Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: lovingrose Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 5015  
Subject: WWYD Date: 1/23/2013 12:12 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
What would you do? Just curious.

I was contacted last fall by a company selling an alumni book for the university I graduated from. I was supposed to send them $100 for the book. During the conversation, the woman stated, "If you don't pay for it, it will not be sent to you."

I never bothered to pay for it for a couple reasons. 1) I'm never sure if a cold call to me is legit and usually assume it's a scam. 2) I was under the impression that if I did not pay for it, it would not be sent.

Well, about a month ago, I get the book in the mail. They are now calling me about payment.

My question -- is the book mine to keep? Am I obligated to pay for it? Should I return it?
Print the post Back To Top
Author: PineyLevel Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 4736 of 5015
Subject: Re: WWYD Date: 1/23/2013 12:13 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
You're not obligated to pay for it unless you agreed to pay for it. You should ask them to pay postage to send it back.

Author: lovingrose Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 4742 of 5015
Subject: Re: WWYD Date: 1/24/2013 7:00 PM
Recommendations: 0
Thanks. I hadn't thought about asking for postage.

Author: anuvaka Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 4744 of 5015
Subject: Re: WWYD Date: 1/26/2013 4:32 PM
Unsolicited items recieved in the mail do not have to be paid for. Under the way the Federal Mail law is worded it is a gift to you, and you may do what you want with it. Including throw it away, line the bird cage, or actually read it.

Just curious, was it sent from the school or a school associated organization? I sort of doubt the school would go to the expense to print the book, but an out side organization might think it a good money raiser although it is legally ambiguous.
jC

Author: lovingrose Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 4745 of 5015
Subject: Re: WWYD Date: 2/4/2013 11:52 AM
Just curious, was it sent from the school or a school associated organization? I sort of doubt the school would go to the expense to print the book, but an out side organization might think it a good money raiser although it is legally ambiguous.
I'm not 100% positive. I'm thinking the alumni association contracted with an outside company to do this. I believe the people calling me have been from VA or WV. My school is in southern Illinois. Might be a good idea for me to call the alumni association.

Thanks!

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement