Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
wtam wrote:

also, *big* point: when he says where the income is sourced is not just a matter of "we did the transactions through my wife's account'. if you put money into her brokerage account, in her name alone, and made a huge gain, when push comes to shove if a CA auditor wants some of that all he has to do is show some of your CA sourced wage $ went into her account (say, via check). Tax authorities are very adept at looking past 'technicality' to get at the economic basis or spirit of the transaction.

I write:
Now THAT does answer my question.

Bob78164 wrote

No. But it may boil down to the not-so-mere technicality of the original source of the funds in the account. If that source was separate property, it gets one treatment. If it was community property, it gets another. --Bob

I write:
And so does this.

So here's my next question. Since it's very difficult to accurately identify the source, can I divide the capital gains in the same ratio as our incomes? Will that be reasonable? Or should I just go ahead and include all of the gains as my income in CA return (it will be safest way, but definitely will not save me anything that I may be entitled to)?
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.