to and played by the big companies.

Playing state against state, nation against nation predatory capitalism is slowly but surely being recognized for the problems it vreates.

Revel in it if that blows yer skirt up, but it's nothing to be proud of.

Author: sano Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1843383 of 1947221
Subject: Re: WSJ California Date: 12/9/2012 2:33 PM
The practical reality is, California is going bankrupt.

The hilarious reality is that Orange County - "The Most Republican County in America" - led the way, and is still the undisputed title holder of the largest municipal bankruptcy in the history of these United States of America.

Author: Rightime Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1843386 of 1947221
Subject: Re: WSJ California Date: 12/9/2012 2:45 PM

I'd say CA is a disaster waiting to happen.....financially, and geologically.....

You're not paying attention to the realities. California's economy will grow twice the national rate in the coming year.

Author: AngelMay Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1843389 of 1947221
Subject: Re: WSJ California Date: 12/9/2012 2:55 PM

You're not paying attention to the realities. California's economy will grow twice the national rate in the coming year.

-------------

As I posted on my own board some days ago.... California must have SOMEthing going for it. Housing prices have risen in my county by 11% this year.

And saw on news the other night that a house in the bay area - nothing special and not very big - was priced at just over $800,000. They held an open house for it and had more than 200 people come through and over 20 offers into the $900,000 range. They expect it to sell for about a million dollars.

This does not, to me, sound like a place that everyone is leaving. Just the contrary.

AM

Author: sano Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1843395 of 1947221
Subject: Re: WSJ California Date: 12/9/2012 3:21 PM

All true, and it's even worse than you imagine. Tell your friends to stay away, and you stay away too!

Author: TheDope1 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1843397 of 1947221
Subject: Re: WSJ California Date: 12/9/2012 4:02 PM
There's what California is and there's what CA should be. Thanks to the idiot policies and rampant liberalism, it won't be what it should be.

Author: JoelCairo Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1843407 of 1947221
Subject: Re: WSJ California Date: 12/9/2012 4:48 PM
There's what California is and there's what CA should be. Thanks to the idiot policies and rampant liberalism, it won't be what it should be.

Your knee jerk response couldn't be more totally wrong. What's held California back -- which is a joke, since something else is holding everyone else back more -- is the legacy of rigid, fanatic, anti-tax increase policies and the destruction of the concept of majority rule.

Pure and simple.

Author: CCinOC Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1843408 of 1947221
Subject: Re: WSJ California Date: 12/9/2012 4:53 PM
Gingko wrote: I often wonder about this. You seem to hate this state, yet you are still here.

I absolutely love living here. It's a damn shame what librul policies are doing to this beautiful state. But there will be a point where enough is enough.

Author: JoelCairo Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1843409 of 1947221
Subject: Re: WSJ California Date: 12/9/2012 4:53 PM

This simply isn't true. And it is pathetic that you would ignore its obvious falsehood. 99%. It feels good to have such incompetent moronic opposition to face.

Its about what anyone would expect from the wretched fanatics out at the campfire.

You can rant all you want -- Amurica lets you do that, and even supports you in your old age, and takes care of you. Not that you give a damn or show any care, respect, thanks, or support for what made this country great. You'd rather worship a refugee from the failed czarist state of Russia, that's how smart you are.

Author: CCinOC Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1843410 of 1947221
Subject: Re: WSJ California Date: 12/9/2012 4:59 PM
JoelCairo wrote: What's held California back -- which is a joke, since something else is holding everyone else back more -- is the legacy of rigid, fanatic, anti-tax increase policies and the destruction of the concept of majority rule. Pure and simple.

Nope.

Total State Debt Tops $4 Trillion Dollars, California Ranked the Worst

http://hotair.com/greenroom/archives/2012/09/03/ouch-total-s...

California again trumped other states with a $617 billion debt. California’s debt is more than twice the size of New York‘s state debt, and New York has the second largest total debt burden in the nation. Texas, Illinois, and New Jersey rounded out the top five states with the most debt. Although New York and Texas moved up one and two spots, respectively, the states with the five largest debts remained unchanged from last year’s report.

What does this debt consist of, mainly? You guessed it: unfunded liabilities within the state pension and entitlement programs make up half ($2.8 trillion) of all the accumulated debt.

Author: JoelCairo Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1843414 of 1947221
Subject: Re: WSJ California Date: 12/9/2012 5:01 PM
I think its sad that you quote an organization that hails the failed disaster that was southern nationalism to preserve slavery. But be that as it may...

Anyone with half a brain who can read knows that in an economy as large as California's, not all sectors or regions proceed as well as others.

The Central Valley is doing worst. That's where the problems will be worst.

Most significant cause of fiscal instability: union pensions.

This is a big problem. Not the biggest. That problem has been overcome, and it is the jihadist-like fanaticism of the anti-tax Republicans who hate and dislike democratic government.

Yet the goofuses in California elected yet another Democrat as Governor.

Nope. The same one we had the last four years. You are really out of touch. Not only that, we elected super majorities in the legislature, which is the pre-requisite for bringing democracy back to California and ending the tyrrany of the right-wing fanatics who have done their best to destroy this state.

When it gets intolerable, I'll do what everyone with half a brain will do: move.

If you have half a brain. You may be past that.

Author: sano Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1843415 of 1947221
Subject: Re: WSJ California Date: 12/9/2012 5:13 PM
unfunded liabilities within the state pension and entitlement programs make up half ($2.8 trillion) of all the accumulated debt.

Well, heck, just take all the retired law enforcement officers, firemen, teachers, etc to death valley and shoot them.

Or we could just stiff them all.

6 of one.

Author: CCinOC Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1843417 of 1947221
Subject: Re: WSJ California Date: 12/9/2012 5:21 PM
sano wrote: Or we could just stiff them all.

Or we could saddle our California children with the debt. Which is what we're doing.

Doing it nationally, too.

Author: sano Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1843422 of 1947221
Subject: Re: WSJ California Date: 12/9/2012 5:47 PM
Or we could saddle our California children with the debt. Which is what we're doing. Doing it nationally, too.

Is that your choice then? Saddling our children with debt? or shooting all the people we promised to pay ?

We don't need all those cops and firemen and teachers now really... do we?

The pope will take care of everything.

Let us pray.

Author: Rightime Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1843439 of 1947221
Subject: Re: WSJ California Date: 12/9/2012 6:42 PM

Your knee jerk response couldn't be more totally wrong. What's held California back -- which is a joke, since something else is holding everyone else back more -- is the legacy of rigid, fanatic, anti-tax increase policies and the destruction of the concept of majority rule.

The big problem as you pointed out is the legislative gridlock of the past decade. And true, the majority are held hostage by the minority. That said, taxes have reached a high-water mark. The State must deal with future budget shortfall in ways other than tax increases. The state must deal with the pension system, esp. in light of the overgrown prison system; a small state within the State. Many people try to argue that the infamous/famous Prop 13 has robbed the State of much needed revenue,but the fact is, California is the 14th highest per captia property taxed state for single residential property. Gov. Brown tried to negotiate the prison guards out of the pension and into a 401k, instead he ended the state funded 401k for prison guards. The State has a serious under-funded pension problem on a back-burner that nobody... nobody... want’s to deal with who’s currently in office.

Author: JoelCairo Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1843451 of 1947221
Subject: Re: WSJ California Date: 12/9/2012 7:19 PM
What does this debt consist of, mainly? You guessed it: unfunded liabilities within the state pension and entitlement programs make up half ($2.8 trillion) of all the accumulated debt.

And California is radically different from the other states? Don't think so. In fact, its about where everyone else is.

And since you choose right-wing economists for your data, you have the absolute worst view of things at your command.

Author: TheDope1 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1843456 of 1947221
Subject: Re: WSJ California Date: 12/9/2012 7:46 PM
I think liberal tax chickenhawks should send 95% of their gross pay to the government.

Author: TheDope1 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1843460 of 1947221
Subject: Re: WSJ California Date: 12/9/2012 8:03 PM
You really aren't an American, are you? We don't have tyranny of the majority around here. Stop with the shameless crap. You libs love your walkouts and shutdowns of governments when it suits your purpose.

Author: sano Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1843476 of 1947221
Subject: Re: WSJ California Date: 12/9/2012 9:02 PM
We don't have tyranny of the majority around here.

Depends on what state you live in.... just one example: women in states that voted to require vaginal wanding as a precondition to an abortion have required the courts to protect their constitutional rights.

Author: TheDope1 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1843478 of 1947221
Subject: Re: WSJ California Date: 12/9/2012 9:13 PM
Depends on what state you live in.... just one example: women in states that voted to require vaginal wanding as a precondition to an abortion have required the courts to protect their constitutional rights.

So going across state lines isn't an option? Oh, wait. It is.

You really should move to Washington. libs here vote for tax increase after tax increase and never ask where the money is going. You'd love it.

Author: telegraph Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1843481 of 1947221
Subject: Re: WSJ California Date: 12/9/2012 9:23 PM
"All true, and it's even worse than you imagine. Tell your friends to stay away, and you stay away too! "

The welfare weenies and queenies are moving there in record numbers. The smart folks are moving out when they retire with their money and pensions.....

I just 'visit' the state and try to leave behind the least amount of money possible when I do.

t.

Author: sano Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1843501 of 1947221
Subject: Re: WSJ California Date: 12/9/2012 11:06 PM
We don't have tyranny of the majority around here.

Depends on what state you live in....

So going across state lines isn't an option?

Depends. If the religious zealots ban crossing state lines for the purpose of evading wanding,then it isn't an option.

Nonetheless, it was still tyranny of the majority attempting to deprive women of their civil rights.

Author: TheDope1 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1843511 of 1947221
Subject: Re: WSJ California Date: 12/10/2012 12:12 AM
Depends on what state you live in....

LOL. I live in ultra blue Seattle.

Depends. If the religious zealots ban crossing state lines for the purpose of evading wanding,then it isn't an option.

Right, because that's totally a possibility.

Nonetheless, it was still tyranny of the majority attempting to deprive women of their civil rights.

Don't argue abortion with me. You'll lose and lose badly. You'll find yourself justifying the most gruesome stuff imaginable and I'll laugh while you throw up. Go find somebody else to play with on this subject or come up with an explanation for partial birth abortions.

Author: JoelCairo Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1843521 of 1947221
Subject: Re: WSJ California Date: 12/10/2012 1:39 AM
You really aren't an American, are you? We don't have tyranny of the majority around here. Stop with the shameless crap. You libs love your walkouts and shutdowns of governments when it suits your purpose.

You don't live in the real world. People with your views are in decline, politically, no matter what nonsense you spout.

And it is the nonsense that is the root cause of your political decline into irrelevance.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (34) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement